Continental U.S.
✟971,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There was a sermon recently preached in the evangelical church that I attend, and it alarmed me. The preacher is well-respected, and I imagine that most of what he preached would be accepted in the average evangelical fellowship. The message was very exhortative and fervent, but when the following was spoken, I reacted with an instinctive, “No Way!”.

The preacher’s basic theme was that there are three entities which compete against each other and call for our allegiance:

God Almighty versus the spirit of this age (so far, so good). Then, the speaker added “versus the Church” (………Oh, oh!). He explained in that “in church” people can get it wrong, and so, we can only rely on God to ultimately lead us. The sticking point for me is that “God Almighty versus Church” is very uncalled for, and it diminishes the importance of God working through his Church by the manifestation of Spirit and Truth within the Kingdom.

It is almost as if I can hear the echoes of Paul's "The Law is good but..." when I hear the Church described like this. The problem I find with that is that the Church is not the "schoolmaster" to reveal sin to us, the Law has that function. The Church, through the Spirit of Christ, is part of God's answer to the deadening that knowledge of the Law causes in us. The Church lives within the grace of God. Indeed, we cannot distinguish between costly and cheap grace if we are not willing to see and experience true grace within the "assembly of the called out ones".

There are several reasons why, I believe, the preacher spoke like he did, primary of which is a hyper individualization of the “Faith once delivered to the saints”. The “you” of the New Covenant can be too quickly distilled down to the idea of individual application, essentially bypassing the immediate purpose of addressing corporate belief, witness, expression of faith, and corporate fruit of the Spirit (who ever heard of a fruit basket with just one apple in it?). It is essential that faith reside in each heart. But then, must each heart go on a lone wolf attempt to experience sanctification and revelation from Messiah Jesus?

Knowing how evangelicals think, I am certain this preacher would deny that such a severe de-linking exists between life together, with Christ, as the Body and the pursuit of God by the individual “deer” who pants after God like David did. Yet, his own words painted a picture of separateness that was left as is, as if such a condition were part of normal Christian life.

I hope to establish some type of relationship with this preacher, so that I can kindly and effectively point out my experience of hearing his words. If that happens, he will hopefully state that he didn’t intend for God Almighty and the Church to be put in incompatible camps.

Reactions: Mark Quayle

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There was a sermon recently preached in the evangelical church that I attend, and it alarmed me. The preacher is well-respected, and I imagine that most of what he preached would be accepted in the average evangelical fellowship. The message was very exhortative and fervent, but when the following was spoken, I reacted with an instinctive, “No Way!”.

The preacher’s basic theme was that there are three entities which compete against each other and call for our allegiance:

God Almighty versus the spirit of this age (so far, so good). Then, the speaker added “versus the Church” (………Oh, oh!). He explained in that “in church” people can get it wrong, and so, we can only rely on God to ultimately lead us. The sticking point for me is that “God Almighty versus Church” is very uncalled for, and it diminishes the importance of God working through his Church by the manifestation of Spirit and Truth within the Kingdom.

It is almost as if I can hear the echoes of Paul's "The Law is good but..." when I hear the Church described like this. The problem I find with that is that the Church is not the "schoolmaster" to reveal sin to us, the Law has that function. The Church, through the Spirit of Christ, is part of God's answer to the deadening that knowledge of the Law causes in us. The Church lives within the grace of God. Indeed, we cannot distinguish between costly and cheap grace if we are not willing to see and experience true grace within the "assembly of the called out ones".

There are several reasons why, I believe, the preacher spoke like he did, primary of which is a hyper individualization of the “Faith once delivered to the saints”. The “you” of the New Covenant can be too quickly distilled down to the idea of individual application, essentially bypassing the immediate purpose of addressing corporate belief, witness, expression of faith, and corporate fruit of the Spirit (who ever heard of a fruit basket with just one apple in it?). It is essential that faith reside in each heart. But then, must each heart go on a lone wolf attempt to experience sanctification and revelation from Messiah Jesus?

Knowing how evangelicals think, I am certain this preacher would deny that such a severe de-linking exists between life together, with Christ, as the Body and the pursuit of God by the individual “deer” who pants after God like David did. Yet, his own words painted a picture of separateness that was left as is, as if such a condition were part of normal Christian life.

I hope to establish some type of relationship with this preacher, so that I can kindly and effectively point out my experience of hearing his words. If that happens, he will hopefully state that he didn’t intend for God Almighty and the Church to be put in incompatible camps.
The "Church" is the Body of Christ. Congregations made by man are not. God knows the heart of each and every one of us . He knows who are in Him through His Holy Spirit. Not all who are Christian are Christian thus not all attending or teaching in a man made church know the true God. That being said, I do not think your Pastor explained this very important distinction. Truth be told, there is much error in men leading men. However, when led by His Holy Spirit, there is no error.
I belive the take away by your Pastor is to use discernment. Believe not every spirit. Satan comes as an angel of light and as a roaring lion to see who he may devour.
Be blessed.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I hope to establish some type of relationship with this preacher, so that I can kindly and effectively point out my experience of hearing his words. I

You were in his church. That is all the relationship needed, so contact him and ask your questions.
If he will not respond or gives you some rubbish about ' only believe, have faith etc ,' thank him , tell him you will not be attending his church again and that you will be letting people know it is unreasonable response to request for clarification that is causing you not to attend that church.

You can challenge any preacher about any message you have heard whether in person, on line or through a recorded medium.
It is the preachers responsibility to defend and explain what and why he said what he did.

• Informative
Reactions: Quasiblogo
Upvote 0