Am I supposed to be doing anything while on Earth?

Shane260

Nov 21, 2018
Colorado
✟15,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've accepted Jesus as my Savior and now it feels like all I have to look forward to is Heaven. I have no relationships with other people besides some loose acquaintances; my biological family and I have no contact with each other and I'm far too awkward/creepy to attract women so I've given up on that. My job has little opportunity for advancement but it is by far the most secure and well-paying job I've ever had so I don't want to leave it for fear of not getting anything better. I have no other marketable skills, talent, or education.

I was born with health issues and more and more keep cropping up. I fought against that for a long time; until about two years ago I worked out six days per week and was reasonably fit, in spite of my disabilities. Now I get injured so easily that I'm afraid to do anything physical at all. More importantly than that, I have no inclination to do anything but lie on the couch and look up inane stuff online. All of my other hobbies that I used to have are no longer very interesting to me either. What I like best anymore is sleeping.

I'm so uncomfortable around others that I think that I should just avoid everyone as much as is practical. I don't want to hurt anyone but I know how capable I am of doing that so it's better for everyone else if I just stay away.

I guess my question is, would God be okay with me just doing my full-time job and then spending the rest of my time lying on the couch? I've prayed for guidance but He has never spoken to me or pointed me in any direction.

I want to serve God but I really don't know how; I've volunteered quite a bit inside my church and outside of it but always just felt horrible being around other people. I've not gone to my church for several months now because I don't want to be around other people. Aside from what "I want", I'm pretty sure God doesn't want me to snap and hurt other people (right?) and if I don't stay away from others then I'm sure that's what will happen.

Is life anything besides an opportunity to screw up and earn damnation?

• Winner
Reactions: Macchiato

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,223,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Life is for knowing and loving and serving God. How you do that you can freely choose, as a hermit or a parent or any number of ways. It is all opportunity for service, for love, for learning.

• Agree
Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟931,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've accepted Jesus as my Savior and now it feels like all I have to look forward to is Heaven. I have no relationships with other people besides some loose acquaintances; my biological family and I have no contact with each other and I'm far too awkward/creepy to attract women so I've given up on that. My job has little opportunity for advancement but it is by far the most secure and well-paying job I've ever had so I don't want to leave it for fear of not getting anything better. I have no other marketable skills, talent, or education.

I was born with health issues and more and more keep cropping up. I fought against that for a long time; until about two years ago I worked out six days per week and was reasonably fit, in spite of my disabilities. Now I get injured so easily that I'm afraid to do anything physical at all. More importantly than that, I have no inclination to do anything but lie on the couch and look up inane stuff online. All of my other hobbies that I used to have are no longer very interesting to me either. What I like best anymore is sleeping.

I'm so uncomfortable around others that I think that I should just avoid everyone as much as is practical. I don't want to hurt anyone but I know how capable I am of doing that so it's better for everyone else if I just stay away.

I guess my question is, would God be okay with me just doing my full-time job and then spending the rest of my time lying on the couch? I've prayed for guidance but He has never spoken to me or pointed me in any direction.

I want to serve God but I really don't know how; I've volunteered quite a bit inside my church and outside of it but always just felt horrible being around other people. I've not gone to my church for several months now because I don't want to be around other people. Aside from what "I want", I'm pretty sure God doesn't want me to snap and hurt other people (right?) and if I don't stay away from others then I'm sure that's what will happen.

I would pray to God to provide guidance on how he wants you to live your life.

Upvote 0

Shane260

Nov 21, 2018
Colorado
✟15,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would pray to God to provide guidance on how he wants you to live your life.

I've been doing that for a long time now. Either a) He's not responding, b) I can't understand Him, or c) I'm doing everything just right and don't need to improve anything (ha, ha).

Reactions: Macchiato
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟713,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Study Gods word ... share your faith with others ... you can do this online through forums and such. The Lord works through many people and through many venues. Since your are uncomfortable being around people .... look for all the online opportunities.

Jesus died for YOU. God loves you more than your mind can understand. We all "screw up" and we do deserve damnation ... because of Jesus we are saved .... put your faith in Jesus and keep your faith in Jesus by being in His Word daily. Become knowledgeable and share with others.

Follow the Lamb.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,559.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I've prayed for guidance but He has never spoken to me or pointed me in any direction.
God doesn't tell us personally what he has already told us to do.
see hebrews 10v25 which tells us not to neglect to meet together for worship.

May I suggest you get yourself checked out for depression and that you continue to attend church.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

NBB

Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟445,475.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Maybe God has some adventures for you, a lot of peope say he has a plan for every child of his, and i think i agree, seek him a lot, if God does something then your passion about Him will grow, take your time to be with Him, there a lot to be found in God.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟377,931.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
"For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them." - Ephesians 2:10

Our job is to allow God to continue to craft us, and to do good works as the opportunity comes up. We look for easy good works that we can do, and when the Holy Spirit tells us to do other ones, we do them too. This is the purpose in life for every Christian.

Upvote 0

Macchiato

Supporter
Feb 24, 2019
Ccccc
✟137,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've been doing that for a long time now. Either a) He's not responding, b) I can't understand Him, or c) I'm doing everything just right and don't need to improve anything (ha, ha).
Uhh .this is so me right now. I feel maybe were just supposed to lead normal lives. Work,read,go to church... The end. Not everyone will be a Billy Graham ir MOTHER Teresa.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,440,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Uhh .this is so me right now. I feel maybe were just supposed to lead normal lives. Work,read,go to church... The end. Not everyone will be a Billy Graham ir MOTHER Teresa.

It's not necessary to go to the "Internet extremes."

Not everyone will be Billy Graham. But some unknown person was Billy Graham's Sunday School teacher.

In a US Navy aircraft carrier, there are more than 5,000 sailors aboard the ship. Although the purpose of the aircraft carrier is to carry war to the enemy by aircraft, only about 75 of the 5,000 people on board are aviators. The other 4,925 support the 75 who fly.

There are some sailors on the ship whose total role is to do laundry. That's all. Seven days a week (no days off while at sea) they wash laundry. Some clean toilets. Some do nothing but cook food. Although the ship is a vessel of combat, many of the sailors do jobs that are far from warlike, and far from the cocky "Topguns" that they make movies about.

But ask the captain, "Do you actually need those people who wash laundry and clean toilets and cook food?" He'll look at you as though you were a fool.

Just as a body, though one, has many parts, but all its many parts form one body, so it is with Christ. For we were all baptized by one Spirit so as to form one body—whether Jews or Gentiles, slave or free—and we were all given the one Spirit to drink. Even so the body is not made up of one part but of many.
Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of i
t.

The Body of Christ has a mission. Each one of us is given a fragment of that mission, to find our fragment, own it, and perform it, although it might seem very small.

Upvote 0

Joined2krist

CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
✟427,048.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
You should use what you have to help humanity. You might not have gifts or talents but you're working and earning a living, give something out of what you earn regularly to fund a worthy cause, this is what makes us useful, the fact that we have the ability to make someone else's life much better

Upvote 0

Antari Zephyr

Living For Christ.
Mar 25, 2014
United States, Georgia, Atlanta Area
Visit site
✟9,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Teach God's Word to all people, not just in church. Also love and serve God. If you are married, love your spouse, but always love God first.

Walk in the world, not of the world.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟873,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Look at what Jesus said to His 11 faithful apostles.

““I am the true grapevine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch of mine that doesn’t produce fruit, and he prunes the branches that do bear fruit so they will produce even more. You have already been pruned and purified by the message I have given you. Remain in me, and I will remain in you. For a branch cannot produce fruit if it is severed from the vine, and you cannot be fruitful unless you remain in me. “Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing. Anyone who does not remain in me is thrown away like a useless branch and withers. Such branches are gathered into a pile to be burned. But if you remain in me and my words remain in you, you may ask for anything you want, and it will be granted! When you produce much fruit, you are my true disciples. This brings great glory to my Father. “I have loved you even as the Father has loved me. Remain in my love. When you obey my commandments, you remain in my love, just as I obey my Father’s commandments and remain in his love. I have told you these things so that you will be filled with my joy. Yes, your joy will overflow! This is my commandment: Love each other in the same way I have loved you. There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. You are my friends if you do what I command. I no longer call you slaves, because a master doesn’t confide in his slaves. Now you are my friends, since I have told you everything the Father told me. You didn’t choose me. I chose you. I appointed you to go and produce lasting fruit, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask for, using my name. This is my command: Love each other.”
‭‭John‬ ‭15:1-17‬

Jesus said we must bear fruit. There are lots of ways to bear fruit my friend. Helping those in need, spreading the gospel, showing love to others. I would suggest connecting with a bible study group. It is really beneficial to converse with other Christians. Pray and ask The Lord for strength and guidance and rest asured He will provide it. God bless you friend.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kol

Working on it
Jan 24, 2007
✟12,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The soldier reference is a good one. Sometimes we will be out fighting in the field but often you're going to find yourself in the barracks, waiting for your next orders. It's hard to not be impatient, but this is the best time to brush up on your skills and perfect/recover who you are and what your talent is.

I feel you about being separated from people, it really seems best at times to just avoid them altogether. But God did not create us to be alone (and I don't mean marriage necessarily, but social interaction in general.) I really identify with you on this, but there isn't really any single nugget of wisdom that makes a good sound byte. But in general I would suggest that your words sound as if you are withering and not growing, by seeking more solitude.

Upvote 0

Kol

Working on it
Jan 24, 2007
✟12,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Life isn't so much a chance to earn damnation as it is a chance to escape it by following Jesus. It's less like "follow this book exactly or die" I think, and more like "jump off the train NOW." As I've aged I've seen what other's choices have done for them; what you accept as greater than yourself can easily bring you to a very bad spot in life.

The purpose of your life is to glorify God, and God most glorified equates to you, fully ALIVE.

Upvote 0

Ronit

Jul 29, 2017
Oregon
✟34,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

If I was in this situation I would use these free time with God. And being on here

Upvote 0