Already surrendering??

Morat

Untitled One
Jun 6, 2002
Visit site
✟12,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Unsurprising. A large part of the Iraqi army is conscripts, and you can bet your bippy that the "honor" of guarding the borders, or any city other than Baghdad, fell to the least reliable and worst armed troops.

The most loyal, best trained, and best equipped soldiers are in Baghdad. The only worry we really have prior to that is the threat of chemical attacks when taking a "friendly" city, like Basra.

If we're going to get the flower-throwing, cheering-in-the-streets stuff, it'll be in heavy Shi'ite cities like Basra.

Upvote 0

O'Mara

<marquee behavior=scroll direction=left scrollamou
Apr 6, 2002
All over.
✟374.00
Iraqi Troops Reported Deserting

As many as 30,000 terrified Iraqi soldiers have already deserted, according to a report in Britain's Sun newspaper. Writing from the U.S. Command Center in Qatar, Sun correspondents George Pascoe-Watson and Simon Hughes reported that intelligence sources estimate that as many as 15 percent of Saddam's army have deserted before a single shot has been fired. A senior British war planner at US Central Command in Qatar told the Sun last night: "Iraqi soldiers are scared out of their wits at what they know is over their borders.They are not stupid. They know if they hang around there’s a good chance of things getting very nasty indeed." The mass desertions fueled the Sun reports by leaflet drops warning Saddam’s men to quit or face death, was uncovered by eavesdropping on military communications. The paper speculated that Saddam may not even be able to rely on his elite Republican Guard. Military planners believe the troops may turn on their generals rather than face the 250,000-strong Allied force.

As for whether the US is prepared for the mass surrenderers... yes, this time we were counting on it.

Upvote 0

Auntie

THANK YOU JESUS!!
Apr 16, 2002
Visit site
✟27,878.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Today at 01:42 PM O'Mara said this in Post #6

As many as 30,000 terrified Iraqi soldiers have already deserted, according to a report in Britain's Sun newspaper.

As for whether the US is prepared for the mass surrenderers... yes, this time we were counting on it.

Yes, but prepared for 30,000??? :eek: Even before a shot is fired? I can imagine there will be thousands MORE in the next few days. That's a lot of mouths to feed, and a lot of tents to put up!:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

O'Mara

Apr 6, 2002
All over.
✟374.00
Today at 07:46 PM datan said this in Post #9

well...at least we keep the bloodshedding to a minimum.

Agreed, and these guys know that when Sadam is out of power, they will be repatrioted, so the only worry they have right now is if they'll be able to get newspapers in Arabic while living in Allied force POW camps.

Upvote 0

datan

Nov 16, 2002
Visit site
✟6,836.00
Faith
Protestant
Today at 07:49 PM Auntie said this in Post #10

Yes, but prepared for 30,000??? :eek: Even before a shot is fired? I can imagine there will be thousands MORE in the next few days. That's a lot of mouths to feed, and a lot of tents to put up!:)

just be glad that you're not burying dead bodies.

Upvote 0

O'Mara

Apr 6, 2002
All over.
✟374.00
Today at 07:49 PM Auntie said this in Post #10

There have been situations where 50 people had to take care of a refugee camp of 3,800 (i.e. the Volcano alley eruptions throughout the 90's in Ecuador). We have 250,000 or so men and women there now.

The war won't last very long, then we will have to take care of an entire country. I'd be more worried about that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

datan

Nov 16, 2002
Visit site
✟6,836.00
Faith
Protestant
Today at 07:58 PM Didymus said this in Post #14

everyone can think i am cruel but dead bodies don t need guards. Will this weaken our already small forces by using troops to guard prisoners. I am NOT saying kill them. why so few troops anyway ? only half of ds

I guess I don't believe that an American life is worth more or less than an Iraqi's life.

Upvote 0

Auntie

THANK YOU JESUS!!
Apr 16, 2002
Visit site
✟27,878.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Today at 02:00 PM O'Mara said this in Post #15

The war won't last very long, then we will have to take care of an entire country. I'd be more worried about that.

Very good point. It seems overwhelming to me, but I trust our military has a plan.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Today at 02:05 PM gwyyn said this in Post #1

Just heard news report on Foxnews that some Iraqi troops in Northern Iraq are already trieng to surrender.&nbsp; what's ya'll thoughts on this.&nbsp;

They most likely are a police force. Their job is to keep the citizens of Iraq in line. They are not equiped to fight a foreign enemy. They know americans will treat them right.

A part of me says to turn them over to the people they have been terrorizing. But I am not sure that would be right, we do believe in law and order and due process of law.

Upvote 0