pilgrim42

Oct 2, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
✟8,036.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Should altar calls be continued? They don't seem to be biblical.
Let me explain what an altar call is for those who may be unfamiliar. It is an invitation made by the pastor at the close of the sermon for seekers to come to the front of the church and either to kneel at the platform or a "mourners bench", or to stand in the front to be prayed for. Sometimes there are "altar workers" in the front that will pray with the seekers. The seeker is encouraged to repent of their sins and accept Jesus as their savior.

The altar call was intiated around 1800 by Charles Finney and was promoted by the camp meeting movements. The church got by without altar calls for 1800 years. Is there a better way of making invitations without taking up 15 minutes after each service to make an altar call?

Ken :bow:

ladyches

Sep 12, 2013
PA
✟7,737.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Should altar calls be continued? They don't seem to be biblical.
Let me explain what an altar call is for those who may be unfamiliar. It is an invitation made by the pastor at the close of the sermon for seekers to come to the front of the church and either to kneel at the platform or a "mourners bench", or to stand in the front to be prayed for. Sometimes there are "altar workers" in the front that will pray with the seekers. The seeker is encouraged to repent of their sins and accept Jesus as their savior.

The altar call was intiated around 1800 by Charles Finney and was promoted by the camp meeting movements. The church got by without altar calls for 1800 years. Is there a better way of making invitations without taking up 15 minutes after each service to make an altar call?

If you think about it, in Jesus' day, they didn't have "church" as we know it either, so while an altar call may not be mentioned in the Bible, I don't think it's unscriptural.

I love altar calls - it's not an easy thing for someone to walk up in front of a congregation and expose their need like that, so I rejoice when even one person responds.

Upvote 0

pilgrim42

Oct 2, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
✟8,036.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If you think about it, in Jesus' day, they didn't have "church" as we know it either, so while an altar call may not be mentioned in the Bible, I don't think it's unscriptural.

I love altar calls - it's not an easy thing for someone to walk up in front of a congregation and expose their need like that, so I rejoice when even one person responds.

I'm not sure that you are right about it being scriptural. It is not found in scripture, but that doesn't make it sinful either.

We may love to see people come forward, but what about the person who doesn't come forward but yet makes a decision the next day that they are going to turn to Christ? Going forward may only mean that a person was touched by the sermon and wants to do something "religious" so they can feels better.

Upvote 0

ladyches

Sep 12, 2013
PA
✟7,737.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'm not sure that you are right about it being scriptural. It is not found in scripture, but that doesn't make it sinful either.

We may love to see people come forward, but what about the person who doesn't come forward but yet makes a decision the next day that they are going to turn to Christ? Going forward may only mean that a person was touched by the sermon and wants to do something "religious" so they can feels better.

"Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven." Matt 10:32

By coming forward in front of others, he/she is thereby acknowledging his/her acceptance of Christ. Two birds, one stone.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi pilgrim,

Jesus, told his disciples to go into every nation and make disciples. Baptizing in the name of the Father, Son and Spirit. I don't find that beyond the command to go he gave us much instruction on the actual 'way' that we should do this.

However, what I know about God is that He honors each and every time one born again believer reaches out to a lost one and explains the way to eternal life. That might be during an altar call. That might be during a tent revival. That might be just one sharing with one in the quiet of a home. That might be opening up the Scriptures and explaining the way of eternal life while standing in a check out line. That might be while one is talking to a co-worker about life and what they believe. I believe that while we are here, God desires that we take every opportunity and make every sacrifice to tell others of the love that our Creator has shown us through the life and sacrifice of His Son. After all, it cost God the life of His one and only Son and I'm pretty sure He rejoices in whatever way we try to explain to others what that means.

If you don't like a teacher, who after giving a teaching from the Scriptures, then holds out to everyone who is in attendance that the way of eternal life is also there for them, then maybe you'd be better off with another fellowship. I've been to many and trust me, there are plenty that don't make the effort or take the time.

I absolutely agree with the one above who said that neither are our worship services much like what it meant to meet together in the writings of the new covenant, but from all I can tell, in synagogues and in public forums and even speaking before kings, Paul took every opportunity to tell those who were with him what God had done for us through the life and sacrifice of His Son.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0

SoulBap6

Sep 12, 2011
✟8,358.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Public profession of Faith, Altar call is in my opinion a act of faith, and repentance being convicted Crying out to God, for forgiveness, can this be done somewhere else yes, you have people there to Pray with and to give you the scriptures on Salvation. Many people have come to know Christ as there Savior at a Altar Call. There are times that as a Christian I go to the alter to pray with other Christians. I also work the altar to help lead souls to Christ. I believe that Altar call should be part of a Church service.

Reactions: Historicus
Upvote 0

iambren

Mar 2, 2008
newark, ohio
✟12,121.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The older I have got the less impressed I've become in the "altar call". I see so many who then go on to live a sinful life,or to behave as a non-elect which I'm sure many are.

It makes for good drama,a service with a climax of tearful ones running down the altar,one filled not by a sincere rebirth but a temporary emotionalism.

I don't know the source but it was said that Jonathan Edwards actually asked people NOT to run down to the altar,seeing a decision to follow Christ as a more sober decision. I would LOVE to see a pastor highly discourage those present from coming down instead of the hyped-up display we see now.

Upvote 0

pilgrim42

Oct 2, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
✟8,036.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The older I have got the less impressed I've become in the "altar call". I see so many who then go on to live a sinful life,or to behave as a non-elect which I'm sure many are.

It makes for good drama,a service with a climax of tearful ones running down the altar,one filled not by a sincere rebirth but a temporary emotionalism.

I don't know the source but it was said that Jonathan Edwards actually asked people NOT to run down to the altar,seeing a decision to follow Christ as a more sober decision. I would LOVE to see a pastor highly discourage those present from coming down instead of the hyped-up display we see now.

I hadn't thought about altar calls being good drama, but I suppose it does happen sometimes. Don't we tend to guage the success of the sermon by the altar call? I've heard some bad sermons in the past, but the altar call had a good response. I've also seen the reverse, where there was a good sermon but nothing happened at the altar call.

Altar calls can be a mixed bag. A lot of people have been helped by the prayers and guidance they received at the altar, or in the inquiry rooms, but I wonder if they could have been helped by other means.
I wonder if we could help people who are under deep conviction with a 5 minute altar call instead of dragging it out for 10 to 20 minutes?

Jonathon Edwards didn't use altar calls, but he may have asked the crowd to control themselves. It was Charles Finney that started the Altar calls around 1800. Before that the minister would ask the crowd to make a decision at their seats. I suspect that there were times when prayer was offered after the service was over.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi pilgrim,

Oh, I see, you're referring to the actual walk down the isle to come to the front of a worship service. Yes, I agree that they can often be more emotionally led than spiritually led. However, we don't know the heart of each one that comes forward. Trust though that God does and there won't be any fakers making it through His gate.

Personally, I'd rather keep the altar call and then spend more time on the 'teaching them to obey' on a slightly more individualistic and personal level after one does respond to an altar call. I think we do a disservice pounding on the pulpit and starting a frenzy of emotion in one's heart and then just sending them out the door and treating them the same as we do those who have a more stable faith.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

desmalia

sounds like somebody's got a case of the mondays
Sep 29, 2006
Canada
Visit site
✟18,512.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

Bingo! :thumbsup:

I definitely recommend checking out the videos JM posted. Finney has done nothing but harm to the church and the reputation of the church. His methods have created thousands of false converts who in time, walk away disgruntled, thinking they once believed, but were in fact completely fooled by the emotionalism and have yet to know the Lord. Yes, some people may occasionally come to Christ at an altar call (if the Gospel is actually preached somewhere in there, which it largely is not), but that is despite the altar call, not because of it. Preachers are charged to preach the Gospel and the command to repent and believe (as are we all). An emotion-laden plea, with the music playing and that sort of manipulation to come up and just "accept Christ into your heart" is fake and in itself coverts no one. It is only the preaching of the Gospel and the work of the Holy Spirit that truly brings people to salvation.

Reactions: MWood and JM
Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Public profession of Faith, Altar call is in my opinion a act of faith, and repentance being convicted Crying out to God, for forgiveness, can this be done somewhere else yes, you have people there to Pray with and to give you the scriptures on Salvation. Many people have come to know Christ as there Savior at a Altar Call. There are times that as a Christian I go to the alter to pray with other Christians. I also work the altar to help lead souls to Christ. I believe that Altar call should be part of a Church service.

Are they so dead they cannot know who draws them?

Believe in your heart and confess with your mouth is not drama it called salvation

I agree with you sometimes I cant believe what is being questioned.

It wasn't done for 1800 years because the Roman Church decided a man could forgive your sins and instead of repenting to God you could confess to a priest.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
I guess a Calvinist would think it to be drama or a waste of tears,after all there are no choices are they.

So the elect already are saved and the rest its a waste of time.

Well from that perspective why even go to Church or live any different from the world?

Upvote 0

joeboonda

Eternally Secure Believer
Jan 8, 2006
Tennessee, USA
✟7,827.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't know about an alter call, but I think its important when non-believers are present, to give an invitation to trust Christ after a clear presentation of the Gospel. People can pray to the Lord and accept him right where they are as the pastor leads them in prayer. If its genuine, God will know and people may see the fruits as time goes by. I would think that sooner or later they would make a public profession that they trusted Christ through baptism. They used to have the mourners bench where people were expected to grieve for a period of time as a part of getting saved, and while they should feel bad for their sins and gain a new attitude about sin, after all that's why they're there, they could begin to fear and wonder if they had spent enough time or had been mournful enough at the bench. Having said that, I do think its fine and good to open up the alter for people to come to pray or be prayed for or to trust Christ. I cringe when I hear of people coming forward to be saved over and over as if they don't understand Christ paid for ALL their sins. New believers need to be taught the assurance of salvation and the eternal security of every believer.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pilgrim42

Oct 2, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
✟8,036.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I found the videos to be very interesting, but I'm not sure that I am in full agreement with them. Making decisions for Christ are always in order. Pulling people to the front of the church for the sake of gaining numbers isn't really going to have lasting benefits. Without a doubt, there are many people who answer the altar call that do experience conversion. I'm not sure that we should stop promoting altar calls altogether, but we do need to do it in such a way that seekers know what their decision means. There needs to be repentance and turning from all sin. They need to know what Christ is going to do in their lives and what they need to do to grow in Christ.

Here is my primary concern. Do we want sinners to come forward in an altar call to profess acceptance of Christ and then let them figure out the rest? I think once a person makes a profession of faith that we need to immediately start indoctrinating them in living the faith. Sunday School isn't enough. It needs to be more targeted than that. New Christians need nuts and bolts teaching on how to be a Christian. This would, of course, involve a teaching on allowing the Holy Spirit to also teach them through knowing God's holy Word. Seekers need to make "Informed Decisions", not just be allowed to say "I accept Jesus into my life."

Upvote 0

JM

Coram Deo.
Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟738,796.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I guess a Calvinist would think it to be drama or a waste of tears,after all there are no choices are they.

So the elect already are saved and the rest its a waste of time.

Well from that perspective why even go to Church or live any different from the world?

Straw-Man%20animation.gif

...a mere caricature of what 'Calvinists' believe. I could do the same if you like?

I guess the Arminian (now faith) would agree that more drama and plenty of tears are needed to induce a psychological response to the altar call. The choice is only theirs, God really has nothing to do with it...God can only watch from the sidelines as it all plays out, powerless to do anything.

So God is really just wasting His time on most people because only those who are more spiritual, more dramatic and more emotional will choose to be saved.

From the Arminian perspective, why does the Holy Spirit even attend worship or try to convert anyone if He is powerless to regenerate a sinner?

Of course, Arminians do not believe what I just wrote.

Calvinists believe man will choose according to their nature which is evil, sinful and wicked. God regenerates a sinner AND the sinner sees the goodness of the Gospel and believes. Regeneration doesn't save, belief in Jesus Christ does, we just can't believe until God enables us to do so.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Upvote 0

Rev55

Jul 24, 2013
✟7,819.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Why does "walking the isle" have be associated with salvation? I have been saved for many years now and I respond to the altar call regularly. Well I should say I respond to God during the alar call, I pray at the altar because its a place you can look at and say "God delivered me from hardship there" or "I praised God for all he has done for me at that spot". Look at the Altar most altars in Old Testament were to praise God, so I believe it's important to have a spot you can identify as a Place of remembrance. Just this mans opinion I'd love to hear your thoughts

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Straw-Man%20animation.gif

...a mere caricature of what 'Calvinists' believe. I could do the same if you like?

I guess the Arminian (now faith) would agree that more drama and plenty of tears are needed to induce a psychological response to the altar call. The choice is only theirs, God really has nothing to do with it...God can only watch from the sidelines as it all plays out, powerless to do anything.

So God is really just wasting His time on most people because only those who are more spiritual, more dramatic and more emotional will choose to be saved.

From the Arminian perspective, why does the Holy Spirit even attend worship or try to convert anyone if He is powerless to regenerate a sinner?

Of course, Arminians do not believe what I just wrote.

Calvinists believe man will choose according to their nature which is evil, sinful and wicked. God regenerates a sinner AND the sinner sees the goodness of the Gospel and believes. Regeneration doesn't save, belief in Jesus Christ does, we just can't believe until God enables us to do so.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Kudos on the giant picture.

Are you stating that all men are sinners and need a savior,due to their sin nature?

Or are some people born with out this predisposition free from evil,the special people?

Or has God predestined people to salvation,thus there is no choice of who will be saved?

Was Christ death even necessary?

Oh and as to the giant straw man,when you post Calvinism as your reference or authority I would not consider a reply on the background of the writer a straw man.

Here is a Wikipedia on lane from his statement of faith from his website.
Three Forms of Unity is a collective name for the Belgic Confession, the Canons of Dort, and the Heidelberg Catechism, which reflect the doctrinal concerns of Continental Calvinism and are accepted as official statements of doctrine by many of the Reformed churches.

So you spew it and don't expect to get wet,but Im sure the handsome straw man gives your position credibility. :liturgy:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
I wonder what would have happened if Billy Graham,did not do alter calls.

Here is a Wikipedia on the crusades:

Since his ministry began in 1947, Graham conducted more than 400 crusades in 185 countries and territories on six continents. The first Billy Graham Crusade, held September 13–21, 1947, in the Civic Auditorium in Grand Rapids, Michigan, was attended by 6,000 people. Graham was 29 years old. He called them crusades, after the medieval Christian forces who conquered Jerusalem. He would rent a large venue, such as a stadium, park, or street. As the sessions became larger, he arranged a group of up to 5,000 people to sing in a choir. He would preach the gospel and invite people to come forward (a practice begun by Dwight L. Moody). Such people were called inquirers and were given the chance to speak one-on-one with a counselor, to clarify questions and pray together. The inquirers were often given a copy of the Gospel of John or a Bible study booklet. In Moscow, in 1992, one-quarter of the 155,000 people in Graham's audience went forward at his call.[8] During his crusades, he has frequently used the altar call song, "Just As I Am".[21]

Graham was offered a five-year, $5 million contract from NBC to appear on television opposite Arthur Godfrey, but he turned it down in favor of continuing his touring revivals because of his prearranged commitments.[12] Graham had missions in London, which lasted 12 weeks, and a New York City mission in Madison Square Garden in 1957, which ran nightly for 16 weeks.

Wow almost 40,000 in Moscow,but thats old fashioned or unnecessary.

Upvote 0