Am I making the wrong choice by leaving my church for another?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

InChristCAH

Aug 29, 2017
Calgary
✟7,732.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am faced with one of the most heart-wrenching decisions of my life. Even as I type this I feel the sharp stabs of anxiety with every intake of breath.

I belong to a fellowship of believers that carry fundamental values. We split from a group of believers in the 70's that was very extreme and borderline, cult-like. (I hate using that term to describe Christians as I am appreciative of the entire Christian assembly). They were called the exclusive brethren. We apparently carried over some of the principles in an attempt to return to the truth, but rejected quite a lot of what went wrong with them. Im only 26 and have no intimate knowledge of the split, but i did grow up in my current fellowship with a constant understanding that we had a more "pure" way of exploring scripture, which i find somewhat questionable.

In order to break bread in my fellowship, you must commit yourself to it first. It is seen as a vow and you ultimately fulfil your responsibility to remember the Lord each sunday through that vow. While we have some amazing teaching, and i enjoy the community links we have world-wide (we are only about 400-500 people, its very small) I have been deeply disappointed in relationships. Out of the 4 I've been in (it is strongly discouraged to look outside the fellowship for partners) all of them have presented, in differing instances... inappropriate content habits, cheating tendencies and drinking problems that ultimately caused the relationship to be imbalanced and topple over as I would not tolerate it. After the last one failed (he was 35 and had a sickening inappropriate content obsession) I was deeply depressed and by chance I met someone amazing, who is NOT from my fellowship, rather, a raised catholic who is exploring the protestant church and finding his place in Christianity. We are aligned in our thinking in nearly every instance. He is a man of God and a really amazing human being. I couldn't help but feel that he was an answer to prayer. He was equally struck by me and something very tender began to develop between us that i'd never experienced before.

The trouble is, in order for us to be together... it is BEST that I go to him. That is, i move across the country to pursue a serious relationship with him, with the ultimate intent of marriage and a family. (btw this did not start as an online relationship, we met for the first time in person when he contacted my business account to discuss photography over coffee). He is open to joining my fellowship but the sacrifice on his part would be enormous and he wouldn't be greeted with warmth, but rather, suspicion as his upbringing and pressure to commit and settle into my fellowship. However, on the flip side... me leaving fellowship to attend another church and pursue a relationship with another believer is seen as me breaking a vow and would result in excommunication from my fellowship, and perhaps worst of all my family would cut ties with me. I work for my father which adds another level of stress.

I am enormously frightened. But i know that if i stay in my current fellowship, I will not get married or have children. The community is too small and I'd only marry for convenience and desperation to have children and not for love. My mom even told me that some people "just aren't supposed to get married" and that God may not have someone in mind for me. This led me to feel heavy guilt because I don't know if what I am intending on doing is self serving. Perhaps it is wrong to break my commitment to my church to join another... but it is a heavy burden and I've been searching the scriptures for evidence that this is indeed, a sin.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Ajflyguy7

Aug 12, 2017
Central Coast, California
✟23,990.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I am faced with one of the most heart-wrenching decisions of my life. Even as I type this I feel the sharp stabs of anxiety with every intake of breath.

I belong to a fellowship of believers that carry fundamental values. We split from a group of believers in the 70's that was very extreme and borderline, cult-like. (I hate using that term to describe Christians as I am appreciative of the entire Christian assembly). They were called the exclusive brethren. We apparently carried over some of the principles in an attempt to return to the truth, but rejected quite a lot of what went wrong with them. Im only 26 and have no intimate knowledge of the split, but i did grow up in my current fellowship with a constant understanding that we had a more "pure" way of exploring scripture, which i find somewhat questionable.

In order to break bread in my fellowship, you must commit yourself to it first. It is seen as a vow and you ultimately fulfil your responsibility to remember the Lord each sunday through that vow. While we have some amazing teaching, and i enjoy the community links we have world-wide (we are only about 400-500 people, its very small) I have been deeply disappointed in relationships. Out of the 4 I've been in (it is strongly discouraged to look outside the fellowship for partners) all of them have presented, in differing instances... inappropriate content habits, cheating tendencies and drinking problems that ultimately caused the relationship to be imbalanced and topple over as I would not tolerate it. After the last one failed (he was 35 and had a sickening inappropriate content obsession) I was deeply depressed and by chance I met someone amazing, who is NOT from my fellowship, rather, a raised catholic who is exploring the protestant church and finding his place in Christianity. We are aligned in our thinking in nearly every instance. He is a man of God and a really amazing human being. I couldn't help but feel that he was an answer to prayer. He was equally struck by me and something very tender began to develop between us that i'd never experienced before.

The trouble is, in order for us to be together... it is BEST that I go to him. That is, i move across the country to pursue a serious relationship with him, with the ultimate intent of marriage and a family. (btw this did not start as an online relationship, we met for the first time in person when he contacted my business account to discuss photography over coffee). He is open to joining my fellowship but the sacrifice on his part would be enormous and he wouldn't be greeted with warmth, but rather, suspicion as his upbringing and pressure to commit and settle into my fellowship. However, on the flip side... me leaving fellowship to attend another church and pursue a relationship with another believer is seen as me breaking a vow and would result in excommunication from my fellowship, and perhaps worst of all my family would cut ties with me. I work for my father which adds another level of stress.

I am enormously frightened. But i know that if i stay in my current fellowship, I will not get married or have children. The community is too small and I'd only marry for convenience and desperation to have children and not for love. My mom even told me that some people "just aren't supposed to get married" and that God may not have someone in mind for me. This led me to feel heavy guilt because I don't know if what I am intending on doing is self serving. Perhaps it is wrong to break my commitment to my church to join another... but it is a heavy burden and I've been searching the scriptures for evidence that this is indeed, a sin.

Thoughts?
I think it is sad that religion is causing such an issue in your family, in your church, and in your life. Your church family and family should be happy that you have found someone who you can share your life with and who will make you happy. I am not religious, but would think that as long as you continue to worship and follow the teachings of the Bible, you should be fine. I'm sorry you have to deal with all of the judgement from these people. You should do what makes you happy, as long as you are staying in line with your beliefs. Good luck to you!

Upvote 0

Elliewaves

Untouchable internet saint
Dec 18, 2011
✟99,677.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
No, I do not think it is a sin for you to go to another church if you intend to pursue God there, even with a man special enough to you to be in a relationship with. If this man wants to pursue God/worship God with you and intends to treat you respectfully and honorably; then I do not think it would be wrong at all. Your current church situation does sound like a cult unfortunately; especially if your family would cut you off for finding love with a godly man or deny you any human love at all by threatening to disown you if you leave. That's not healthy or real love that honors God, imo. And I also think that any church that makes you swear or vow to them only is not in line with Christ and His teachings. Why wouldn't a God honoring church want one of it's members to grow in the Lord, follow where He leads, be in a Christ honoring relationship even if it's not within it's own members, feel afraid for wanting to see where God is leading, not pray with you about it, want you to feel like you must stay there at all costs and marry someone with a inappropriate content addiction just so you can say you married within the group? Your church sounds VERY VERY VERY unhealthy. Perhaps God brought you together with this man to help you leave something very ungodly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

Thoughts?

Hello,

Unless your vow consisted of more than just remembering the Lord every Sunday, then I do not see how it is breaking your vow to attend a different congregation. You describe your congregation as splitting from another that was cult-like, but if your congregation isolates you from others who are not part of your group, then that is also cult-like. It is not Christ-like to treat any visitors with suspicion, but rather they should be warmly welcomed.

My parents attended a Baptist church for about 30 years and held leadership roles as elders and deacons, but they eventually were led to join a different congregation. They met with the leadership to explain why they were leaving and on their last Sunday there the congregation laid hands on them, prayed for them, and they departed with their blessing. My parents still keep in contact with some of the friends they made and my mom still meets with her prayer group every week. In my view, that is the proper way to send people off, so I see something very dysfunctional with your situation. I would prefer to get married to someone who has similar views as I do because we would be more compatible, but I have no pressure whatsoever to marry within my congregation.

So while you may be betting amazing teachings in your congregation, I wonder if you would be better off as part of a different community of believers. There are other excellent teachers out there. However, it is nevertheless very risky to do something that would cause your family to break ties with you and then go off without any support to a new location, especially if your relationship with this guy doesn't work out. It's a hard decision that only you can make, so I won't recommend anything other than lots of prayer. It is God who convicts us while it is our accuser who uses guilt.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Instrument150

Aug 6, 2017
Pensacola
✟14,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed

Thoughts?

Your anxiety is born of two things.

Firstly, the belief that your current church is above all others, has settled into your subconscious. The tempter would not have you learn this, so you are bombarded with anxiety to make you consider leaving this concept in the dust of pride.

Secondly, you consider changing out of idolatry towards this man that you claim is Godly. And, HE MAY BE. You are looking for a kind of love that exists only in the devil's plan. Go to his new Church, receive instruction on the proper path to Oneness with Christ. Do so to accept the hand of Jesus in marriage, and focus your attention on this Spiritual Union. Love the man you have met in the same regard that you love everyone else in the world. Do not place Him above anyone else. Do not have sex with him. If you have, explain to him why you can no longer. Fulfill your work in Christ's name sister

Upvote 0