Altar Calls

D

dies-l

Oh, I agree! A public profession of faith does not HAVE to be at an altar call. Yet, that is where I have seen most public professions made.

I have seen many professions of faith at altar calls, but , the vast , majority that I have seem to never bear any lasting fruit. And, in many cases the altar caused harm in causing an inaccurate idea of salvation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Heisluv

Jul 6, 2013
✟15,327.00
Faith
Christian
dies-l said:
I have seen many professions of faith at altar calls, but , the vast , majority that I have seem never bore any lasting fruit. And, in many cases the altar caused harm in causing an inaccurate idea of salvation.

My experience has been the opposite. I am not denying yours or trying to invalidate it. Just different experiences.

Upvote 0

aWalkbyFaith

Sep 17, 2013
Austin, Texas
✟15,283.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Should altar calls be continued? They don't seem to be biblical.

Blessings!

It can be seen as an act of faith. Is it required to be saved? No. But to say that it's wrong is a bit of a stretch don't you think?

I think of Rom 14. One brother had the faith to eat meat. Another brother had the faith to only eat vegetables. That was a big issue back then with the Law. Then Paul said " 20 Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food."

If a brother goes up to the front on an alter call and is saved, it's unto the Lord. And if another brother does not go up the alter and is still saved, it is also unto the Lord.

Upvote 0

DamonRambo

Pastor
Oct 11, 2013
USA
Visit site
✟15,404.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Let me explain what an altar call is for those who may be unfamiliar. It is an invitation made by the pastor at the close of the sermon for seekers to come to the front of the church and either to kneel at the platform or a "mourners bench", or to stand in the front to be prayed for. Sometimes there are "altar workers" in the front that will pray with the seekers. The seeker is encouraged to repent of their sins and accept Jesus as their savior.

The altar call was intiated around 1800 by Charles Finney and was promoted by the camp meeting movements. The church got by without altar calls for 1800 years. Is there a better way of making invitations without taking up 15 minutes after each service to make an altar call?

Ken :bow:

I am uncomfortable with altar calls, and have been trying to nudge our church away from them...

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Our church doesnt do them..only believers come to our church gatherings on sundays.
Im pretty sure if a non believer did turn up God would give them the oppurtunity but not in front of everyone like some churches do that embarass everyone every week, and the same ppl go up every week. Thats why the preachers in those churches say to keep your eyes closed.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
There are times when alter calls are needed,the Preacher should use his discretion by the Holy Spirit.

It is not about how comfortable you make people ,it's about the call to salvation by the Holy Spirit.

We should be able to make a outward confession of accepting Christ.

Matthew: 10. 32. Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven. 33. But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

The Church a person goes to shouldn't be a social club ,it is a place of worship, teaching,and for those seeking the Lord who are lost.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

now faith

Veteran
Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
I am uncomfortable with altar calls, and have been trying to nudge our church away from them...

Why would you nudge people from the opportunity for salvation?

What are we commanded to do?

Our fundamental mission is to bring God's Word to those who are lost, if you are already saved why would a alter call bother you?

1 John: 1. 5. This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. 6. If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: 7. But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. 8. If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10. If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us. - Bible Offline

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Our church mostly evangelises the lost outside of the church, not within the church. Thats why we dont do them all the time i suppose.

It seems to be the seeker friendly ones that do them, like the mega churches where crowds of people go that arent all christians.

Im not against them, but, if youve already celebrated..eaten and drunk the Lords supper you dont need to do an extra altar call.

Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Now faith, the elimination of the altar call has no bearing on salvation. I've seen this time used more for Christians moving membership than seeing people come to salvation. The one church I went to that did not do altar calls by far did the most baptisms, which clearly tells you how many people came to the pastors to discuss salvation.

I'm not disqualifying all altar calls. I don't believe they are necessary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Now faith, the elimination of the altar call has no bearing on salvation. I've seen this time used more for Christians moving membership than seeing people come to salvation. The one church I went to that did not do altar calls by far did the most baptisms, which clearly tells you how many people came to the pastors to discuss salvation.

I'm not disqualifying all altar calls. I don't believe they are necessary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree the altar call has no bearing on salvation.
At times people will seek God by going into a Church,they know they are lost yet need a time of calling.
Generally you can set your watch by the service ritual, but the Stranger has no idea of the protocol.

In a large Church the stranger may be missed for even a greeting,so I believe a open invitation allows for the opportunity to pray with a Deacon or Pastor.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikedsjr
Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Our church mostly evangelises the lost outside of the church, not within the church. Thats why we dont do them all the time i suppose.

It seems to be the seeker friendly ones that do them, like the mega churches where crowds of people go that arent all christians.

Im not against them, but, if youve already celebrated..eaten and drunk the Lords supper you dont need to do an extra altar call.

I wouldn't count anyone out for being Christian, mega Church or small one.
Evangelism outside the Church is great, but if someone gets saved we cannot just say there your fine.
Discipleship is a necessity in order to mentor a babe in Christ.

As you know one person plants the seed,the other waters and God redeems the harvest.

It just may be the time you get someone to come to Church that they are ready.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
well no but in mega churches it seems there are more likely non christians going there.
Because the mega church does an altar call every single week, and they have three services a day, and everytime I have been they did one.

discipleship is ongoing and we always affirm we are christians by praying together, reading scripture, participating in the lords supper.

Evangelism is more effective outside the church, that is where the lost are. It may be yes they are ready to start going to church to fellowship but most of the time people are converted outside of it, God reaches out to where they are and draws them in, its not likely unbelievers would think of just going to church, the only time they would go is if someone asked them for social reasons or food or some other reason and not really for Jesus. If someone does come and you discern they are ready you can tell them the gospel and pray to receive the holy spirit, but, usually its a more one on one and its not 'all you sinners come to the front!'

Upvote 0

koko081012

Dec 8, 2014
✟7,722.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Are you sure John the Baptist wasn't "alter calling"? I mean the message is pretty much the same right? "repent and be saved" ... He was baptizing large crowds of people. I mean.. I guess the shore isn't exactly an alter.. But I don't think it would have looked much different.. Just a thought.. Iv not studied it or anything it's just what popped in my head!

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
well no but in mega churches it seems there are more likely non christians going there.
Because the mega church does an altar call every single week, and they have three services a day, and everytime I have been they did one.

discipleship is ongoing and we always affirm we are christians by praying together, reading scripture, participating in the lords supper.

Evangelism is more effective outside the church, that is where the lost are. It may be yes they are ready to start going to church to fellowship but most of the time people are converted outside of it, God reaches out to where they are and draws them in, its not likely unbelievers would think of just going to church, the only time they would go is if someone asked them for social reasons or food or some other reason and not really for Jesus. If someone does come and you discern they are ready you can tell them the gospel and pray to receive the holy spirit, but, usually its a more one on one and its not 'all you sinners come to the front!'

There is no question about Evangelism outside the Church is our commission.

Mark: 16. 15. And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. 16. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. 17. And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; 18. They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

If the mega church crowd has numbers of unsaved I guess altar calls are needed just as much there,as anywhere.

Upvote 0

ScottA

Author: Walking Like Einstein
Supporter
Feb 24, 2011
✟33,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Let me explain what an altar call is for those who may be unfamiliar. It is an invitation made by the pastor at the close of the sermon for seekers to come to the front of the church and either to kneel at the platform or a "mourners bench", or to stand in the front to be prayed for. Sometimes there are "altar workers" in the front that will pray with the seekers. The seeker is encouraged to repent of their sins and accept Jesus as their savior.

The altar call was intiated around 1800 by Charles Finney and was promoted by the camp meeting movements. The church got by without altar calls for 1800 years. Is there a better way of making invitations without taking up 15 minutes after each service to make an altar call?

Ken :bow:
I hate alter calls. Absolutely there is a better way. Don't get me wrong...if it is or was perfect for someone - great. But I would venture to say, that for every person who responses to an alter call, an equal number are driven away by the awkwardness, never to return.

There should definitely be a time for a pastor to invite people to seal their relationship with God - but coming to church? They have already come forward! Asking again, is as much an opportunity to retract. No alter call! Thank them for coming, tell them the worst is over, welcome them...and guide them...meekly...with the power and conviction of God. Be equally available to get out of the way and let the Holy Spirit work, as you are to greet them with open arms.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
I hate alter calls. Absolutely there is a better way. Don't get me wrong...if it is or was perfect for someone - great. But I would venture to say, that for every person who responses to an alter call, an equal number are driven away by the awkwardness, never to return.

There should definitely be a time for a pastor to invite people to seal their relationship with God - but coming to church? They have already come forward! Asking again, is as much an opportunity to retract. No alter call! Thank them for coming, tell them the worst is over, welcome them...and guide them...meekly...with the power and conviction of God. Be equally available to get out of the way and let the Holy Spirit work, as you are to greet them with open arms.

The call to salvation is unregretable, and is not embarrassing at all,when people become born again there is no worry of what people will think.
It is a time for the grace of God to abound ,in this the sinner knows with overwhelming assurance the need to repent.
The sinner knows they will risk eternal separation from the love of God ,their spirit longs for.
It is a time of great faith for true salvation ,they realize the Christ first loved us enough to die in our place.

Salvation is more than a confession in public, salvation is knowing in your Spirit that you are now a child of God.

Upvote 0