• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Am I in the faith or am I a reprobate?

jamesup7777

Mar 29, 2013
USA
✟21,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?”—2 Corinthians 13:4, 5

After a long life (58 1/2 years) of mental illness/depression, I have come to the end of the road.

When I was 18, my father led me to the Lord I thought. He made it clear who Jesus was and what He did for mankind. At the time, I repented and asked Him to be my Savior.

40 years later, looking back, I saw a few seasons of spiritual growth, then no growth and then a little more growth until now, where I am totally empty of faith and assurance.

There were a few moments of happiness sprinkled in with 2 divorces, but that was about it.
I never fit into this world. I was never really accepted by most and I have lived a life mainly in a recluse existence. It didn't help that I was my worst enemy.

Seeing a pattern of rejection by most people in the church and at my jobs through the years, I finally just gave up on life this past February.

I am totally alone now and have no close friends or family members anymore. I have lost faith that I am or ever was a Christian. I don't want to go to hell. I want to go to heaven, but if I examine my life as it is now, I would say that I will go to utter damnation.

Does anyone know the feeling of waking up everyday to hopelessness? No more dreams and no more hopes. Zero self esteem and a mental paralysis. All I see are my habitual sins that I confess to God, but go back and do them again. A viscous cycle. At the very least, these sins have kept me out of fellowship and moving away from God. I have nothing left but emptiness and hopelessness inside. No faith in myself or God.

I am sorry for the long post. At this point all that awaits me is hell looking at my life and sins. I surely don't want to go to hell. I must have prayed the sinners prayer a million times. I know salvation is more than a prayer, it is a lifestyle. My heart is pricked when I do sin, but am I nothing more than one of those seeds that was never grounded in soil?

Am I saved? I have so much Biblical knowledge, but as I sit here I seem utterly lost and doomed.

Can a real Christian feel this hopeless and doomed and ready to just die?

Thanks for any replies.

God is good

Oct 4, 2016
Michigan
✟201,885.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?”—2 Corinthians 13:4, 5

After a long life (58 1/2 years) of mental illness/depression, I have come to the end of the road.

When I was 18, my father led me to the Lord I thought. He made it clear who Jesus was and what He did for mankind. At the time, I repented and asked Him to be my Savior.

40 years later, looking back, I saw a few seasons of spiritual growth, then no growth and then a little more growth until now, where I am totally empty of faith and assurance.

There were a few moments of happiness sprinkled in with 2 divorces, but that was about it.
I never fit into this world. I was never really accepted by most and I have lived a life mainly in a recluse existence. It didn't help that I was my worst enemy.

Seeing a pattern of rejection by most people in the church and at my jobs through the years, I finally just gave up on life this past February.

I am totally alone now and have no close friends or family members anymore. I have lost faith that I am or ever was a Christian. I don't want to go to hell. I want to go to heaven, but if I examine my life as it is now, I would say that I will go to utter damnation.

Does anyone know the feeling of waking up everyday to hopelessness? No more dreams and no more hopes. Zero self esteem and a mental paralysis. All I see are my habitual sins that I confess to God, but go back and do them again. A viscous cycle. At the very least, these sins have kept me out of fellowship and moving away from God. I have nothing left but emptiness and hopelessness inside. No faith in myself or God.

I am sorry for the long post. At this point all that awaits me is hell looking at my life and sins. I surely don't want to go to hell. I must have prayed the sinners prayer a million times. I know salvation is more than a prayer, it is a lifestyle. My heart is pricked when I do sin, but am I nothing more than one of those seeds that was never grounded in soil?

Am I saved? I have so much Biblical knowledge, but as I sit here I seem utterly lost and doomed.

Thanks for any replies.
Just know that God loves you and that Jesus is your Lord and Saviour. God is with you and He can help you because He wants to help you and He loves you. God bless you and Jesus is Lord.

Upvote 0

Paulus59

Nov 8, 2016
Australia
✟95,789.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Thanks for any replies.

For sure, I'm one of them. I became a Christian at 16 years of age after reading the Gospels and falling in love with Jesus. I was baptised and received the Holy Spirit and my spiritual journey was great, but I also struggled with mental illness which caused some problems in my spiritual walk, to cut a long story short I made a huge mess of myself and like you just didn't seem to fit in this world at all. Many times I was convinced that I had blasphemed the Holy Spirit and had lost my salvation, but I found out later that many Christians have also struggled with the same problem. The best way I found to cope was to ignore my feelings - hard at times - and just read and study my scriptures - especially the Gospels, and pray daily. Keep seeking God's face everyday and keep praying and keep reading your scriptures despite what you may feel. I found that helped me to quieten the voice of the accuser in my head. Even though your life may be a mess you can still go on a journey of self-discovery. God can still open doors up for you and take you in a different direction in your life. It's when you totally let go and realize that there is no good in us and that we can't do anything to save ourselves that things can change.

I hope this has helped you somewhat? Please don't give up there is always hope in Christ! Pray that God opens your heart so that his spirit may flow freely and let him show you truth. I will say a pray for you. Only God is good and we love him for that!

Yours truly,

Victor.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Christ inme

Jul 24, 2019
Liverpool
✟8,324.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
“I am the vine; you are the branches. The one who remains in Me and I in him produces much fruit, because you can do nothing without Me. If anyone does not remain in Me, he is thrown aside like a branch and he withers. They gather them, throw them into the fire, and they are burned.
John 15:5‭-‬6 HCSB
John 15:5-6 “I am the vine; you are the branches. The one who remains in Me and I in him produces much fruit, because you can do nothing without Me. If anyone does not remain in Me, he is thrown aside like a bran | Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB) | Download The Bible App Now

Reactions: jamesup7777
Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟775,645.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Hi Jamesup7777
You have not committed the sin against the Holy Ghost. Very few have or ever will. Those who have will never be concerned about their relationship with Jesus, nor will they feel contrite about their sins.
If you are like me and wondering while we still mess things up when we have been in the faith for many years, then I have some words of encouragement for you. Paul put it in Hebrews 4:15-16 (CEV) - "Jesus understands every weakness of ours, because he was tempted in every way that we are. But he did not sin! So whenever we are in need, we should come bravely before the throne of our merciful God. There we will be treated with undeserved kindness, and we will find help".
Yes it is right that we should turn away from our sin. But getting into heaven is not based on how many good works we have done, how confident we feel or our worthiness. It is because of God's unfailing mercy and infinite love and offered to us through the gift of His Son. Remember the criminal who was crucified next to Jesus. How could he ever prove his worthiness, yet he still pleaded to the Lord - "remember me". Jesus comforted and reassured him saying "today you will be with me in paradise".
Jesus loves you - and longs for you to draw closer to Him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Thanks for any replies.
Sorry to read of your situation. The fact that you write of your plight demonstrates that you have not completely hardened your heart. A real Christian can feel hopeless - witness the parable of the prodigal son which I assume you are familiar with. After hitting rock bottom as a result of living in habitual sin, he felt hopeless as he felt the pigs ate better than he did. Upon this realization he decided return to his father seeking forgiveness. In commenting upon this, notice that Jesus twice stated that the prodigal "was dead, but alive again." The only way someone can be made alive AGAIN is for someone to be made alive in Christ when he becomes saved and then become spiritually dead because of habitual sin. He becomes alive AGAIN when he repents and seeks forgiveness from God the father.

Based on the example of the prodigal son, only you can answer whether you are saved. But the good thing is that now you know how you can accurately assess your spiritual condition and take whatever steps you need to take. Like the prodigal, you may have wasted your inheritance but the good new is that the Father is always waiting to welcome you back when you repent by forsaking sin.
Hope this helps you.

Upvote 0

PizzaAddict

Jun 23, 2019
Krakow
✟11,331.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Thanks for any replies.

You asked if you are saved , I can't answer that you must answer it yourself . You either believed in vain or in correct gospel .

1 Corinthians 15:1-4

^This is the gospel definition by Paul
Then if you believed so you are sealed with Holy Spirit Ephesians 1:13-14
and become born again , you can't become unborn again is not possible .
Also read Ephesians 2:8-9 , Galatians 2:16 , Romans 3:28

What you feel is caused because of the sin you doing over and over again which makes you depressed , thing is you will never be able to overcome this sin untill you get new body and refreshed mind after ressurrection. For now you are just forgiven sinner.

Also because your sins are forgiven if you spend all your time worrying about them then you are useless for kingdom of God and not doing the things you could do if you were more happy than currently sad.

Not saying you should sin as you will but forgive yourself if even God alredy forgiven you and do something productive instead like share the good news of salvation to somebody else .

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Yes i know very well how that feels. For me the change came when i realised that i was divided within by my sin and that i had to seek God with all my heart also where i was stuck with sin. So i began to confess my sins to Him while i was sinning and telling Him how much these habitual sin had hurt me.

i found that Jesus divided myself within myself the one who was stuck with sin. The sheep who hurt the sin were liberated and the goats who enjoyed the sin perished out of me. This happened because i dare trust in His grace and thank Him for forgiving me the sinner i was and had been.

This is where the biggest change came. i learned to love God more because of His continual grace over me than my sin and left my sin behind after 45 years of fruitless battling in fear of God and my salvation. The trick is to grow thankfully loving then it becomes easy to break with very stubborn sin. When we fear hell however we don't have faith in Christ and He will not liberate us from our sin.

So please James treat your sin as living in you - NOT AS BEING YOU - but as you know are stuck with it! Faith in God's love liberates from sin like nothing else can. Please be of good courage and look at Jesus whenever the accuser comes around in your guilty conscience and plead the blood of Christ. All of us have to do that!

Much love brother.

A good sermon by Jeff Vines on the life changing love of Jesus brings into the life of those who have faith in His love.

Life Changing Love

Upvote 0

Tempura

Noob
Site Supporter
May 2, 2010
✟320,561.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
The worst things in my life have paved way for the best things. In all my despair, in which at one point I was ready to kill myself, I have grasped Christ through all my fear and unbelief.

It was never in myself, the answer. It wasn't about how low I was or how high I could get. I could never perform. I could never "be good". All I knew was how to mess up everything and run into the same walls until my figurative head was bleeding out.

Does anyone know the feeling of waking up everyday to hopelessness? No more dreams and no more hopes. Zero self esteem and a mental paralysis. All I see are my habitual sins that I confess to God, but go back and do them again.

Yes. Absolute depression, feeling so broken that no love could ever reach me, and if it did, it wouldn't want anything to do with me. Everything in my surroundings seemed to rot with me. Years and years and years of it. I'm still picking up the pieces and trying to clean it. When I tried to "feel" God, most of the time I got only condemnation, and I saw my sins as something great, as if they could topple down the cross. All of this is a lie. It doesn't feel like a lie, it feels like the truth. We're so beaten by our experience and our feelings that the dark pillow pressing against our face seems like the only reality. Everything good, hopeful and wholesome seems like it's from another world. It seems like people living that life are in the Matrix or something, like they're clueless about real darkness, or that they're "better" and as such they get to love and to hope.

I respond to fear. It is what I do, instinctively. I've had anxiety and intense fear for most of my life. It becomes a problem when I obey that fear when it's all swollen up and beating me down, when I say to it in my heart: "you are right". But it's not right. It's absolutely wrong. It doesn't get to be right.

When I think of righteous people, I know I'm not one. Where there are demands, I can't fulfill them. Where there is love, I'm like an insane man barricading all my surroundings against it all the while screaming "I NEED IT".

I'm absolutely nothing. In time, I lost all my faith in my own ability. I lost my faith in my faith too. I thought I lost my faith in God, but I was still praying to the one I doubted, to somehow handle all of this, because I can't do any of it. There is honesty in those moments, when we just know that we can't produce what we need and long for the most. It is good to go to God with that kind of honesty. We can't pretend, we can't put up a performance. He knows. And we know too, deep inside. If we're defeated, then we are. But this is where we hope, and we hope for what we can't see. There's something inside us that's crawling to light, crawling to Christ. Something that doesn't want to let go, even if we lie on the ground in defeat. We didn't put that "something" there, we didn't plant it inside ourselves. God did. He pulls us. He knows what He is doing, even if I don't know what I'm doing.

For some of us, dependence in God is molded and strengthened this way. Failure, defeat, emptying of ourselves. It's like we have to crumble into nothing, and then God will start building His own foundation, namely Christ, in and for us. I can't trust myself. I don't even want half the things I want, let alone the things I do. I don't even trust in the strength of my own understanding or faith, I just trust God now. He is the source of love, hope faith and all good things. I'm not, that much is painfully clear. All good things come from Him. It was painful to realize that I can't deserve any of it. We say we don't deserve God's love, but it's a different thing to know it by heart, through experience. We say we are sinners, but it's the most bitter pill to swallow when we really understand it. It's not about some surface-level "I'm not perfect" sentiment, but it's more like a horrifying realization. If I don't fight it, I only get a little bit of that realization, but if I really fight it, then I know that I'm truly tainted by sin, and it has defeated me. It's like the battle of Romans 7:7-25 but only without the last triumphant scream of joy, because I was still focusing on my sin and "the game", not on Christ.

Little by little, fear starts to subside. No matter how long it takes, no matter how conditioned we are to believe otherwise, no matter how often it slaps us around. When we're in the dark, Christ starts to shine against that darkness. The lower we are in the pit, the higher He is. We start to realize bit by bit who He is, what He did for us, why He did it, and that He lives even now, and He is the same as He is ever was. When we're thrown around by fear, our sweet Savior can turn into a tormentor in our hearts. But perfect love finds its ways to get through. It will get through. It is what we want. It is what you want right now. God knows it is what we want. God is what we want. God has a Christ for our want. Christ is not only sufficient, He is more. What we can't do, He can. What we can't be, He is. Where we fall, He lifts.

This is what He does: we will stop staring at ourselves, our sin, our failure, our misery. We will start putting our eyes and hopes in Him. It's not about my dos and don'ts, I could never handle that in the first place, I'm such a miserable bastard. But we learn to take these burdens to Him. It's not wrong to confess and ask for forgiveness, but we can also ask for a trusting heart, perseverance, good faith, and leave our burdens to Him. No matter how many times it takes. In time we will know that this is not just a meaningless ritual, and we start to trust in the fact that He can carry all of these burdens. Not only that, but He WANTS to carry them. How often do we try to convince God to do something good, instead of believing that He is good and wants to do good already because it is His nature? So while at first we are occupied with ourselves, in the end we will be occupied with Him, even enjoying Him, trusting that His love, grace and care is far beyond any father here on earth. And we have some excellent fathers, at least some of us do.

God's love is not like we treat love. Here on earth, love is often something we trade. I "love" you like this, you "love" me back like that. It's almost a currency. We think it's something we deserve, and also something others should deserve from us. If I don't have it, then I didn't deserve it. If I have it, then I must have done something right, but will it last? God's love passes our understanding, much like His peace. If only we believed it. It's hard to believe, I know. But it's still the one thing we need the most.

I won't bore you with details, but this is where I am now - in contrast to where I was before. I believe God is love. I believe Christ has won all things, and He stands with the Father, presenting Himself a sacrifice on my behalf (yours as well). Father sees His Son, and everyone in His Son - you included - as righteous. Our righteousness isn't in us or what we can do, it's in Christ. His righteousness is for us. And nobody grasps this wonderful Christ as hard as someone who is pummeled and tormented by their sin and despair. I believe He has strengthened my faith, not me. I believe He has enabled me to persevere, not me. I believe all good things that I might do, is not me, it's Him working in and through me. I believe my sin doesn't get to sit on a throne anymore, as if it's something majestic and immovable. My sin is nothing compared to Christ. I don't want to sin, but when I do, I don't get despaired anymore. I get up. Christ is on the throne now, not my sin, and I will leave that battle for Him. He can fight it for me. He can take my filth. His love will take the bad and turn it into something good. No matter how long it takes, no matter how many times I have to drag my filth to His cross. He is the Lord, He wants to take it, and He will rule. He has gotten me through suicidal depression, He has gotten me through alcoholism, He has gotten me through the times when I lost my faith. Some habitual sin remains, but He has gotten me great victories and will only do more. I didn't do any of it. I can trust Him better now, and where I still don't trust Him, I will have all the opportunities to pray, as I am, for His will to be done in me how He sees fit, in His good time.

When I read "blessed are the poor in spirit", I know that's me. I'm destitute. But Christ says I'm blessed. So strange. Until it becomes reality. I am blessed, and I did nothing to get it. I only failed, and that "something" refused to let go. Call it the spirit, the mustard seed, or something else, but God refuses to let go.

You are not a lost cause. Christ will not lose you. In time, you will know Him, believe Him, and love Him. It's all about Him. No matter how much we fail, fear, lose. He is better than we can give Him credit for. Perseverance, faint hope, strong hope, actual faith, conviction and trust will follow. Many good fruits, and all of them come from Him, for you to share for your neighbor, and you won't share out of fear or out of hoping to get something out of it, you will share because you want to. And you will not judge your brothers and sisters. This is one of the good things that come for the people who have suffered or who have been beaten up by their sin. They will not judge, and they will encourage. All this stumbling encouragement I'm trying to give to you, I believe is from Him. If I stumble, if I can't say the right things, if I didn't encourage you, then it was my failure, not His. But He will get through. All of the brothers and sisters who encouraged you too, were prompted to do so by the Spirit, according to God's will. He has not given up on you, you see. He will get you, and He will embrace you like the Father of the prodigal son.

Wonderful poem about Christ seeking the lost sheep:

"Where are you going Shepherd?
To find My sheep.
How far will you go?
As far as My sheep.

How far may that be?
To the world's end.
How long will you seek it?
Until I find it.

When you find it,
will it come to you?
No, it will flee from Me.
Where will it go then?
To the rocks and the sand.

When will it stop?
When it can run no more.
What will you do then?
Carry it home.

Said a prayer for you.
God bless you brother. Christ with you. No fear.

Last edited:
Upvote 0