Allegedly, Patriarch Bartholomew says there is no doctrinal difference between Orthodox and Catholic

RobNJ

So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish!
Aug 22, 2004
✟166,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
All I'll say for now, I had to follow this back to it's facebook page, to get ANY idea, who this "Union Of Orthodox Journalists" actually is... I found this:
"About
Orthodox news of Ukraine and the world, life of the UOC and interfaith relations. Read us on the website: UOJ - news of Orthodoxy - the Union of Orthodox Journalists . "

Now, something about the total lack of a "pedigree", or a "Who we are" ,on the main site makes me a bit wary. That the UOC I found googling led me to a Ukrainian Church, under the MP. I'd want to find out more about this, before I'd trust it as a source of info

• Agree
Reactions: Phronema
Upvote 0

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The quote below from the article seems a bit suspect to me as well.

"According to the eyewitnesses, numerous patriarchal guards did not allow anyone from the brethren to
record the speech of Patriarch Bartholomew."

Plus, I have a hard time believing that the Ecumenical Patriarch, or the Abbots from those monasteries listed in the article on Mt. Athos would so easily throw aside the words of St. Mark of Ephesus seeing as he's one of the pillars of Orthodoxy.

Upvote 0

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
There is exactly no reason to believe this occurred.

This seems to me to be written by someone hoping to create a deeper rift between the Ecumenical Patriarchate, and the Moscow Patriarchate, and/or the laity associated with either of them.

The "Union of Orthodox Journalists" as Rob noted above are not your run of the mill journalists, and as such this seems like a waste of time. This has been created as part of a propaganda machine, imo.

• Agree
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
This seems to me to be written by someone hoping to create a deeper rift between the Ecumenical Patriarchate, and the Moscow Patriarchate, and/or the laity associated with either of them.

The "Union of Orthodox Journalists" as Rob noted above are not your run of the mill journalists, and as such this seems like a waste of time. This has been created as part of a propaganda machine, imo.
We certainly don't have enough problems. Need to fabricate more.

HAH Patriarch Bartholomew isn't going to push for Union with Rome. This is ridiculous.

• Agree
Reactions: Phronema
Upvote 0

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
We certainly don't have enough problems. Need to fabricate more.

HAH Patriarch Bartholomew isn't going to push for Union with Rome. This is ridiculous.

Agreed, and FWIW here's a more neutral source reporting on the same story, and it comes across as sounding a bit more normal. Although I'm not sure what prompted the visit.

Also, of note the Abbots of the Athonite monasteries weren't mentioned at all in the more neutral source.

Ecumenical Patriarch visited Notre-Dame de Saint-Rémy Abbey in Rochefort

Upvote 0

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Can anyone even actually confirm that the 3 abbots listed are even present at this Vespers service? Supposedly Abbots Gabriel, Ephraim, and Alexios are supposed to all be present, and I don't see them there in the pictures listed on the neutral site?

Does anyone else see them there?

Upvote 0

RobNJ

So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish!
Aug 22, 2004
✟166,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
False. Essence and energy (Eastern Orthodox) vs. absolute divine simplicity (Catholics)... absolute divine simplicity leads to all of the dogmatic delusions see see today in the Catholic Church.

Seems like this was a response destined for another thread, but I have a feeling St. Gregory Palamas would agree with you.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,270.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
There IS something that leans toward truth in the allegations (which seem probably false to me), even if it’s not this report. The sad fact is that it is PLAUSIBLE, even though unlikely, and the actions of HH regarding the Ukraine have made such allegations possible.

Let’s assume they’re not true. But pretending there’s no reason anyone could believe them, even as a lie, is disingenuous.

Upvote 0

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
There IS something that leans toward truth in the allegations (which seem probably false to me), even if it’s not this report. The sad fact is that it is PLAUSIBLE, even though unlikely, and the actions of HH regarding the Ukraine have made such allegations possible.

Let’s assume they’re not true. But pretending there’s no reason anyone could believe them, even as a lie, is disingenuous.

While I agree with you, I'd also say that from what I've read both of the main Patriarchs involved seem to be politically motivated in their actions on this issue. The Ecumenical Patriarch being pushed by the US Dept of State / Erdogan, and the Moscow Patriarchate being pushed by Putin. Either way it'd sure be nice if one of them would show an ounce of humility, and let the whole thing go, or concede to the other. It comes across as both being more concerned with worldly affairs/pride rather than their flocks, and as such not seeming like their minds are in the right place for a Patriarch.

Anyhow, I'm a new convert so I should probably just keep it to myself, but I have to say it's awfully off putting, and seemingly contradictory behavior to what we read in the Scriptures, and the Saints.

That said I couldn't do a better job, so my prayers for both the Patriarchs, and the Ukrainians having to deal with all of this.

• Agree
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

GoingByzantine

Seeking the Narrow Road
Site Supporter
Jun 19, 2013
✟92,845.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Lies take on a life of their own when they fit within a supportive narrative. If someone said that Patriarch Bartholomew sprouted wings and flew away, I would obviously dismiss it as a lie - but even though this story reeks of something suspicious, I can't outright dismiss it in light of recent events.

• Agree
Reactions: buzuxi02
Upvote 0