Am I denying Christ by not bringing up the subject?

Lybrah

Apr 26, 2016
Maryland
✟62,145.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Say you're a teacher and your class is full of Muslim students. You never speak to them about God because you will most certainly lose your job. You just don't bring it up and teach what you were hired to teach (math or Spanish). If one of them asks a questions about Christ, you can't really express your viewpoint, so you say you can't have that discussion with them or redirect them back to their work. You don't say He doesn't exist, but you don't get into it either. Is that denying Christ?

And say you have brought up Christ to friends and family outside of work, and they've made it clear they don't want to hear it, so you don't bring it up anymore, is that the same as denying Christ?

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
My opinion is that neither of these constitutes denying Christ. But I wonder why you feel that you must say nothing when a Muslim student asks a question about Christianity. The schools may have a policy on this, but the most obvious way to handle that kind of situation is not to clam up, but to say "Well, Most Christians believe X....because....."

You might, depending upon how elaborate an answer you want to give, say "whereas Muslims believe...."

That answers the question and puts the Christian POV before the inquirer (who probably hasn't been told what the Christian actually believes or why he does so), but doesn't have you taking a stand for or against either faith.

But if the school requires you to refuse to answer because it's a math class, it wouldn't be a denial of Christ on your part, no.

Upvote 0

fat wee robin

Jan 12, 2015
✟47,420.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My opinion is that neither of these constitutes denying Christ. But I wonder why you feel that you must say nothing when a Muslim student asks a question about Christianity. The schools may have a policy on this, but the most obvious way to handle that kind of situation is not to clam up, but to say "Well, Most Christians believe X....because....."

You might, depending upon how elaborate an answer you want to give, say "whereas Muslims believe...."

That answers the question and puts the Christian POV before the inquirer (who probably hasn't been told what the Christian actually believes or why he does so), but doesn't have you taking a stand for or against either faith.

But if the school requires you to refuse to answer because it's a math class, it wouldn't be a denial of Christ on your part, no.
Perfect answer .

Upvote 0

John Davidson

Apr 6, 2016
United States
✟20,664.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Say you're a teacher and your class is full of Muslim students. You never speak to them about God because you will most certainly lose your job. You just don't bring it up and teach what you were hired to teach (math or Spanish). If one of them asks a questions about Christ, you can't really express your viewpoint, so you say you can't have that discussion with them or redirect them back to their work. You don't say He doesn't exist, but you don't get into it either. Is that denying Christ?

And say you have brought up Christ to friends and family outside of work, and they've made it clear they don't want to hear it, so you don't bring it up anymore, is that the same as denying Christ?

I would say no it is not denying Christ. When we go to work we are being paid to do a job.

You can talk about your faith when you are off the clock.

Upvote 0

Justaman0000

Visit www.DiscoveringGod.net
Dec 10, 2008
Everywhere
Visit site
✟21,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Your own conscience is condemning you. Not the Holy spirit. We all as Christians have that feeling of wanting to save everyone and at the same time wanting to speak up about Christ to everyone because for some reason we think not doing so is sending them to their destruction. A lot of times. Especially in today's world. Speaking up about Christ comes off as "shoving him down people's throats". So it seems to do more harm than good lately. At least with the people that I have been around. Not that you shouldn't speak about him.

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married

No- it isn't denying Christ. I've experienced this reality/scenario a few times over the years (was a teacher). I don't feel a bit guilty for maintaining my professionalism.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
If a muslim student wants to know about Jesus you can, outside of class have a word with him or her or maybe leave them a NT so they can read for themselves.

If friends and family don't like you talking about Jesus that doesn't mean you are denying him, as you have planted a seed anyway, but you don't have to go on about Him if they don't have ears to hear.

God sees you and will give you the words to say at the right times. Nothing really can stop us from professing Christ so you can pray for boldness in witnessing, but you are not denying him by not speaking up, you only deny Him if you actually say you don't know Him, when you do, like Peter did.

Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

Lybrah: You can contact ADF and ask them more about what legal rights a teacher in your state has...
http://adflegal.org/issues/religious-freedom/k-12/key-issues/teachers-coaches

Upvote 0