• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

All this talk of movies...

Discussion in 'Messianic Judaism' started by simchat_torah, Jan 31, 2006.

1. simchat_torah

simchat_torah Got Torah?

+407
    Judaism
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Name one of your favorite Jewish films and one that you want to see but haven't yet.

Movie I've seen:

One of my all time favorites has got to be Life Is Beautiful. Robert Benigni is a modern day Charlie Chaplinesque actor who delivers his screentime with emotion and simplicity. The movie centers around Benigni and his son as they are taken away to a Jewish concentration camp during WW2 (well, only the second half of the movie... the first half is pretty much a beautiful love story between him and his wife to be). To keep his son from the horrors of what is taking place around them, he tells his son it is all a game. Benigni allows you to feel the true despair of the prison camp through humor. Sounds offensive, but it is an amazingly beautiful movie.

Roberto Benigni co-wrote, directed and stars in this comedy-drama.

btw, its in Italian.
    (unfortunately, I can't find a good download for the trailer, most seem to be borked)

Movie I'd like to see:

Ushpizin
    (official site:
    http://www.ushpizin.com)
    How 'bout you?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Wags

Wags Senior Veteran

+199
    Messianic
    Married
    I loved Life is Beautiful! Normally I hate dealing with subtitles, but by the end of the movie I hardly even noticed them and I swear I could understand Italian.

I also like The Pianist.

3. stone

stone Senior Contributor Supporter

+427
    Catholic
    Married
    Is Woody Allen jewish?

4. P_G

P_G Pastor - ד ע ה - The Lunch Lady

+850
    Messianic
    Married
    Is the Pope Catholic? :)

PG

5. Jezzy

Jezzy New Member

+0
    Messianic
    Married
    CA-Conservatives
    I agree about The Pianist. Polanski did a great job on that.

6. stone

stone Senior Contributor Supporter

+427
    Catholic
    Married
    I haven't seen or heard of any of these new movies, but i do enjoy Woody Allen films.

7. Wags

Wags Senior Veteran

+199
    Messianic
    Married
    Life is Beautiful & The Pianist aren't new - they've been out for several years and should be available for rent/purchase...

8. simchat_torah

simchat_torah Got Torah?

+407
    Judaism
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    nor are they Woody Allen flicks. ;)

9. Tishri1

Tishri1 Well-Known Member Supporter

+4,097
    Messianic
    Married
    Has anyone seen "The Devil's Arithmetic" WOW....[​IMG]

[SIZE=+1]"This book/movie is about a Jewish teenager who--much like me at that age--hated the idea of having to remember so much Jewish history and ritual. At a family seder, she opens the door to Elijah and finds herself whirled back in time to a Polish Jewish shtetl in the 1940s. There, though she alone understands what will happen to the villagers, she is taken with them to a concentration camp. This is a story of the quiet heroism in the camps and why we must bear witness to history."

[/SIZE]There is even a homeschool packet for those older kids who read the book and can use it for a school assignment

http://www.enotes.com/devils-arithmetic-lesson/72167

10. Mirelys

Mirelys Well-Known Member

+79
    Agnostic
    US-Libertarian
    Life Is Beautiful and the Pianist have already been mentioned so...
    I guess all I can add is Yentl. I LOVE that movie :D

11. insaneinthebrain

insaneinthebrain Noahide

+173
    Judaism
    Private
    US-Libertarian
    I just added this to my Netflix queue, so you better be right about it. *shakes fist*

(just kidding :p)

12. Talmidah

Talmidah היום כולם יודעים - הרב כהנא צדק

+2,075
    Judaism
    Private
    I just asked my daughter Chanah about Devil's Arithmetic about and she said "Oh! That movie is horrible! It is sooooo different from the book. People should read the book and not waste their time with the movie!"

13. Tishri1

Tishri1 Well-Known Member Supporter

+4,097
    Messianic
    Married
    you will need kleenex:cry:

let me know when you get it I have it in my Queue too!^_^

14. plum

plum my thoughts are free

+1,525
    Atheist
    Private
    I can't wait to see Ushpizin! It was only showing in one theater 2 hours from me. So when it hits DVD... woo!

Am I lame for loving Fiddler on the Roof?

Life is BEautiful is one of the best movies I have ever seen. I adore it!

15. Torah

Torah Senior Veteran

+228
    Messianic
    Married
    Devil's Arithmetic Have this on and is very good.
    "Miracle at morcanx" This is about
    Three Jewish kids trying to get out of Nazi held land and end up at a Catholics school for a short time. The ending is good. & a Great Chanukah story. Another movie I give a thumps up to is:thumbsup: “The next Voice you hear” It’s about a family back in the 30's with every day life's troubles when one night on the radio [BT Before Television] G-d speaks to the world and is going to speak each night for 7 days. With “James Whitmore” & Nance Davis – [to become “Nance Regain”]

PS. All books are better than a movie. But try to tell a kid that. lol ;)

16. Torah

Torah Senior Veteran

+228
    Messianic
    Married
    simchat_torah
    Life Is Beautiful is a very good movie. “It’s in Italian”? I bought it on a discount rack at a local move rental for $3.00 and it’s in English.

17. Torah

Torah Senior Veteran

+228
    Messianic
    Married
    “Munich” [sorry for spelling] by Spielberg was very graphic and nasty, to much sex. His point that believe he was trying to get across was you send hit men to kill us, we send hit men to kill you. And the turmoil in this hit mans life. I'm sorry I saw it. But that's just "me".

18. simchat_torah

simchat_torah Got Torah?

+407
    Judaism
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Yup, its an Italian movie. I've seen the English version floating around, but the dubs are so horrible I reccomend staying away from it and just getting the normal subtitled version.

19. BrEnDiNo99

BrEnDiNo99 Member

+10
    Messianic
    Single
    shinders list was also a really great movie

20. simchat_torah

simchat_torah Got Torah?

+407
    Judaism
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    I believe the movie actually had two main pionts:

1) Murder is never justified.

and more importantly-

2) "Innocent" will always be hurt by murder.

While the group of Jews who were sent out to vindicate the slain Israelis tried desperately to keep safe anyone safe who was not on their list, others were always hurt. Whether it be physically or emotionally.

The Jews would debate Rabbinic commentary, "Is this murder justified?" They would go back and forth. They would also take careful note of who was being affected by these revenge killings. Family members, innocent bystanders, etc.

It is a very difficult movie to swallow, and definately has some language, violence, and sex scenes that are not intended for the younger audience. However, its message is deep and profound for those who can stomach its contents.

-Yafet