Am I the only one who likes to pray prayers written by others?

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟784,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The prayers I'm finding on these apps are nothing short of spectacular. I wish I knew who wrote some of them. They appear nothing short of inspired by the Holy Spirit. I wonder if they were written by canonized Saints or something, they're that good. My human brain could never conjure up the words and structures of those prayers on my own. I can't even name them all, the list of prayers on these apps are huge. But they're such phenomenal looking prayers that I don't feel my own prayers hold a candle to them.

Job3315

Apr 21, 2018
United States
✟89,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The prayers I'm finding on these apps are nothing short of spectacular. I wish I knew who wrote some of them. They appear nothing short of inspired by the Holy Spirit. I wonder if they were written by canonized Saints or something, they're that good. My human brain could never conjure up the words and structures of those prayers on my own. I can't even name them all, the list of prayers on these apps are huge. But they're such phenomenal looking prayers that I don't feel my own prayers hold a candle to them.
God love your prayers as well. He loves listening to the heart if His kids.

Upvote 0

Llleopard

Jun 5, 2018
Hawkes Bay New Zealand
✟135,729.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I just talk with God. I don't use a script when I talk with friends, and can't imagine using a script to talk to God....especially a script I didn't even write. Lots of people in my church feel comfortable with written prayers so you're not the only one, but I gotta say I don't understand the attraction!

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are some beautiful prayers out there. I do a lot of praying on my own as well.

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
I believe that a healthy prayer practice comes in different phases. I used to love praying set prayers for many years, but now I tend to favor my own personal ones.
It comes and goes. Same goes for the rosary. I prayed it over and over in the past, but now? Not so much.

I prayed the rosary and I couldn't get myself to pick up the bible. Now it's the other way around.
Just flow with it is my advise ;)

Reactions: Lady Bug
Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟784,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I believe that a healthy prayer practice comes in different phases. I used to love praying set prayers for many years, but now I tend to favor my own personal ones.
It comes and goes. Same goes for the rosary. I prayed it over and over in the past, but now? Not so much.

I prayed the rosary and I couldn't get myself to pick up the bible. Now it's the other way around.
Just flow with it is my advise ;)
I hate saying this but I actually struggle to have any feelings for the rosary; I don't know why. I had a fire for the Bible a few weeks ago, now I can't get myself to pick it up either. I hope my desire comes back.

• Prayers
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I hate saying this but I actually struggle to have any feelings for the rosary; I don't know why. I had a fire for the Bible a few weeks ago, now I can't get myself to pick it up either. I hope my desire comes back.
We tend to go through phases. Sometimes I love praying, other times, I pray with my forehand squished into the table, with pretty much no enthusiasm, and almost no faith.

On the Rosary, try one decade per day. That's what I did for several months. Just one mystery. Work your way up from that, but give it a go.

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟784,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
p.s. the problem started when I started Douay Rheims but I don't blame it on DR...for years and years I'd been entrenched in the KJV and even though they're SOOO similar that it's not even funny, my brain knows it's been out of its comfort zone for weeks.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
p.s. the problem started when I started Douay Rheims but I don't blame it on DR...for years and years I'd been entrenched in the KJV and even though they're SOOO similar that it's not even funny, my brain knows it's been out of its comfort zone for weeks.
What about a KJV with all 73 books?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
I've thought about it and may consider it. But didn't you say that the KJV had a Protestant bias?

Not to such an extent that it makes a real difference for a person rooted in catholicism. If you prefer it, then read it.
The best bible is the one that you actually read :)

I'm a theologian (or I will be once I've submitted my thesis) and I prefer a calvin one that I got. As long as one knows about the biases, it really doesn't matter.

I tend to prefer an older language as it leaves a certain reverence and dignity to scripture. I get all this from my Calvin bible, so I read it and I prefer it :)

I guess same goes for King James aswell, but for obvious reasons I tend to prefer reading in my native language.

Upvote 0

Beloved2018

Theotokos, Pregnant With Christ, Save Us!
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2018
KY
✟54,640.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I prefer prayers that aren't 'mine' too. My favorite are the Psalms. But I like to memorize them. Best of both worlds I suppose. What apps are you using ?

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟784,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I prefer prayers that aren't 'mine' too. My favorite are the Psalms. But I like to memorize them. Best of both worlds I suppose. What apps are you using ?
the Apps simply say "Catholic Prayers" and I have 3 apps that say that. they are Offline Apps. I wish there appeared to be a specific name for the apps but there aren't any. gosh I wish I could be of more help. :|

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lady Bug

Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟784,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
the Apps simply say "Catholic Prayers" and I have 3 apps that say that. they are Offline Apps. I wish there appeared to be a specific name for the apps but there aren't any. gosh I wish I could be of more help. :|
One app icon is a camel color background, and a "hand" in it. Another icon is dark pink and white and the icon says Catholic Prayers on it. The third app, I realize I have barely touched, so I can't be of more help on that. Anyway, I got them from Google Play store. As I said, they are offline apps. Not sure if this will help...I really hope it does but I can't guarantee it lol.

Upvote 0

Beloved2018

Theotokos, Pregnant With Christ, Save Us!
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2018
KY
✟54,640.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I'll find them. Thanks!
One app icon is a camel color background, and a "hand" in it. Another icon is dark pink and white and the icon says Catholic Prayers on it. The third app, I realize I have barely touched, so I can't be of more help on that. Anyway, I got them from Google Play store. As I said, they are offline apps. Not sure if this will help...I really hope it does but I can't guarantee it lol.

Upvote 0