All this talk of movies...

BarbB

I stand with my brothers and sisters in Israel!
Aug 6, 2003
NJ summers; FL winters
✟25,548.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Republican
I have Life is Beautiful scheduled on my DVR. :)

And I recorded Fiddler on the Roof last month. The scene about Shabbat and the lighting of the candles was absolutely beautiful - I never noticed that before. Unfortunately I realized that the storyline was absolutely post-modern. :( But Topol was a big hunky bear! :D

Thanks for the recommendations!

Upvote 0

BarbB

Aug 6, 2003
NJ summers; FL winters
✟25,548.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

BarbB

Aug 6, 2003
NJ summers; FL winters
✟25,548.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Republican
insaneinthebrain said:
Always!

I mean, um, of course not! :o

(By the way, smileycentral seems to have snuck some spam into your post)
Wow, that's the end of smiley-central then. :cry:

Thanks for the headsup - I can't see it! :hug:

Upvote 0

Wags

Senior Veteran
Dec 14, 2004
Oregon
✟12,463.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
A great comedy that dh and I both love is The Frisco Kid - it stars Gene Wilder and a very young Harrison Ford. (Came out in 1979)

Editorial Reviews
Amazon.com
Gene Wilder takes his most unusual role, a naive 19th-century rabbi sent from his native Poland to the fledgling Jewish community in San Francisco, in this warm-hearted comic adventure. The trusting soul is easy prey for the con men and criminals who prey on the immigrants arriving in the Philadelphia port and the rabbi, beaten but unbowed, continues his trek West solo: broke, underequipped, and hopelessly lost. Harrison Ford, fresh from Star Wars, is the roguish outlaw who adopts the determined traveler and the two become unlikely friends as they make their way through one scrape after another. Wilder makes a sincere and sympathetic hero, his faith and courage seeing him through one crisis after another, and fresh-faced Ford makes an endearing scamp of a bank robber. The meandering adventure, overlong at two hours, takes its time as the duo traverses the gorgeous American countryside and end up in the bustling Barbary Coast San Francisco of the Gold Rush era. Legendary hard-edged action director Robert Aldrich (Kiss Me Deadly, The Dirty Dozen) brings a gentle touch and easygoing humor to this family-oriented adventure, but old habits die hard. While staying within PG parameters, Aldrich adds a little grit to the Old West fistfights and gunfights. --Sean Axmaker

Even though this is a comedy - the rabbi's stong faith is one of things that makes a big impression on most everyone that sees this movie.

Edited to add: This is FINALLY going to be released on DVD on 14Feb06! YEAH!!!!

Upvote 0

Ivy

Pray for President Barack Obama
Oct 26, 2005
NY State
✟17,402.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Wags said:
A great comedy that dh and I both love is The Frisco Kid - it stars Gene Wilder and a very young Harrison Ford. (Came out in 1979)

Even though this is a comedy - the rabbi's stong faith is one of things that makes a big impression on most everyone that sees this movie.

Edited to add: This is FINALLY going to be released on DVD on 14Feb06! YEAH!!!!
I love the scene in Frisco Kid where his cowboy friend is just jumping out of his skin wanting to get running away from their pursuers......and the rabbi is insisting they wait until sunset....."wait.....wait.....okay, NOW!"
hee hee
That was really funny.

I loved Life is Beautiful, too :)

Upvote 0

Wags

Senior Veteran
Dec 14, 2004
Oregon
✟12,463.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Ivy said:
I love the scene in Frisco Kid where his cowboy friend is just jumping out of his skin wanting to get running away from their pursuers......and the rabbi is insisting they wait until sunset....."wait.....wait.....okay, NOW!"
hee hee
That was really funny.

I loved Life is Beautiful, too :)
I like the scene where he is chasing the praire chicken...."I don't want to hurt you, I just want to eat you!" is one of my favorite lines.

Oh and the scene where he is teaching the indians to dance the hora also cracks us up!

Upvote 0

Espada

Iēsous Christos Theou Huios Sōtēr
Nov 23, 2005
Buckinghamshire, England
✟15,954.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
BarbB said:
And I recorded Fiddler on the Roof last month. The scene about Shabbat and the lighting of the candles was absolutely beautiful - I never noticed that before. Unfortunately I realized that the storyline was absolutely post-modern. :( But Topol was a big hunky bear! :D

Thanks for the recommendations!

It is a great film but it is somewhat sanitized, especially the end, we see everyone leaving and heading to their new lives in other countries. What about all those who had nowhere to go? Several of them say they are going to America, great they will be safe but then his daughter says they are going to Poland:(

Schindler's list was such a great film, if somewhat inaccurate, the scene at the end really got me when they are placing the stones on his grave
00000044.gif

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ivy

Oct 26, 2005
NY State
✟17,402.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Wags said:
I like the scene where he is chasing the praire chicken...."I don't want to hurt you, I just want to eat you!" is one of my favorite lines.

Oh and the scene where he is teaching the indians to dance the hora also cracks us up!

hee hee :cool: I had forgotten about that scene.....and I also just like the rabbi's unassuming sort of courage, when the Indians put him to the test.....he says "of course," almost automatically, when the chief asks him if Torah is worth losing his horse, his clothes, his life for. Wow. :thumbsup:

In my high school growing up, we did Fiddler on the Roof and so I can like talk right along with Tevye from the beginning, "A fiddler on the roof....sounds, crazy, no? But here in our little village of Anatevka......" My kids hate it when I do that, start reciting along....."Mom! Cut it out! We can't hear!"

Oh, and I have a little funny story......we had been watching Fiddler a lot at one point, and there's that part where Tevye and Golde are arguing back and forth about him maybe being late for Shabbat.......? Okay, so one day, I'm trying to get the kids out the door for a lesson or appointment or something, and I'm squawking like a chicken all over the place, "Come ON! Get your shoes on, hurry, we're gonna be late, hurry!"

And my harassed son turns around suddenly (in a perfect Tevye imitation) and says, "I won't be late! I won't be late! If you ever stop TALKING, I won't be late!" hoo hoo :D Boy did we all crack up; it was a real tension breaker.

Upvote 0

DanielRB

Slave of Allah
Jul 16, 2004
New Mexico
✟18,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Shalom All, :wave:

I can be very sentimental at times, so some things on this list aren't necessarily "great" movies, but entertaining:

"Shindler's List"--yes, inaccurate, but it reminds us about the horrors of the holocaust.

"The Holocaust"--Miniseries. I haven't seen it for years, but when it first came out, it was a real education to me.

"Fiddler on the Roof"--Very entertaining.

"Exodus"--A little sappy, but I love stories about the founding of modern Israel. I love the title song!

I know I'm forgetting some that I like...

In Messiah,

Daniel

Upvote 0

Ivy

Oct 26, 2005
NY State
✟17,402.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
DanielRB said:
Shalom All, :wave:

"The Holocaust"--Miniseries. I haven't seen it for years, but when it first came out, it was a real education to me.

Daniel

I remember seeing that one in '78 or '79, I think?.....it was about the Weiss family and how all of them perished except the youngest son and their German daughter-in-law. It was the first Holocaust film I saw and I never forgot it. I'll never forget the scene where the husband finds one of his wife's favorite pieces of music "The Butterfly," after she has perished, and puts his head down on it and cries.......:( And what happened to their beautiful daughter, this bright intelligent girl who had been a classical pianist....... that was the worst thing about the whole story, so brutal and terrible.

Upvote 0

Torah

Senior Veteran
Oct 24, 2004
Florida
Visit site
✟12,588.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Another good movie I just bought “School Ties” with Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, Chris O’Donnell & Brendan Fraser.
It’s about a Jewish boy that goes to a collage in the 50s and hides his jewishness to be accepted. Then through a turn of events his secret is out…. Good movie. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Talmidah

היום כולם יודעים - הרב כהנא צדק
Dec 15, 2003
Visit site
✟32,660.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Private
Torah said:
Another good movie I just bought “School Ties” with Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, Chris O’Donnell & Brendan Fraser.
It’s about a Jewish boy that goes to a collage in the 50s and hides his jewishness to be accepted. Then through a turn of events his secret is out…. Good movie. :thumbsup:

How funny. I just came out to the living room and my daughter is watching this movie right now. ^_^

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ivy

Oct 26, 2005
NY State
✟17,402.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Talmidah said:
How funny. I just came out to the living room and my daughter is watching this movie right now. ^_^
Crossing Delancy Street is a different one......I liked it and didn't like it at the same time......couldn't stand those snooty people she was hanging out with (guess that was the idea ;-), but I loved her grandmother (what a great character!) and the man she finally had enough sense to fall in love with.

Upvote 0