GeorgeTwo

May 31, 2008
✟39,702.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Copied from an Islamic site:

It creates our "spirits." Allah Almighty uses it to blow into our mothers' wombs our human-spirits. That is why abortion is prohibited in Islam, because the fetus or foetus does have spirit (life) and it is a human being. It's not just a little piece of unliving flesh:

"But He fashioned him in due proportion, and breathed into him something of His Spirit. And He gave you (the faculties of) hearing and sight and feeling (and understanding): little thanks do ye give! (The Noble Quran, 32:9)"

"When I have fashioned him (in due proportion) and breathed into him of My Spirit, fall ye down in obeisance unto him. (The Noble Quran, 38:72)"

"When I have fashioned him (in due proportion) and breathed into him of My Spirit, fall ye down in obeisance unto him. (The Noble Quran, 15:29)"

"And (remember) her who guarded her chastity: We breathed into her of Our Spirit, and We made her and her son a sign for all peoples. (The Noble Quran, 21:91)"

"And Mary the daughter of 'Imran, who guarded her chastity; and We breathed into (her body) of Our Spirit; and she testified to the truth of the words of her Lord and of His Revelations, and was one of the devout (servants). (The Noble Quran, 66:12)"

The 99 names:

99 Names of Allah (Al Asma Ul Husna) - with Meaning and Explanation

Clip:

The Beneficent
The All-Prevailing One, etc.

tawheed: The oneness of Allah.

Question: Since Allah is one can all 99 names be said of Allah's spirit too?

Thank you.

Arthra

Baha'i
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
✟71,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
We have a well known figure in the early history of the Baha'i Faith named "Quddus". He was the eighteenth Letter of the Living.
See:

Quddus

Per the wikipedia:

The Holy Spirit (Arabic: روح القدس‎‎, Rūḥ al-Qudus) in the Islamic faith is mentioned several times in the Qur'an, and is often interpreted by Muslims as a created messenger named Jibrayil, however there are other interpretations.

The Arabic phrase "al-Qudus" (القدس) translates to English as "the Holy One" or "the Exalted One". Jerusalem, considered a holy site in Islam, is referred to in Arabic as "Bayt al-Muqaddas" (بيت المقدس), a term which has the same phonetic root as the Arabic phrase "al-Quds". "Al-Quddūs" is one of the 99 Names of God in Islam.[1]

Also from the article:
The Qur'an emphatically states that neither God nor the Holy Spirit are part of a trinity, condemning the view held in most denominations of Christianity that God consists of a Holy Trinity composed of a Father, a Son, and the Holy Spirit:

"They do blaspheme who say: God is one of three in a Trinity: for there is no god except One God. If they desist not from their word (of blasphemy), verily a grievous penalty will befall the blasphemers among them.

— Qur'an, sura 5 (Al-Ma'ida), ayat 73 [12]

Holy Spirit in Islam - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Isn't it interesting how the name the Scriptures use for the only true God is not among those 99 names?

Exodus 3:15 And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, YHWH God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me unto you: this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all generations.

Isaiah 42:8 I am YHWH: that is my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images.

Psalm 83:18 That men may know that thou, whose name alone is YHWH, art the most high over all the earth.​

Upvote 0

GeorgeTwo

May 31, 2008
✟39,702.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
We have a well known figure in the early history of the Baha'i Faith named "Quddus". He was the eighteenth Letter of the Living.
See:

Quddus

Per the wikipedia:

The Holy Spirit (Arabic: روح القدس‎‎, Rūḥ al-Qudus) in the Islamic faith is mentioned several times in the Qur'an, and is often interpreted by Muslims as a created messenger named Jibrayil, however there are other interpretations.

The Arabic phrase "al-Qudus" (القدس) translates to English as "the Holy One" or "the Exalted One". Jerusalem, considered a holy site in Islam, is referred to in Arabic as "Bayt al-Muqaddas" (بيت المقدس), a term which has the same phonetic root as the Arabic phrase "al-Quds". "Al-Quddūs" is one of the 99 Names of God in Islam.[1]

Also from the article:
The Qur'an emphatically states that neither God nor the Holy Spirit are part of a trinity, condemning the view held in most denominations of Christianity that God consists of a Holy Trinity composed of a Father, a Son, and the Holy Spirit:

"They do blaspheme who say: God is one of three in a Trinity: for there is no god except One God. If they desist not from their word (of blasphemy), verily a grievous penalty will befall the blasphemers among them.

— Qur'an, sura 5 (Al-Ma'ida), ayat 73 [12]

Holy Spirit in Islam - Wikipedia

You didn't answer my question.

Since Allah is one person, it seems to me that any of the names of Allah should be a name for Allah's spirit as well.

One of Allah's names is The Creator and the verses I cited shows Allah uses his spirit to create, so Allah's spirit should also have the name of Creator.

Upvote 0

GeorgeTwo

May 31, 2008
✟39,702.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Isn't it interesting how the name the Scriptures use for the only true God is not among those 99 names?

Exodus 3:15 And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, YHWH God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me unto you: this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all generations.

Isaiah 42:8 I am YHWH: that is my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images.

Psalm 83:18 That men may know that thou, whose name alone is YHWH, art the most high over all the earth.​

The most beautiful name of the one true God is Father.

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Question: Since Allah is one can all 99 names be said of Allah's spirit too?
No. Muslims consider Allah's spirit as one of his creations.

The following quotes are from What is the role of the Holy Spirit in Islam? Why can't we call it GOD?

"The Holy Spirit is a Creation of GOD Almighty and it is under Him just like the Angels according to the Noble Quran".

"The reason why Muslims don't call the Holy Spirit as GOD Almighty is because it is just a creation of GOD Almighty with specific and limited duties as I clearly demonstrated above from the Noble Quran."

Upvote 0

GeorgeTwo

May 31, 2008
✟39,702.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
No. Muslims consider Allah's spirit as one of his creations.

The following quotes are from What is the role of the Holy Spirit in Islam? Why can't we call it GOD?

"The Holy Spirit is a Creation of GOD Almighty and it is under Him just like the Angels according to the Noble Quran".

"The reason why Muslims don't call the Holy Spirit as GOD Almighty is because it is just a creation of GOD Almighty with specific and limited duties as I clearly demonstrated above from the Noble Quran."

Allah's spirit cannot be one of his creations, because Allah is not created.

Some Muslims claim that Allah's spirit is Gabriel.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GeorgeTwo

May 31, 2008
✟39,702.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
I agree. Therefore, why would you as a Methodist argue against Allah's spirit being created when that is what Muslim's believe and teach?

I am trying to understand what Allah's spirit does.

How Allah uses his spirit.

I am wondering if Allah's spirit acts like a messenger.

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am trying to understand what Allah's spirit does.

How Allah uses his spirit.

I am wondering if Allah's spirit acts like a messenger.
Based on the following two quotes, I would say Muslim's believe that Allah's spirit acts as a messenger.

"Raised high above ranks (or degrees), (He is) the Lord of the Throne (of Authority): by His Command doth He send the Spirit (of inspiration) to any of His servants he pleases, that it may warn (men) of the Day of Mutual Meeting,- (The Noble Quran, 40:15)"

"Say, the Holy Spirit has brought the Revelation from thy Lord in Truth, in order to strengthen those who believe, and as a Guide and Glad Tidings to Muslims. (The Noble Quran, 16:102)"

Upvote 0

GeorgeTwo

May 31, 2008
✟39,702.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Based on the following two quotes, I would say Muslim's believe that Allah's spirit acts as a messenger.

"Raised high above ranks (or degrees), (He is) the Lord of the Throne (of Authority): by His Command doth He send the Spirit (of inspiration) to any of His servants he pleases, that it may warn (men) of the Day of Mutual Meeting,- (The Noble Quran, 40:15)"

"Say, the Holy Spirit has brought the Revelation from thy Lord in Truth, in order to strengthen those who believe, and as a Guide and Glad Tidings to Muslims. (The Noble Quran, 16:102)"

Great, thanks for your help. :)

Upvote 0

Arthra

Baha'i
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
✟71,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
You didn't answer my question.

Since Allah is one person, it seems to me that any of the names of Allah should be a name for Allah's spirit as well. One of Allah's names is The Creator and the verses I cited shows Allah uses his spirit to create, so Allah's spirit should also have the name of Creator.

George,

Thanks for your post! In humble answer to your question or view allow me to suggest something... You have a breath... correct? I means it's essentially your breath isn't it? Would you separate it from your body and give it an identity and "personhood"?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums