Los Angeles Area
✟820,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
University of Maryland student and member of an "Alt Reich" Facebook group stabs a black college student/recently commissioned army officer to death for not stepping out of his way on the sidewalk.

"Collins and his friends watched Urbanski as he approached them. According to court documents, Urbanski said, "Step left, step left if you know what's best for you," and Collins responded "No."

Urbanski continued to approach the teens, pulled out a knife with a 3- to 4-inch silver blade and stabbed Collins once in the chest, the documents said."

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have heard the news stories everyday over the weekend since it is local news.

I had not heard the part of him being a commissioned Army officer. I would think that takes the charges from being state charges of murder to being placed in US court jurisdiction or even military court. Maryland does have the death penalty but it has not been used in decades. Military courts, OTOH, .....

Upvote 0

Belk

Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟895,241.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married

I had not heard the part of him being a commissioned Army officer. I would think that takes the charges from being state charges of murder to being placed in US court jurisdiction or even military court. Maryland does have the death penalty but it has not been used in decades. Military courts, OTOH, .....

As far as I am aware military court is only for trials of those in the military.

Upvote 0

Belk

Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟895,241.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
The victim WAS in the military.

Yes, that was my point. If the perpetrator was in the military he might be tried in military court. We do not, however, try civilians in military court simply because they killed military personnel. They are still tried in civilian courts.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Maybe the one stabbed wasn't considered human?

That would be what their comment was complaining about.

What a surprise, how could anyone have seen this coming..

This is honestly not the worst thing Facebook has let slip through. They've had murders livestreamed, IIRC.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟820,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
BTW - how does "alt reich" differ from mainstream "reich?"

I assumed it was a play on words with "alt right" and "reich" but yes, this was just the particular name of a FB group.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟870,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

That's not how it works. While there are some federal crimes that receive a murder charge, the vast majority of murder cases are under state law and are prosecuted by local district attorneys. That even goes when the victim and/or accused are in the military except in certain cases.

Upvote 0