Am I A Christian?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Folks,
According to the rules you have to agree to the Nicene Creed or the Apostolic Creed. While I do not necessarily disagree with the Nicene Creed I also don't fully agree with it (where does the theory that the Son proceeds from the Father come from? Or that the Son is eternally begotten? They are not quite "Scriptural" phrases at least in my mind and I like to avoid them)...I also am not sure I am entirely convinced in the inspiration of Scripture and I lean toward the eventual reconciliation of all souls to God (George MacDonald; William Barclay; Origen). However I feel I can basically agree with all the tenets of the Apostolic Creed so in the eyes of the forum I am a Christian right?
I'm just a little confused. :p Sorry. I attend a conservative church/university and know that my ideas are a bit unorthodox but I am not entirely convinced? Just exploring?
Respectfully,
David Mackey.

Jeff,

I am surprised that you would give such a positive response, in the absence of sufficient information. In view of your fanaticism for the Trinity, I am lead to assume that this guy is a Trinitarian.

Nevertheless, I believe that the question should be asked, 'what exactly do you believe about the inspiration of the Scriptures'? And what exactly do you believe about "reconciliation to God"?

Though these may appear to be minor problems, they may prove to be great enough to completely alienate someone from the truth of the Gospel, and the meaning of the Sacrifice.

Upvote 0
I hold to the Trinity...I believe in Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.
Concerning the inspiration of the Scriptures....I am not sure on my exact position on this matter. I guess I mainly do not see any claim of inspiration for the N.T.
Concerning reconciliation to God...I believe that it may be possible for people after death to accept the forgiveness provided for by Jesus Christ and thus path from hell to heaven.
Respectfully,
David Mackey.

Upvote 0
David,

How exactly do you see this "after-death repentance"? Do you believe in the existence of a real 'eternal fire'? Or do you believe that all of that is a lie, and misunderstanding of Scriptures?

RE: the NT

I understand what you are saying. Though some of the problem may lie in the understanding of what "inspiration" means.

Upvote 0
"After-death repentance" would be a turning from one's sins and an acceptance of God's grace as the only possible cleansing. Thus a person would still rely on the all-sufficient gift of God in order to be saved.
I believe that I believe in a real "eternal" fire however I have heard convincing arguments that "eternal" is really "age-lasting" and intend to continue to do research on that matter. However well hell in itself or eternal does not necessarily mean that man must stay in hell eternally, in the common orthodox view.
Respectfully,
David.

P.S. (ir - thanks for the carm link).

Upvote 0
davidshq said:
"After-death repentance" would be a turning from one's sins and an acceptance of God's grace as the only possible cleansing. Thus a person would still rely on the all-sufficient gift of God in order to be saved.

That's quite a vague response. You simply rephrased that first part ("after-death repentance"). "Turning from one's sins" is part of "repentance."

May I remind you of the fact that, if one is able to repent after death, once faced (or offered?) with the option of either going into "eternal fire" or to heaven, then that is a contradiction of a need for repentance "in this life". What need would we have to preach to the world about salvation, when it will make no difference? I say that it will make no difference, because it is an easy choice; "heaven or hell?" Of course, heaven!

The reason they don't choose heaven in this life, is because they can't see it, and they seek only the desires of the material world. But once you die, and you are told to choose between 'punishment' or 'reward', what do you think the asnwer will be?

davidshq said:
I believe that I believe in a real "eternal" fire however I have heard convincing arguments that "eternal" is really "age-lasting" and intend to continue to do research on that matter. However well hell in itself or eternal does not necessarily mean that man must stay in hell eternally, in the common orthodox view.

In this I have to say that I agree, to some degree. Yes, the idea of "never-ending" punishment does not quite compute. The use of words such as "eternal, everlasting, perpetual, etc." do not always mean "never-ending". I think the only safe thing to say, in regards to 'eternal-fire' is that, it will be a place where the wicked will be sent. How long? We don't know, only God knows. But I sure don't want to be there, ever!

Blessings!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ByGrace

Jul 18, 2003
Salt Lake City
✟1,928.00
Faith
Christian
davidshq said:
I hold to the Trinity...I believe in Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.
Concerning the inspiration of the Scriptures....I am not sure on my exact position on this matter. I guess I mainly do not see any claim of inspiration for the N.T.
Concerning reconciliation to God...I believe that it may be possible for people after death to accept the forgiveness provided for by Jesus Christ and thus path from hell to heaven.
Respectfully,
David Mackey.
You are teaching false doctrine. You might want to think about this. No insiration for the N.T.???? Ummmm, wasnt it written by the Holy Spirit through eyewitnesses to Jesus' life? If not then God is lying. I for one dont believe that.

Upvote 0
I do not believe that people will turn to Christ the instant they are presented with the choice of heaven or hell once they are dead and can see the reality of both before their eyes. As strange as this may seem I see many truly repenting in an instant but many others refusing for a long time. How many souls will be too prideful to bow the knee? How many souls will believe through their own ambition they can make of hell a heaven? How many souls will refuse to accept the grace of God?
I see no quick escape for souls...I see however a quick escape for those whose souls are ready and yet where never given the chance on this earth to hear that great gospel of Christ.
Have you ever read C.S. Lewis' The Great Divorce? I enjoyed reading this book extremely and the implications he draws are much what I might draw for my theology.
Respectfully,
David Mackey.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.