Oct 3, 2012
Canada
✟20,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Happy,

I'm glad to know that you have chosen to make steps in breaking contact with her. And yes, if you don't feel comfortable with talking to your pastor about this issue, than by all means go to the higher ups, which would be the church leaders. It sounds like your pastor may also have issues as well. Or you can just forget about doing all that and just move to your brothers and just start fresh. This would be my step. Putting it all behind you and start your life fresh.

As for the speaking in tongues issue, this is a contreversial topic for many Christians, as some believe that tongues is not for today. And as you say, your church believes that if you speak in tongues than you have the Holy Spirit. This is NOT true. The Holy Spirit can fill you and give you different types of gifts. If one reads the verse in 1 Corinthians 12, they will see that the gifts are given to SOME, not all. To SOME is given the gift of tongues, to SOME are given the gift of prophecy. It does not say to ALL, it says SOME.

And it is a flat out lie that anyone would teach that if anyone speaks in tongues this is a sign that you have the Holy Spirit. This lie comes from the pits of hell. Satan has so much distorted this thinking. Also how does one know that when they start speaking in tongues by the laying of hands, that this is right from the Holy Spirit or from God Himself? How do they know that it would be a different spirit or demon speaking curses over someone's life? I have seen this happen many times.

So Happy, do not worry if you have the Holy Spirit or not. You probably already have the Holy Spirit operating in your life. The Holy Spirit can be very quiet when He comes into your life, however you would notice a change in your walk with God. Where it would become stronger and your ways start to change for the glory of God. In my thinking you are doing just fine in your walk as a young believer in Christ. However I believe that God is teaching you something from all of this. He can also use you to expose counterfiets in churches and warn others.

So about this gift in tongues thing it is only given to SOME, and to others the gift of prophecy. So for example I may speak in tongues, but this does not mean that you have this gift. The Holy Spirit may give you the gift of discerning of spirits but not give you the gift of tongues. This doesn't make you any less of a person or a believer.

Also in many mainline churches, especially Pentecostal, Charismatic and the Vineyard groups they do not test the spirits or the giftings. They also have the gift of tongues all distorted and it is not even biblical. If you do a study on tongues or read in the bible regarding this you will find what God expects when operating with the gift of tongues and you will see that your group does not follow the gifts biblically.

So I hope that this helps you in some way to understand and see what exactly is going on in your church. I could go on about this but it would require a few hours of talking on this subject.

As I young believer in Christ Happy, you are doing fine. I'm rooting for you. Keep your head up and stand firm. Blessings to you.

Moriah Ruth

Upvote 0

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Happy - I'm so glad you have decided to move on and get the fresh anointing in your life. You have had a very good lesson with all this and God will use you to help others out of the confusion that some people put upon us.

Legalism in churches makes more people leave than anything else. You have now learned to listen to the Holy Spirit - that is what led you to seek help. Just be very loyal to the leading of the Holy Spirit. Don't worry about the tongues - it gets very confusing because so many people believe different about it. My thoughts are if you are a Christian and ask God for the infilling of the Holy Spirit, it will be your prayer language that comes - the Bible says if we ask for a fish God won't give us a rock (Or something to that extent) meaning what you ask God for - He will not give you something that is not of Him. But grow in your faith and when you are ready, if this is the gift God has for you - it will come - don't force it or believe that you have to have it. That is not true.

You are in my prayers and wishing you God's speed in your move.

Upvote 0

Happy to help

Feb 19, 2013
United States-New Jersey
✟7,951.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Everyone is really great on here and I thank everyone. I will try and find a way to take this to the church leader. I would love to help people out of the spirit of confusion. It would be my pleasure to serve god in any ways i can. Thank you all so much for your godly wisdom. Its been a little roller coaster ride in the beginning but now i can finally safely start my beautiful relationship with christ. a men

May god bless you all.

Upvote 0