Earth
✟34,388.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I've been dating a woman for about 6 months. When I met her, she wasn't an Orthodox Christian or a Christian at all, but she also wasn't an atheist or any other religion. She was simply nothing and wasn't sure what to believe. I realize this is a heavily Protestant forum, so I must say that this isn't the place for a faith debate. She was very curious about my faith and has since become Orthodox in her beliefs. COVID-19 has prevented us from going to church, but the idea is that one day, when this all settles down, she would enter the church fully.

Shortly after I met her, she told me about a little girl in her life. The little girl, she said, is her male friend's child. This isn't my girlfriend's child, as the child is half black and my girlfriend is white (the child's mother is black). Both of the child's parents are involved in the little girl's life, although they aren't together. My girlfriend's relationship with this child is very unique and a bit strange. She tends to act like her mother even though she clearly isn't.

My girlfriend showed me photos of this child, and they were all of her, the male friend, and the child, in this place and that place. Naturally I asked why she hadn't had a relationship with this man, and she told me it would never work like that and it "wasn't like that."

A few weeks into dating, she took me to this man's house and I met him and the child. It turns out that this man is a terrible human being and insulted my faith and my girlfriend the whole time. I was stunned and didn't know what to do or what to think. When we left I told my girlfriend that this isn't right. She proceeded to tell me the truth. They had dated 10 years ago and he was abusive. He hurt her quite badly, but she stated friends with him all this time because he "had nobody else." Then he had the child and my girlfriend grew attached to her.

For me, that was enough. I told her that I'm not trying to control her when I say this, but she couldn't have both me and this man and her strange relationship with this child in her life at the same time. I couldn't live like that. She told me she would distance herself.

As the days, weeks, and months went on, he began harassing her. He shows up at her job all the time and she hides it from me. She eventually comes clean. When we're together, sometimes her phone will light up with his name and I'll briefly see profanities and insults. I told her I've noticed these things and she needs to end this because again, this isn't something I'm willing to tolerate. She said she only does because of the child. I had to bluntly tell her that this isn't even her child!

About a month ago I was at her house and we were watching a movie. He showed up banging on her windows and shouting her name. He was high on drugs. He didn't expect me to be there. He was told where he can put it and to leave. I then find out, about a week later, she was with him "giving him a ride" at midnight! I told her that I cannot accept that my girlfriend is with her abusive ex, alone, let alone at midnight!

And then today happened. She was showering and her phone was on the table by me. It rang. It was him. Naturally at this point I'm so frustrated and confused that I did a bad thing but I don't regret it. I went through her phone. She has seen him on many occasions and never said a word about it. They talk A LOT. He shows up to her job A LOT. I saw plans that she is supposed to leave work early Tuesday to see him and the child so that I wouldn't know.

I haven't spoken to her about this yet. I've told her often how strange and inappropriate this is. I've given her scenarios: say we're married two years from now. I'm supposed to accept you leaving our home to go spend time with your abusive ex and HIS child? Never! I cannot accept this.

What do you make of this situation? Am I being played a fool? She claims it's all for the child, but the child is only 3, and she's kept a strange relationship with the man for 10 years after the break-up.

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
She is a liar.

She won't stop lying because it's inconvenient for her. She doesn't value you or anyone enough to tell the truth.

Christian men who actually live out their faith are so rare they are like unicorns.

Toss this one back and get a decent woman. I've done as you are currently doing and can tell you that it's not going to work out well.

Run away and find another one.

Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟676,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm wondering if he has her hooked on drugs. He sounds like a dangerous sociopath. He is probably using his daughter to manipulate her too, and she is using the daughter to justify maintaining a relationship with this person. It sounds cliche and I don't understand why but some women like guys who treat them like dirt. We don't know enough to know if you should just break ties. Do you love her?

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is not ok. This is a very dangerous, weird situation, is not fair to you, and is not healthy for anyone. Please break it off with this woman. Find a good, kind, loving Christian woman, hopefully Orthodox, and take it from there. I would not continue to see this lady.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
My hat is off to you. I think that you have been patient beyond what is required in any relationship, and have given her ample time to decide where her priorities lay. And in this case she has clearly shown you by her long list of actions that you are not the priority in her life.

You need to pay attention to that, before you find yourself in a dangerous situation with this other man.
For your own sake, please leave her alone.
She has chosen, and unfortunately it's not you. :crossrc:

Upvote 0

ImAllLikeOkWaitWat

For who can resist his will?
Aug 18, 2015
✟327,957.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I can't recollect one time where a partner acted in a way you couldn't trust and it ending well. There are some people you just can't trust no matter what you do.

Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟244,737.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I've been dating a woman for about 6 months. When I met her, she wasn't an Orthodox Christian or a Christian at all, but she also wasn't an atheist or any other religion. She was simply nothing and wasn't sure what to believe. I realize this is a heavily Protestant forum, so I must say that this isn't the place for a faith debate. She was very curious about my faith and has since become Orthodox in her beliefs. COVID-19 has prevented us from going to church, but the idea is that one day, when this all settles down, she would enter the church fully.

I would break it off. This isn't the sort of person you want to marry. Just because she has successfully deceived you does not make you a fool. People who act this way tend to be rather skilled when it comes to deception. I suggest ending it. Rip off that band-aid. :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,098,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
You can't trust your life with someone who can't be trusted. You're well being is in danger. You don't know what she is capable of; and they might be working together to play you. No contact. If she persists, you might consider a restraining order.

P.S. Try to let her go gently. Speak calmly. Don't let her get you upset. She could be vengeful. Danger!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
and they might be working together to play you.

^^^ This Right Here ^^^

There are satanic people who target Christians on dating sites and try to cause them problems and ruin their lives.

I think that this actually happened to a friend of mine.

That's what they do, set people up, seduce them, harass them, curse them etc. They are just bad people.

Upvote 0

Melody Suttles

SingPeace
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2018
Atlanta
✟79,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

Shortly after I met her, she told me about a little girl in her life. The little girl, she said, is her male friend's child. This isn't my girlfriend's child, as the child is half black and my girlfriend is white (the child's mother is black). Both of the child's parents are involved in the little girl's life, although they aren't together. My girlfriend's relationship with this child is very unique and a bit strange. She tends to act like her mother even though she clearly isn't.

My girlfriend showed me photos of this child, and they were all of her, the male friend, and the child, in this place and that place. Naturally I asked why she hadn't had a relationship with this man, and she told me it would never work like that and it "wasn't like that."

A few weeks into dating, she took me to this man's house and I met him and the child. It turns out that this man is a terrible human being and insulted my faith and my girlfriend the whole time. I was stunned and didn't know what to do or what to think. When we left I told my girlfriend that this isn't right. She proceeded to tell me the truth. They had dated 10 years ago and he was abusive. He hurt her quite badly, but she stated friends with him all this time because he "had nobody else." Then he had the child and my girlfriend grew attached to her.

For me, that was enough. I told her that I'm not trying to control her when I say this, but she couldn't have both me and this man and her strange relationship with this child in her life at the same time. I couldn't live like that. She told me she would distance herself.

As the days, weeks, and months went on, he began harassing her. He shows up at her job all the time and she hides it from me. She eventually comes clean. When we're together, sometimes her phone will light up with his name and I'll briefly see profanities and insults. I told her I've noticed these things and she needs to end this because again, this isn't something I'm willing to tolerate. She said she only does because of the child. I had to bluntly tell her that this isn't even her child!

About a month ago I was at her house and we were watching a movie. He showed up banging on her windows and shouting her name. He was high on drugs. He didn't expect me to be there. He was told where he can put it and to leave. I then find out, about a week later, she was with him "giving him a ride" at midnight! I told her that I cannot accept that my girlfriend is with her abusive ex, alone, let alone at midnight!

And then today happened. She was showering and her phone was on the table by me. It rang. It was him. Naturally at this point I'm so frustrated and confused that I did a bad thing but I don't regret it. I went through her phone. She has seen him on many occasions and never said a word about it. They talk A LOT. He shows up to her job A LOT. I saw plans that she is supposed to leave work early Tuesday to see him and the child so that I wouldn't know.

I haven't spoken to her about this yet. I've told her often how strange and inappropriate this is. I've given her scenarios: say we're married two years from now. I'm supposed to accept you leaving our home to go spend time with your abusive ex and HIS child? Never! I cannot accept this.

What do you make of this situation? Am I being played a fool? She claims it's all for the child, but the child is only 3, and she's kept a strange relationship with the man for 10 years after the break-up.

RUN - DO NOT WALK, BUT RUN TO THE NEAREST EXIT!!!
Half way through your post I knew she was in a relationship with this man; it appears obvious. The little girl has nothing to do with it. She may care for the child, but if the little girl isn't hers, then the link between them is a thin one at best.

He is pursuing your "girlfriend" because he is jealous of you. But I believe neither of them are to be trusted. You may be in danger, and I would strongly suggest that you also seek wise council from a Godly male - someone you trust and who you believe to be wise.

"They twist the facts, mislead, lie, avoid taking responsibility, deny reality, make up stories, and withhold information. (Psalms 5:8; 10:7; 58:3; 109:2–5; 140:2; Proverbs 6:13,14; 6:18,19; 12:13; 16:20; 16:27, 28; 30:14; Job 15:35; Jeremiah 18:18; Nehemiah 6:8; Micah 2:1; Matthew 12:34,35; Acts 6:11–13; 2 Peter 3:16)
Evil hearts play on the sympathies of good-willed people, often trumping the grace card.
(Proverbs 21:10; 1 Peter 2:16; Jude 1:4)."

----- Quoted from Article, "5 Indicators of an Evil and Wicked Heart"

1 Corinthians 15:33 Do not be deceived: “Bad company ruins good morals.”

Genesis 3:12-13 The man replied, “It was the woman you gave me who gave me the fruit, and I ate it. Then the Lord God asked the woman, “What have you done?” The serpent deceived me,” she replied. “That’s why I ate it.”

Judges 16:4 After this he loved a woman in the Valley of Sorek, whose name was Delilah.

I pray for your friend's soul and dearly hope that she will come to true faith. I pray for you as well, that you see clear the intents of the hearts and minds of this couple regarding you; your welfare, and your future. I pray the Lord increases knowledge, wisdom and understanding in you and that He guards your mind and heart while you seek His will.

God bless you!

Upvote 0

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
OP, sorry if I sounded harsh.

I just think that you deserve better.

I would imagine that it is very challenging to find a person who is Orthodox to date but maybe you can at least just find a Trinitarian Christian who already believes in The Lord Jesus Christ who is Catholic / Baptist etc. and then just try to tell them about Orthodoxy.

Upvote 0

ForHimbyHim

May 18, 2020
Nairobi
✟55,269.00
Country
Kenya
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Abused women are complicated, he basically has broken down all her boundaries and she can't say no. Sadly it won't be just to him.

I think you need to let her know what you have found, tell her what your thoughts are and break it off. I know my view is very different, but she may actually care for you, but she really needs deliverance, healing and counselling. Which you may not be able to provide.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Frugality

Renewed
Apr 17, 2020
Earth
✟34,388.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
OP, sorry if I sounded harsh.

I just think that you deserve better.

I would imagine that it is very challenging to find a person who is Orthodox to date but maybe you can at least just find a Trinitarian Christian who already believes in The Lord Jesus Christ who is Catholic / Baptist etc. and then just try to tell them about Orthodoxy.

I hear you all loud and clear. I have a lot to consider.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I get all the comments here, and minus the child, they are fine, but how about a little more compassion for the helpless one stuck in what appears to be a terrible situation.

She said she only does because of the child. I had to bluntly tell her that this isn't even her child!

Really?

Maybe it is about the child to her, and maybe it should be to others as well. Sure it's a bad, even complicated situation, but still....

Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0

Joined2krist

Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
✟427,078.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
There's a soul waiting to be won to Jesus, perhaps God has sent you to her life to change this entire situation. We can't always expect perfection in everything but we should be rest assured that "all things work together for good for those that are in Christ Jesus and called according to His design purpose" Romans 8:28

Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

On one hand she is the victim of a sociopath so I have an amount of sympathy for her. That she wants to be in this child's life is a good thing. Your gf is the most stable person in her life and it's not bad that she's there.

The problem is that your gf chooses to put up with the ex's sociopathic and abusive behavior and she hides it from you, probably because she's ashamed of it. She is an emotional trainwreck whether you realize it or not. Until she gets help for herself, you need to end things with her. Don't try saving a damsel in distress, she's only a distressed damsel.

• Winner
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0