• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.
  7. There has been an addition to the announcement regarding unacceptable nick names. The phrase "Let's go Brandon" actually stands for a profanity and will be seen as a violation of the profanity rule in the future.

Am I a good person?

Discussion in 'Spiritual Formation & Disciplines' started by Mark Dohle, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Mark Dohle

Mark Dohle Well-Known Member

+1,164
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others

handsreachingup.jpg

Am I a good person?

People will ask me at times what I think of our human nature. I will speak from my own experience of myself, as well as use the words and concepts of a Christian.

Am I a good person? Well no, I do not believe that I am. I often have to struggle to simply make the more humane choice, because at heart I am still self centered in the worst sense of the word. I am prone to self destructive behavior; I have to work on not using others, to reducing them to the level of a ‘thing’ or an ‘object’ to be used. I am lazy, driven by my desire for comfort and safety.

If left to myself, if I become indolent in my spiritual life I will drift towards chaos. In the Christian tradition this is called ‘sin’. It is not an action, but a state of being, of self centered being, of making oneself the only real thing, the center of the universe. The evil that I actually carry out is ‘sin’ but it has its roots in my human nature. In Christianity we call this fallen. So left to myself, I am in hell, isolated from others, but only capable of using or of going against them, at heart I am at war. This does not mean that I am totally evil either, but in need of healing mercy and grace. I say this without being neurotic about it, guilt is guilt, and it leads to self knowledge.

The ‘flesh’ is concerned with survival, with eating, procreating, acquiring power and prestige. The more I desire any of the above, things that I find ‘good’, becomes in the end, that which causes me to do evil. Because I have to go after what I desire, over and against others who seek the same things. We see it in our cultures. Life is hard, we seek to escape it, either through pleasure, power or love in all of its forms. All or much of it is self centered and doomed to failure.

Yet I also desire the good, the holy, to become whole and to love others. Christ says in order to find life we have to die to ourselves, so that a bigger, better, more expansive life can take root and grow. It is grace I believe that calls us to this new life. Christians know this because of Christ Jesus, all others who seek this are responding to the grace of Christ I believe. Jesus said “seek and you shall find”.

Many people fight this concept of sin, yet it seems to be the best term to show the mess we continually get ourselves in. Our wars, with other countries…. with ourselves and those around us, as well as the inhumane aspects of our cultures, the striving of personal power over others, and the acquiring of more wealth that we can ever spend and ignoring the needs and suffering of others…all point to the reality of sin.

In the end, all must submit to the truth, we each seek it I believe, some more consciously than others, but we are all seekers. It is the submission that is the hard part, to understand that there is a deeper center calling us, to me that center is Jesus Christ. Knowing that I am loved, sought after by the Infinite love, compassion and intelligence, causes me to respond by allowing this love, mercy and grace into my heart. Life changes after that, the center changes, and is replaced by the True Center. When we seek, we are responding to graces promptings. It is not esoteric, hidden, but there in our everyday lives, in the people we meet, the friends we make, what we read. We are challenged by our culture, by others, to choose, the way to a deeper more expansive life is the harder road to travel.

Understanding the reality of sin and my own struggles, I am not shocked nor am I surprised by the failures of others, be it politics or in the religious arena. Without grace, or our seeking after it, we will sink into an abyss. In order for the world to change, it has to come from the transformation of the heart, from that will flow the healing of our societies. Government programs will not help, nor will more laws, nor fighting, nor endless debates. The transformed heart is a loving heart, for it then is free to live out the image that it is made in.—Br.MD

Attached Files:

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. createdtoworship

createdtoworship In the grip of grace

+1,711
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    one thing I see lacking in your post. Faith. Trusting God. Giving Him your every thing. Yes we are prone to sin, but we can have victory. We don't have to live for ourselves, we can potentially live for something higher than ourself. If that is not what the purpose of life is, I don't know it. Good post.

3. OldWiseGuy

OldWiseGuy Wake me when it's soup. Supporter

+10,604
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    Time is your friend. With time comes experience and maturity. Responsibility also tends to focus one on things other than oneself. We are a work in progress. Patience and faith are key. Hang in there. God is in charge and He won't let you down.

4. Mark Dohle

+1,164
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    Tlhank you. Each will read and take away from any post here. Trust is the foundation of any ol faith. Trust and fear can exist on equal, for when we fear, we cannot trust fully.

thank you for your comment ;-)

Peace
    mark

5. Mark Dohle

+1,164
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    Hanging iln there, very important.

Peace
    Mark

6. Wrangler

Wrangler Member

+90
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    I think those that question that they might not be good are on the right track. To even question the glory of oneself could be so limited as to be in the "wrong" or "bad" category takes a certain ego ripe for Christ's strength to shine through your weakness. Bravo!

7. Mark Dohle

+1,164
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    The death to self is a life long journey, into deeper joy and union with Christ Jesus.. thank you for you comment :-}

Peace
    Mark

8. com7fy8

com7fy8 Well-Known Member Supporter

+5,331
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    If we understand that God's love does not have us just use people, this can help us to find out how to love . . . with God.

9. Frank In Christ

Frank In Christ New Member

+2
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    Creating a "great watcher" within, that watches the ego in action with my thoughts and actions has been the first step in starting the death of one aspect of myself. The simple act of watching my ego has somehow disarmed its free reign of my self.