• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Aluminum Dust

ActionJ

Beware ... not really a " Chr
Jan 27, 2013
✟10,638.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Private
I didn't see a specific category for toxins so I thought I would post my question here.

Are there any experts or knowledgeable individuals who have studied the possible effects of working around aluminum dust on a day to day basis? I've been working with aluminum propane cylinders for about 9 months. The constant lifting, moving, filling, transporting, and delivery of these cylinders causes them to wear against each other and create a dust that deposits an almost black powder on my hands and arms every day. When I shower at the end of the day the tub is darkened by a black soot.

During the winter months I wore long sleeves and didn't notice any side effects as a result of working with these aluminum cylinders but now I'm wearing short sleeves. I don't know if there is a connection but I've recently become almost narcoleptic after work. I used to stay up until about 10:00PM but I'm ready to "crash" these days at 7:30 or 8:00. Could there be a relationship between aluminum dust and excessive sleepiness?

I don't drink alcohol or do any narcotics of any kind and my diet is basically the same as usual so I don't attribute my sleepiness to those things. I suppose that working in the heat could factor into the equation though.

C-Man

Apr 12, 2010
Texas
✟9,173.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Wear a dust mask, and a long-sleeved shirt. I used to cut brake rotors when I worked in the auto parts, and when I did brake work and stuff. Before I wore the mask, at the end of the day, I'd hack something up, and I could see the gray metal dust in there. That's bad news if you breathe that junk in.

I don't think aluminum is bad by itself if it gets on your skin, but who knows what else is in that dust. But if it is bothering you, you might want to consider a change of profession. No job is worth wrecking your health.

Upvote 0