UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I wanted to ask, what do you believe is the meaning of these passages by the apostle?

1 Corinthians 6:12, 1 Corinthians 10:23

Does this mean that there is no law against anything he does? How are "all things lawful" to him? At Romans 7:19 he talks about the "evil that he does": is the "evil that he does" lawful for him to do? I'm curious as to what "all things are lawful for me" means in relation to, the law and the works of the law? And how this relates to, "sin" and the "legality" of sin in the eyes of God.

Reactions: YouAreAwesome

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I would recommend an exegetical approach before going to other passages to gain understanding.

Outline 1 Cor
How does 6 fit the flow?
Diagram the diagram the passage (sentence)
What is the context based on occasion, outline,central themes?

• Agree
Reactions: Linus
Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I wanted to ask, what do you believe is the meaning of these passages by the apostle?

I am not sure what Paul means, but maybe this is good addition for understanding Paul better.

But we know that the law is good, if a man uses it lawfully, as knowing this, that law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and insubordinate, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, for the sexually immoral, for homosexuals, for slave-traders, for liars, for perjurers, and for any other thing contrary to the sound doctrine;
1 Tim. 1:8-10

In generally I think Paul teaches that law is not condition for salvation. We can’t gain eternal life by obeying the law, which is gift for righteous.

Upvote 0

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am not sure what Paul means, but maybe this is good addition for understanding Paul better.

But we know that the law is good, if a man uses it lawfully, as knowing this, that law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and insubordinate, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, for the sexually immoral, for homosexuals, for slave-traders, for liars, for perjurers, and for any other thing contrary to the sound doctrine;
1 Tim. 1:8-10

I'm curious as to whether this then means that, once a man comes to faith in Christ, that he can no longer be imputed "sin" according to those mentioned at 1 Timothy 1:8-10 as per Romans 4:8

So then, the law only has dominion over those that are outside the covenant with Christ through faith; but to those in the faith, this faith causes God to impute "righteousness" to them that commit "sin" according to the "law" which law, no longer has force of effect upon them, their "sins" no longer imputed? Romans 4:22-24. And that thereby God justifies the "ungodly"? Romans 4:5?

I'm wondering if I am placing too much "worry" on "sin" in trying to be completely free of sin through my own deeds? I realize that, I - through the Spirit of love - do not wish to sin, and this shows my conscience to be in respect to that which is sinless; and that I wish to be rid of it altogether, as one lead by the Spirit would wish. But I wonder if I sometimes get too caught up in "trying" of my own power and will to "vanquish sin" instead of simply, vanquishing sin through faith in Christ, which renders my "sin" irrelevant as the law has no more dominion over me, to accuse me before God in my conscience?

In generally I think Paul teaches that law is not condition for salvation. We can’t gain eternal life by obeying the law, which is gift for righteous.

This also seems true to me. I'm just wondering, as I do not wish to be misleading others (as I am sure not of us wish to do) and perhaps "binding heavy burdens" on them that they are not able to bear. Such as perhaps Matthew 23:4. I really do not want to be doing this, especially when people's lives are difficult enough as is.

But I sincerely wish to understand, as I'm sure do all.

Reactions: Airotciv7
Upvote 0

Ken Behrens

Sep 5, 2016
Milford, Delaware, USA
Visit site
✟25,275.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Paul is saying we can change our focus. If we follow Jesus properly, we will do what Jesus wants, so we automatically do what the Father wants, and that includes obeying the laws. It's part of the "I no longer call you servants, but friends" idea.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

1 Corinthians 6:12
I looked this up on Biblehub http://biblehub.com/kjv/1_corinthians/6.htm and the title of this section is Our Bodies are Members of Christ

12 All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any. 13 Meats for the belly, and the belly for meats: but God shall destroy both it and them. Now the body is not for fornication, but for the Lord; and the Lord for the body. 14And God hath both raised up the Lord, and will also raise up us by his own power. 15Know ye not that your bodies are the members of Christ? shall I then take the members of Christ, and make them the members of an harlot? God forbid. 16 What? know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he, shall be one flesh. 17But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit.

Seems like it is talking about fortification. The next section of scripture the tile is 'Our bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
1 Corinthians 10:23

Does this mean that there is no law against anything he does? How are "all things lawful" to him? At Romans 7:19 he talks about the "evil that he does": is the "evil that he does" lawful for him to do? I'm curious as to what "all things are lawful for me" means in relation to, the law and the works of the law? And how this relates to, "sin" and the "legality" of sin in the eyes of God.
Do All to the God's Glory

23All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not. 24Let no man seek his own, but every man another's wealth. 25Whatsoever is sold in the shambles, that eat, asking no question for conscience sake: 26For the earth is the Lord's, and the fulness thereof. 27If any of them that believe not bid you to a feast, and ye be disposed to go; whatsoever is set before you, eat, asking no question for conscience sake. 28But if any man say unto you, This is offered in sacrifice unto idols, eat not for his sake that shewed it, and for conscience sake: for the earth is the Lord's, and the fulness thereof: 29Conscience, I say, not thine own, but of the other: for why is my liberty judged of another man'sconscience? 30For if I by grace be a partaker, why am I evil spoken of for that for which I give thanks?

31Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. 32Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God: 33Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved.

Upvote 0

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Paul is saying we can change our focus. If we follow Jesus properly, we will do what Jesus wants, so we automatically do what the Father wants, and that includes obeying the laws. It's part of the "I no longer call you servants, but friends" idea.

Are you meaning to say that the "All things" Paul is speaking of mean "All laws"? "All laws are lawful for me?" What are the things that are "lawful" for Paul, but which "edify not": are you meaning that the laws are not edifying?

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm curious as to whether this then means that, once a man comes to faith in Christ, that he can no longer be imputed "sin" according to those mentioned at 1 Timothy 1:8-10 as per Romans 4:8

So then, the law only has dominion over those that are outside the covenant with Christ through faith; but to those in the faith, this faith causes God to impute "righteousness" to them that commit "sin" according to the "law" which law, no longer has force of effect upon them, their "sins" no longer imputed? Romans 4:22-24. And that thereby God justifies the "ungodly"? Romans 4:5?

I think it is more likely so that when person is born anew as the Bible tells, he doesn’t need law to tell what is wrong thing to do, because person understands what is good and right, and don’t want to do what is wrong. Law seems to be for those who don’t understand what is right and wrong and don’t want to do what is right.

But still, I think that for example ten commandments are still valid. We just don’t obey them because someone said we should, but because we understand it is good and right and leads to good things.

I'm wondering if I am placing too much "worry" on "sin" in trying to be completely free of sin through my own deeds? I realize that, I - through the Spirit of love - do not wish to sin, and this shows my conscience to be in respect to that which is sinless; and that I wish to be rid of it altogether, as one lead by the Spirit would wish. But I wonder if I sometimes get too caught up in "trying" of my own power and will to "vanquish sin" instead of simply, vanquishing sin through faith in Christ, which renders my "sin" irrelevant as the law has no more dominion over me, to accuse me before God in my conscience?

One day I found this interesting explanation for what sin means:

In Hebrew, sin is chet – חֵטְא. “Chet is written with three Hebrew letters – chet-ח, tet-ט and aleph-א. Yet, the aleph in this word is silent,” noted Segal. “We know that in Hebrew, the aleph represents God. The word chet – sin – teaches us that a person comes to sin when they have silenced God in their lives.”
http://www.breakingisraelnews.com/76859/hebrew-reveals-secret-nature-sin-yom-kippur/#RF34jT57qJolmpOP.99

I think that is God definition for sin. As long as we remain in God’s words and are faithful to him, we don’t have sin. Even if we make mistakes, I think it all can be forgiven, as long as we don’t reject God. I think that is one line with this also:

He who does righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. To this end the Son of God was revealed, that he might destroy the works of the devil. Whoever is born of God doesn't commit sin, because his seed remains in him; and he can't sin, because he is born of God. In this the children of God are revealed, and the children of the devil. Whoever doesn't do righteousness is not of God, neither is he who doesn't love his brother.
1 John 3:7-10

I have understood that God’s seed is His word.

Also it is said:

For a righteous man falls seven times, and rises up again; But the wicked are overthrown by calamity.
Pro. 24:16

Obviously the goal should be to avoid doing things that are against God’s will, but as long as person doesn’t reject God, I think person has no sin. But what about the whole Law of Moses. Jesus said:

"Don't think that I came to destroy the law or the prophets. I didn't come to destroy, but to fulfill. For most assuredly, I tell you, until heaven and earth pass away, not even one smallest letter or one tiny pen stroke shall in any way pass away from the law, until all things are accomplished. Whoever, therefore, shall break one of these least commandments, and teach others to do so, shall be called least in the Kingdom of Heaven; but whoever shall do and teach them shall be called great in the Kingdom of Heaven.
Mat. 5:17-19

According to the Bible, eternal life is for righteous and on basis of the previous scripture, person may get into the Kingdom of Heaven, even if he has not perfectly obeyed the Law of Moses. So it means, person can be righteous, even if he has not obeyed perfectly the law of Moses. But still, I believe the Law is good and it would be wise to obey it. And good reason to obey it is that person loves God, bad reason is if one thinks that by so he can buy life.

And it is also good to notice, when God made covenant with Moses, it was the ten commandments that were the condition for the promises. So I think they are the important thing as I think also Jesus teaches.

Yahweh said to Moses, "Write you these words: for in accordance with these words I have made a covenant with you and with Israel." He was there with Yahweh forty days and forty nights; he neither ate bread, nor drank water. He wrote on the tablets the words of the covenant, the ten commandments.

Exodus 34:27-28

And if one day you are without sin, don’t think that because of that you deserve eternal life, or gifts from God, because being without sin should be the normal, not something that people try to be to gain a wage. Wage of sin is death, but there is no wage for being righteous. If for example person doesn’t murder only because he tries to gain eternal life, he is probably not righteous, because righteous doesn’t murder because he understands it is wrong. That is how I understand it.

This also seems true to me. I'm just wondering, as I do not wish to be misleading others (as I am sure not of us wish to do) and perhaps "binding heavy burdens" on them that they are not able to bear. Such as perhaps Matthew 23:4. I really do not want to be doing this, especially when people's lives are difficult enough as is.

But I sincerely wish to understand, as I'm sure do all.

That is really nice to hear. I believe you will understand it eventually, don’t worry about it. :)

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: MWood
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think it is more likely so that when person is born anew as the Bible tells, he doesn’t need law to tell what is wrong thing to do, because person understands what is good and right, and don’t want to do what is wrong. Law seems to be for those who don’t understand what is right and wrong and don’t want to do what is right.

It seems this way to me, as well. I've had this discussion before, a one said to me "Then you are saying that it is lawful for Paul to murder?" and I replied "Being lead by the Spirit would mean that, though murder would be lawful for Paul, Paul would not murder, since love is the essence of the Spirit." And being lead by the Spirit no longer necessitates the law, since those lead by the Spirit fulfill the law out of their heart, and not out of "working to get to heaven" or some such understanding.

But still, I think that for example ten commandments are still valid. We just don’t obey them because someone said we should, but because we understand it is good and right and leads to good things.

I believe that the ten commandments are a perfect description of what is "good" as opposed to what is "evil". I, myself, would like to perfectly perform every good thing, but not as a way to "get salvation" but simply because, I love God and others and do not want to cause hurt to either. Sometimes I fail to obey the law, but perhaps my failure to obey the letter of the law, is through the Spirit, a lawful disobedience?

One day I found this interesting explanation for what sin means:

In Hebrew, sin is chet – חֵטְא. “Chet is written with three Hebrew letters – chet-ח, tet-ט and aleph-א. Yet, the aleph in this word is silent,” noted Segal. “We know that in Hebrew, the aleph represents God. The word chet – sin – teaches us that a person comes to sin when they have silenced God in their lives.”
http://www.breakingisraelnews.com/7...et-nature-sin-yom-kippur/#RF34jT57qJolmpOP.99

An excellent insight considering the formation of the word.

I think that is God definition for sin. As long as we remain in God’s words and are faithful to him, we don’t have sin. Even if we make mistakes, I think it all can be forgiven, as long as we don’t reject God. I think that is one line with this also:

He who does righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. To this end the Son of God was revealed, that he might destroy the works of the devil. Whoever is born of God doesn't commit sin, because his seed remains in him; and he can't sin, because he is born of God. In this the children of God are revealed, and the children of the devil. Whoever doesn't do righteousness is not of God, neither is he who doesn't love his brother.
1 John 3:7-10

I have understood that God’s seed is His word.

Also it is said:

For a righteous man falls seven times, and rises up again; But the wicked are overthrown by calamity.
Pro. 24:16

Obviously the goal should be to avoid doing things that are against God’s will, but as long as person doesn’t reject God, I think person has no sin. But what about the whole Law of Moses. Jesus said:

"Don't think that I came to destroy the law or the prophets. I didn't come to destroy, but to fulfill. For most assuredly, I tell you, until heaven and earth pass away, not even one smallest letter or one tiny pen stroke shall in any way pass away from the law, until all things are accomplished. Whoever, therefore, shall break one of these least commandments, and teach others to do so, shall be called least in the Kingdom of Heaven; but whoever shall do and teach them shall be called great in the Kingdom of Heaven.
Mat. 5:17-19

According to the Bible, eternal life is for righteous and on basis of the previous scripture, person may get into the Kingdom of Heaven, even if he has not perfectly obeyed the Law of Moses. So it means, person can be righteous, even if he has not obeyed perfectly the law of Moses. But still, I believe the Law is good and it would be wise to obey it. And good reason to obey it is that person loves God, bad reason is if one thinks that by so he can buy life.

And it is also good to notice, when God made covenant with Moses, it was the ten commandments that were the condition for the promises. So I think they are the important thing as I think also Jesus teaches.

Yahweh said to Moses, "Write you these words: for in accordance with these words I have made a covenant with you and with Israel." He was there with Yahweh forty days and forty nights; he neither ate bread, nor drank water. He wrote on the tablets the words of the covenant, the ten commandments.
Exodus 34:27-28

And if one day you are without sin, don’t think that because of that you deserve eternal life, or gifts from God, because being without sin should be the normal, not something that people try to be to gain a wage. Wage of sin is death, but there is no wage for being righteous. If for example person doesn’t murder only because he tries to gain eternal life, he is probably not righteous, because righteous doesn’t murder because he understands it is wrong. That is how I understand it.

That is really nice to hear. I believe you will understand it eventually, don’t worry about it. :)

Thanks for your reponse, it has given me much to consider, and seems closely in agreement to what I am lead to understand, plus offers additional insights.

Reactions: Airotciv7
Upvote 0

Ken Behrens

Sep 5, 2016
Milford, Delaware, USA
Visit site
✟25,275.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Are you meaning to say that the "All things" Paul is speaking of mean "All laws"? "All laws are lawful for me?" What are the things that are "lawful" for Paul, but which "edify not": are you meaning that the laws are not edifying?
It's pretty hard to expand on the word "all". especially than that is the one God chose for this particular statement. The word "things" is not in the original, but is implied int he Greek word "pas". The actual text speaks of eating food forbidden by the Jewish law, but also can be used as a model for partaking of any activity. In 1Cor. 9:20-22, Paul speaks how he always tried to adapt to the needs of the people around him (and he mentions the differences in the types of laws again), and he know he quoted the Greek poets evangelizing in Athens.

My understanding is that the follower of Jesus has a different focus. He is motivated by being drawn TO the love of God, rather than by running FROM the fear of punishment. And I think the intent of the passage is to apply to all choices in life.

Reactions: ToBeLoved
Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

There are a lot of natural laws and God's laws that would teach lessons to a person who is doing something apparently lawful to himself. For example, one may ask: why can't I take some heroin? Then ICor. 6:12 is a perfect verse for him.

We are free person in God. Truly free. We are entitled to do anything. But we won't. Why not? It is not because something are not permitted by law, but doing those things are harmful to ourselves.

You are entitled to taste any dish available to you. However, I am sure you won't try some of them for the second time.

Upvote 0

YouAreAwesome

☝✌
Oct 17, 2016
Lismore, Australia
✟94,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The old laws were nailed to the cross. We enter into a new covenant that is NOT the old covenant. The old covenant was for those who entered into that covenant only. It was not for any of us today because it ended. It died. Now all things are lawful. We live by the Spirit of love. We weigh up what is prophesied. We make decisions. We don't come under the old law to give us moral guidance. We live by the law of love. Paul is explaining this to the Jewish Christians who think they should still be keeping the law of Moses.

Also Romans 7 is talking from before he became a Christian (sadly too many people use it to justify their sin cycle, but we can and should open ourselves up to others for help getting free of habitual sin - I am not saying this is you by the way! I have no idea about that! What I do know is that You Are Awesome!).

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟281,635.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
The old laws were nailed to the cross. We enter into a new covenant that is NOT the old covenant. The old covenant was for those who entered into that covenant only. It was not for any of us today because it ended. It died. Now all things are lawful. We live by the Spirit of love. We weigh up what is prophesied. We make decisions. We don't come under the old law to give us moral guidance. We live by the law of love. Paul is explaining this to the Jewish Christians who think they should still be keeping the law of Moses.

Also Romans 7 is talking from before he became a Christian (sadly too many people use it to justify their sin cycle, but we can and should open ourselves up to others for help getting free of habitual sin - I am not saying this is you by the way! I have no idea about that! What I do know is that You Are Awesome!).

A cross was never used as a way of disposing of old laws. What was written on crosses were the changes against the person being crucified or the violations of the law they had committed, not the law itself, so they didn't have to legislate new laws every time someone was crucified (Matthew 27:37). This fits perfectly with Jesus dying on the cross in our place to pay the penalty for our sins or violations of God's law, but does not fit at all with do away with God's law. God had no need to do away with His holy, righteous, and good standard, nor should we even want to be separated from a law that is holy, righteous, and good, but rather we should delight in obeying the law by faith, as David and Paul did (Psalms 1:1-2, Romans 7:22).

While it is true that we are under a New Covenant, we are not under a new God, and God's holiness, righteousness, and goodness have not changed, so the way to act in line with God's character has not changed, and as part of the New Covenant, we are still told to follow God's instructions for how to do what is holy, righteous, and good and for how to avoid sin (1 Peter 1:13-16, 1 John 3:4-10, Ephesians 2:10). There are 1,050 commands in the NT, so it is patently absurd to say that everything is lawful. Even if you think you should only obey the four laws mentioned in Acts 15:20, then you should agree that not everything is lawful. Everything listed in 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 is against the Mosaic law, so how can you say that Paul was speaking against those were teaching obedience to the law? Jesus summarized the Mosaic law as being about how to love God and how to love our neighbor (Matthew 22:36-40) and Paul said that love fulfills the entire law (Galatians 5:14), so the Mosaic law precisely is the law of love.

The Mosaic law is what gives us knowledge of sin (Romans 3:20), without it we wouldn't even know what sin is (Romans 7:7), and sin is defined as lawlessness (1 John 3:4), so if you come against obeying the Mosaic law, then you are justifying your sin cycle. Paul was not quoting "everything is lawful" to endorse it, but to argue against it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

YouAreAwesome

☝✌
Oct 17, 2016
Lismore, Australia
✟94,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A cross was never used as a way of disposing of old laws. What was written on crosses were the changes against the person being crucified or the violations of the law they had committed, not the law itself, so they didn't have to legislate new laws every time someone was crucified (Matthew 27:37). This fits perfectly with Jesus dying on the cross in our place to pay the penalty for our sins or violations of God's law, but does not fit at all with do away with God's law. God had no need to do away with His holy, righteous, and good standard, nor should we even want to be separated from a law that is holy, righteous, and good, but rather we should delight in obeying the law by faith, as David and Paul did (Psalms 1:1-2, Romans 7:22).

While it is true that we are under a New Covenant, we are not under a new God, and God's holiness, righteousness, and goodness have not changed, so the way to act in line with God's character has not changed, and as part of the New Covenant, we are still told to follow God's instructions for how to do what is holy, righteous, and good and for how to avoid sin (1 Peter 1:13-16, 1 John 3:4-10, Ephesians 2:10). There are 1,050 commands in the NT, so it is patently absurd to say that everything is lawful. Even if you think you should only obey the four laws mentioned in Acts 15:20, then you should agree that not everything is lawful. Everything listed in 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 is against the Mosaic law, so how can you say that Paul was speaking against those were teaching obedience to the law? Jesus summarized the Mosaic law as being about how to love God and how to love our neighbor (Matthew 22:36-40) and Paul said that love fulfills the entire law (Galatians 5:14), so the Mosaic law precisely is the law of love.

The Mosaic law is what gives us knowledge of sin (Romans 3:20), without it we wouldn't even know what sin is (Romans 7:7), and sin is defined as lawlessness (1 John 3:4), so if you come against obeying the Mosaic law, then you are justifying your sin cycle. Paul was not quoting "everything is lawful" to endorse it, but to argue against it.

I kindly disagree. Having been raised an Adventist I know all the arguments for keeping the Mosaic law.

However, I did not understand covenants. I wonder where your journey takes you?

There are so many arguments presented throughout the NT telling us to get completely free from the curse of the law. Galatians 4:21-31 explains it well. V24 tells us Hagar is the Mosaic covenant. V30 tells us to throw it out.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟281,635.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

The problem with the Corinthians was that they had become puffed up by their knowledge and were using their knowledge to justify or excuse their sin. For example, they were freely committing sexual sins, which was a big problem that Paul was coming against, so it was their position that everything was lawful that Paul was quoting to argue against. Considering that there are 1,050 commands in the NT, many of which were instructed by Paul, it is absurd to interpret this as Paul saying that everything was lawful, especially when he criticized the Corinthians for not obeying the law, such as is 1 Corinthians 6:9-10. In Romans 3:31, Paul said that our faith does not abolish God's law, but rather our faith upholds it, and in Romans 7, Paul said that God's law is holy, righteous, and good, and that it is the good he sought to do and delighted in doing.

Galatians 2:16 (YLT) having known also that a man is not declared righteous by works of law, if not through the faith of Jesus Christ, also we in Christ Jesus did believe, that we might be declared righteous by the faith of Christ, and not by works of law, wherefore declared righteous by works of law shall be no flesh.'

There no definitive article in the Greek, so it is not "works of the law", but "work of law" as the YLT translates it, which means it does not refer to any specific set of laws. Paul used the phrase to refer to Jewish traditions, customs, rulings, and fences for how they taught to obey God's law. The same idea is expressed in how the phrase is used in the Qumran text 4QMMT. At the time, there were some groups of Jews that were teaching that people had to obey God's law according to their customs in order to be saved (Acts 15:1, Galatians), so it was these man-made laws that Paul was arguing against, not against God's law. Paul spoke strongly against sin and we would not know what sin is if it weren't for God's law (Romans 7:7).

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Maybe you are not familiar with the difference between a command and a commandment in the Bible?

I can explain if that will help you

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The problem with the Corinthians was that they had become puffed up by their knowledge and were using their knowledge to justify or excuse their sin. For example, they were freely committing sexual sins, which was a big problem that Paul was coming against, so it was their position that everything was lawful that Paul was quoting to argue against. Considering that there are 1,050 commands in the NT, many of which were instructed by Paul, it is absurd to interpret this as Paul saying that everything was lawful, especially when he criticized the Corinthians for not obeying the law, such as is 1 Corinthians 6:9-10. In Romans 3:31, Paul said that our faith does not abolish God's law, but rather our faith upholds it, and in Romans 7, Paul said that God's law is holy, righteous, and good, and that it is the good he sought to do and delighted in doing.

Galatians 2:16 (YLT) having known also that a man is not declared righteous by works of law, if not through the faith of Jesus Christ, also we in Christ Jesus did believe, that we might be declared righteous by the faith of Christ, and not by works of law, wherefore declared righteous by works of law shall be no flesh.'

There no definitive article in the Greek, so it is not "works of the law", but "work of law" as the YLT translates it, which means it does not refer to any specific set of laws. Paul used the phrase to refer to Jewish traditions, customs, rulings, and fences for how they taught to obey God's law. The same idea is expressed in how the phrase is used in the Qumran text 4QMMT. At the time, there were some groups of Jews that were teaching that people had to obey God's law according to their customs in order to be saved (Acts 15:1, Galatians), so it was these man-made laws that Paul was arguing against, not against God's law. Paul spoke strongly against sin and we would not know what sin is if it weren't for God's law (Romans 7:7).
Why would a New Covenant Christian believe your teaching of the New Testament if you still believe the law is in effect? That is New Testament 101 that it is not and never, ever, ever was for gentiles. Ever.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟281,635.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Maybe you are not familiar with the difference between a command and a commandment in the Bible?

I can explain if that will help you

What do you see as the difference?

Why would a New Covenant Christian believe your teaching of the New Testament if you still believe the law is in effect? That is New Testament 101 that it is not and never, ever, ever was for gentiles. Ever.

The Mosaic law is God's instructions for how to do what is holy, righteous, and good (Romans 7:12) and how to avoid sin (Romans 7:7), and as part of the New Covenant, we are still instructed to do what is holy, righteous, and good, and to avoid sin (1 Peter 1:14-16, 1 John 3:4-10, Ephesians 2:10). Furthermore, that is what our salvation involves being trained by grace to obey (Titus 2:11-14). Our salvation is from sin, and sin is lawlessness, so we have been been redeemed from lawlessness in order to be free to become obedient slaves of God (Romans 6:16). Jesus set a perfect example of how to walk in obedience to the law and we are told to follow his example (1 Peter 2:21-22) and to walk in the same way that he walked (1 John 2:3-6). If Gentiles have never, ever, ever been required to obey God's law, then they have never, ever, ever needed Jesus to come and give himself to redeem them from lawlessness. What should be Bible 101 is that followers of God should follow God's laws and followers of Christ should follow his example.

Last edited:
Reactions: corinth77777
Upvote 0