Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have a half-formed idea, and I wonder if other can expand on it a little.

I was talking to someone yesterday and the conversation turned to helping others. She is on a very limited income and lives in a place where many people need help, and people dump off animals that need to be taken care of, and so on.

We talked about how Father said that if we give someone a dollar or two and they use it to buy alcohol instead of a sandwich, that is their sin and at least we gave something. And I know that - but I've also been almost accosted by men asking for money for food and watched them go into the liquor store instead. We may be tempted to sin in our thoughts by their possible bad motives. And some of us aren't saintly enough to be able to get over those thoughts. ;)

So anyway - she was talking about ways to help people without feeling like she was taking food from her own children's mouths, but still able to help others, and I feel as though she had LOTS of good ideas. They might not all be practical for everyone, but it got me to thinking that people must have good ideas out there, so I was hoping some might like to discuss it?

She said sometimes she buys beef jerky on sale in large packages and puts a few strips in ziplocs and carries them in her car, and gives them to "homeless" people who ask for food. It's very nutrient dense and will "keep" in the car.

She watches for sales on crackers (like the cheese or peanut butter crackers) that are sometimes buy-1-get-1 (or even get-2), and she uses the one, but puts the free ones back to give away in the same way.

She mentioned coupons, and when I asked if she gets them from the paper (I stopped taking the paper many years ago) she says if she can save at least $5 on groceries with the coupons, she will spend the $2 on the paper. And anything over $5 she saves, she puts back to use for alms.

Other people I have spoken with put up packages of things like hotel toiletries or free samples and give them away. Some buy toothbrushes in large packages at a good discount.

I'm sure there must be many other good ideas out there?

Oh, and the way that we got on the topic - I saw a half-grown kitten in a parking lot behind McDonald's. Someone had dropped a bun, I think, and it looked like it had been run over multiple times and was ground into the concrete. I watched this pitiful, skinny little cat scrape at the bread on the concrete, trying to eat it. It was terrified of my headlights and kept staring at me, but kept going back to the bread. After debating what I might buy at McDonald's it would eat, I went instead to a nearby drugstore and bought a couple of cans of cat food, found it again (it had run behind a building) and while it watched from the bushes (it kept running away) I opened a can and set it on the ground and left. It was such a pitiful sight. Later the can was cleaned out, so I hoped the kitten ate it and not some wandering possum.

I used to keep supplies like that in my car, but I don't any more. But she said she will buy a bag of dry food and keep it in baggies in her car, and pour it on the ground near a starving animal.

I realize our primary concern is people, but I think kindness in any form is valuable.

Anyway - any ideas? Can we develop this further in other ways to share ideas and be of benefit to us?

Reactions: Hank77

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I have a half-formed idea, and I wonder if other can expand on it a little.

I was talking to someone yesterday and the conversation turned to helping others. She is on a very limited income and lives in a place where many people need help, and people dump off animals that need to be taken care of, and so on.

We talked about how Father said that if we give someone a dollar or two and they use it to buy alcohol instead of a sandwich, that is their sin and at least we gave something. And I know that - but I've also been almost accosted by men asking for money for food and watched them go into the liquor store instead. We may be tempted to sin in our thoughts by their possible bad motives. And some of us aren't saintly enough to be able to get over those thoughts. ;)

So anyway - she was talking about ways to help people without feeling like she was taking food from her own children's mouths, but still able to help others, and I feel as though she had LOTS of good ideas. They might not all be practical for everyone, but it got me to thinking that people must have good ideas out there, so I was hoping some might like to discuss it?

She said sometimes she buys beef jerky on sale in large packages and puts a few strips in ziplocs and carries them in her car, and gives them to "homeless" people who ask for food. It's very nutrient dense and will "keep" in the car.

She watches for sales on crackers (like the cheese or peanut butter crackers) that are sometimes buy-1-get-1 (or even get-2), and she uses the one, but puts the free ones back to give away in the same way.

She mentioned coupons, and when I asked if she gets them from the paper (I stopped taking the paper many years ago) she says if she can save at least $5 on groceries with the coupons, she will spend the $2 on the paper. And anything over $5 she saves, she puts back to use for alms.

Other people I have spoken with put up packages of things like hotel toiletries or free samples and give them away. Some buy toothbrushes in large packages at a good discount.

I'm sure there must be many other good ideas out there?

Oh, and the way that we got on the topic - I saw a half-grown kitten in a parking lot behind McDonald's. Someone had dropped a bun, I think, and it looked like it had been run over multiple times and was ground into the concrete. I watched this pitiful, skinny little cat scrape at the bread on the concrete, trying to eat it. It was terrified of my headlights and kept staring at me, but kept going back to the bread. After debating what I might buy at McDonald's it would eat, I went instead to a nearby drugstore and bought a couple of cans of cat food, found it again (it had run behind a building) and while it watched from the bushes (it kept running away) I opened a can and set it on the ground and left. It was such a pitiful sight. Later the can was cleaned out, so I hoped the kitten ate it and not some wandering possum.

I used to keep supplies like that in my car, but I don't any more. But she said she will buy a bag of dry food and keep it in baggies in her car, and pour it on the ground near a starving animal.

I realize our primary concern is people, but I think kindness in any form is valuable.

Anyway - any ideas? Can we develop this further in other ways to share ideas and be of benefit to us?
I guess one thing that always comes to my mind is that if you have a good thought, you should act upon it and let the Lord solve out the rest of the details. Love and Mercy are always beneficial and I've often seen it where the Lord repays for any kind of sacrifice you make if it's unto Him - the Kingdom of God of seeing the Lord supply bread in order to feed those who need it and the love of Jesus Christ. Of course, you can serve creatively and find things practically. One thing my mom suggested doing once before was buying packs of toothpaste, toothbrushes, soap and then going out to find those who are homeless and giving them something practically so that they are able to continue. Other times, as another pastor said, you have to be able to learn how to hear what the Holy Spirit desires - you may see someone with a financial need and bless them but only do so halfway because they need to develop their own faith in order to trust the Lord to supply the other half and meet them by faith. Other times, if they need a ride, offering transportation and perhaps giving a Word of Knowledge to encourage them (As conversation can be a LIFE-SAVER!!!!) can make all of the difference just as it was with the Woman at the Well (John 4).

I did a lot of street ministry growing up and it's always amazing to see how the Lord shows up :)

A good podcast on the issue which may be of benefit:

Upvote 0

ZaidaBoBaida

When do I stop being a Newbie?
Jul 17, 2012
Right Here
✟50,881.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Why not give a few bucks to the local homeless outreaches? Trust me, no donation is too small.

My husband and I were out somewhere one day and a woman came up to him and asked him for money for gas. He gave her some money. When asked, he said he'd rather be taken advantage of 99 times then miss the one person in legitimate need. I think too many Christians would rather turn away 99 in legitimate need because they might get taken advantage of once.

Reactions: gzt
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Why not give a few bucks to the local homeless outreaches? Trust me, no donation is too small.

My husband and I were out somewhere one day and a woman came up to him and asked him for money for gas. He gave her some money. When asked, he said he'd rather be taken advantage of 99 times then miss the one person in legitimate need. I think too many Christians would rather turn away 99 in legitimate need because they might get taken advantage of once.

Right. I'm not trying to say one should not give money directly. But there are some who have been taken advantage of, and it's better for their sense of giving if they aren't tempted to think of that when they give.

And there are some like my friend who legitimately struggle to feed their own families, and where is the virtue in giving money they can't afford - possibly feeding the drug habit of another while taking food from their own children's mouths?

And there may be other situations I'm unaware of, in which people could benefit from these ideas.

Your husband is right, and that's a mature way to look at it. But some are not that mature in this area, and I'm looking for ways like my friend suggested to help them become givers of alms as well (and for those who can't afford it, etc.).

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I guess one thing that always comes to my mind is that if you have a good thought, you should act upon it and let the Lord solve out the rest of the details. Love and Mercy are always beneficial and I've often seen it where the Lord repays for any kind of sacrifice you make if it's unto Him - the Kingdom of God of seeing the Lord supply bread in order to feed those who need it and the love of Jesus Christ. Of course, you can serve creatively and find things practically. One thing my mom suggested doing once before was buying packs of toothpaste, toothbrushes, soap and then going out to find those who are homeless and giving them something practically so that they are able to continue. Other times, as another pastor said, you have to be able to learn how to hear what the Holy Spirit desires - you may see someone with a financial need and bless them but only do so halfway because they need to develop their own faith in order to trust the Lord to supply the other half and meet them by faith. Other times, if they need a ride, offering transportation and perhaps giving a Word of Knowledge to encourage them (As conversation can be a LIFE-SAVER!!!!) can make all of the difference just as it was with the Woman at the Well (John 4).

I did a lot of street ministry growing up and it's always amazing to see how the Lord shows up :)

A good podcast on the issue which may be of benefit:

Thank you, GxG, some good points. I especially like the idea that when a good thought occurs, we should act on it. :)

Upvote 0

ZaidaBoBaida

Jul 17, 2012
Right Here
✟50,881.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Right. I'm not trying to say one should not give money directly. But there are some who have been taken advantage of, and it's better for their sense of giving if they aren't tempted to think of that when they give.

And there are some like my friend who legitimately struggle to feed their own families, and where is the virtue in giving money they can't afford - possibly feeding the drug habit of another while taking food from their own children's mouths?

And there may be other situations I'm unaware of, in which people could benefit from these ideas.

Your husband is right, and that's a mature way to look at it. But some are not that mature in this area, and I'm looking for ways like my friend suggested to help them become givers of alms as well (and for those who can't afford it, etc.).

That's why I suggested giving a few bucks to the local homeless outreach, or dropping a box of diapers off at the local women's shelter. No donation is too small. Over the course of several pay periods put together a box of things someone would need when setting up house for the first time - cleaning products, toilet paper, dish towels, pot holders etc - and drop it off at the local shelter for someone who is getting out into permanent housing. There's loads of things that you can do.

Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟116,970.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I would note that buying "stuff" and donating it is often only good if you can get a discounted rate, otherwise it's better (more efficient) to just give what little money you have. Much the same with people - most efficient is to give cash unless you can for some reason get something they need for them cheaper than they can.

Upvote 0

ZaidaBoBaida

Jul 17, 2012
Right Here
✟50,881.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Giving goods instead of cash guarantees that they won't immediately go out and spend it on drugs or alcohol, and you'd be amazed - some people really don't know what all is needed to set up housekeeping.

Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My real interest here is probably best stated as finding creative ways to help and/or finding ways to afford to help when one is on a very limited budget.

Someone else in our Church, the person who is actually in charge of these kinds of outreach ministries, is amazing at finding bargains, and will often buy things just because she's getting it at 90% off or so, then put it aside until someone who needs it comes along.

I wish I could do all she does. Sometimes I get things super-cheap, but she's much better at it.

Though a local thrift store did a 4-day sale after Black Friday that I wish I'd discovered sooner rather than the last hour. They had nearly all clothing 12 pieces for $10. It would have been nice to get about 2-3 lots of that in coats, sweaters, etc. and be able to give them out to keep folks warm.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums