Am I saved if I trust in the cross of Jesus for my salvation?

Am I saved if I trust in the cross of Jesus for my salvation?

• Yes

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • No

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Don't know

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟886,048.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My Lutheran friend keeps saying this to me, that if you trust in the cross of Jesus for your salvation you are saved.

Opinions and thoughts ...

Edit: Since there's been some confusion around this :

By trusting in the cross I meant of course trusting in Jesus death for our sins and his resurrection for our salvation.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2020
Virginia
✟95,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm no Theologian....but if Christ died and was not resurrected we would be in big trouble! Jesus being the Logos from the beginning.....The Alpha and the Omega.....we may have had our sins forgiven, but it is through His life in us, by the Holy Spirit, the guarantee(r) of our life to be, in the resurrection.

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My Lutheran friend keeps saying this to me, that if you trust in the cross of Jesus for your salvation you are saved.

It depends on what trusting in the cross of Jesus means.

It means different things to different persons.

I could trust the elevator will bring me to the second floor,,,but if I don't get on it,,,I won't get to the second floor.

• Agree
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'll put it this way.
You have an accident who rescues you is it the police car or the police man?

What saves you a wooden cross or the Son of God who died on that cross to pay for your sin, yourguikt, your shame etc etc.

Such are you going to trust a piece of wood or the risen Son of God.

It is a no brainer to me, but I'm biased.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Well that is what the scripture is really talking about.

1 Corinthians 15
Now I make known to you, brethren, the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received, in which also you stand, by which also you are saved, if you hold fast the word which I preached to you, unless you believed in vain. For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures,
and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

It depends on what they mean by the cross.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others

No---the cross is a pile of wood---you have to trust in Jesus.

Upvote 0

Marumorose

Nov 30, 2019
Polokwane
✟37,738.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

You need to obey the Lord to be saved
John 14:15 says "If you love me, keep my commands"
1 John 2:4 says "The one who says, “I have come to know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him"
May God Bless you

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
By trusting in the cross I meant of course trusting in Jesus death for our sins and his resurrection for our salvation.
Some take "trust in the cross" as believing a piece of wood can save you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Really... Who on earth believes that?
There was a HUGE market in Europe during the middle ages for "Pieces of the True Cross." If all the toothpick size slivers were added up you could have made a forest. People believed those splinters had magical powers to save them from disaster and heal them from disease. It also was an instant by-pass of purgatory and got them straight into heaven.

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Good Day, Peter

Speak to your friend about Luther's Theology of the Cross it is rich and a very beautiful theology. I am sure you will find that he statement has it's foundations in the complete work ( active and passive) of Christ on the cross as laid out in the whole of Scripture.

I agree!

In Him,

Bill

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

He's right, although there are many ways of saying the same thing and people often get tangled up in disputes over exactly which way of saying it is best. :)

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

The cross was made of wood. We should trust God for our salvation, period.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The cross was made of wood. We should trust God for our salvation, period.

Good Day, Pescador

God in his plan selected the Cross of wood for the means by which His only Son would be sacrificed to ( God) Himself for the forgiveness of the sins of his people. It is because of that cross we now have peace with God and have no condemnation under the Holy requirements of a just God.

In Him,

Bill

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Jesus said:

It is the spirit who gives life. The flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and are life.
John 6:63

Most assuredly, I tell you, if a person keeps my word, he will never see death."
John 8:51

By what I know, Jesus doesn’t say the same about the cross.

I would rather trust to his words than to a cross.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Good Day, Pescador

God in his plan selected the Cross of wood for the means by which His only Son would be sacrificed to ( God) Himself for the forgiveness of the sins of his people. It is because of that cross we now have peace with God and have no condemnation under the Holy requirements of a just God.

In Him,

Bill

You might as well say that God in His plan selected the Roman soldiers as the means by which His only Son would be sacrificed. It is because of Jesus' death and resurrection that we have peace with God. If the cross of wood was the means, then those on either side of Jesus (as well as thousands of others) brought about the forgiveness of the sins of his people.

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You might as well say that God in His plan selected the Roman soldiers as the means by which His only Son would be sacrificed. It is because of Jesus' death and resurrection that we have peace with God. If the cross of wood was the means, then those on either side of Jesus (as well as thousands of others) brought about the forgiveness of the sins of his people.

Good Day, Pescador

Well God has a foul-proof plan and can not be thwarted in his purposes... that is what makes Him God.

Presupposes that the others were God in the flesh, sinless and made Sin for others.

An assertion that has no basis... so no it does not mean that.

In Him,

Bill

Upvote 0