Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Will people who go to hell be burned alive for eternity?

I'll answer, emphatically no, and recommend anyone who would like to challenge that to do so.

Will there be eternal pain and suffering? Or do you cease to exist?

I don't know.

John 3:16 suggests they will perish, but there is so much to suggest an eternity of suffering that I'm still not quite sure what will happen there.

• Useful
Reactions: mlepfitjw
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So in the bible does it mention eternal suffering? Will people who go to hell be burned alive for eternity?

Hell is the grave ... all wait there in a dormant sleep until Jesus returns. God is not a torturer.

The wicked will be destroyed ...

In the very end everything will be destroyed (the saved are with Jesus and inherit a new earth that God will recreate).

Many verses on this .... here are a couple ...

2 Peter 3:7

But by the same word the heavens and earth that now exist are stored up for fire, being kept until the day of judgment and destruction of the ungodly.

Malachi 4:1

“For behold, the day is coming, burning like an oven, when all the arrogant and all evildoers will be stubble. The day that is coming shall set them ablaze, says the Lord of hosts, so that it will leave them neither root nor branch.

Revelation 21:1
l
Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more.

Revelation 21:5
Berean Literal Bible
And the One sitting on the throne said, "Behold, I make all things new." And He says, "Write this, because these words are faithful and true."

Upvote 0

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
To me, as humans we suffer, and it's seems eternal while we are living here until going back home to God.

Christians suffer even as believers.

After this life though, burning torment, pain, anguish, everlasting forever with no way out? Doesn't seem like God at all but more of a monster, because if God is love. Why would he do such? Especially after God sent his son to pay for the world (all people) and it's sins.

So did Jesus Christ pay for all the sins of everyone 2000 years ago?

If the answer is yes, then how can anyone be accounted as guilty, even with not believing?

Those without faith or have an desires to be with God, and live a sinful life, die and still go back to God, and is given a body that is pleasing to Him, after sorting out that persons life at judgement day. Then each are placed either outside of the City of the heavenly Jerusalem. Or Are placed inside of the heavenly Jerusalem.

Yeshua Christ, judged people by their hearts.

Where does your heart rest is a good question? Resting on the Lord Yeshua, or without because of lack of faith.

Upvote 0

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
@Nick01 you are asking really good questions and remind me of when I was a younger Christian, it has been 4 years since that day of finding him. May you and your family be blessed by the Father in heaven, and the Lord Yeshua my friend.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
8 Bible verses about Eternal Punishment

I found that, and I'm going to continue looking...

The Bible says in several places that the wicked will be burned up and completely destroyed in hellfire. You heard right, the wicked will not burn forever. Malachi 4:1-5 says that on the day of the Lord, “'All the proud, yes, all who do wickedly will be stubble. And the day which is coming shall burn them up,' Says the Lord of hosts, 'That will leave them neither root nor branch’...You shall trample the wicked, for they shall be ashes under the soles of your feet.” Psalms 37:10, 20 also states that the wicked will be no more, they will be carefully looked for but not found.

Verse 20 adds that the enemies of the Lord will die and vanish away into smoke. All that is left of the wicked is smoke and ashes, there will not be any part of them left to be tortured forever. All wickedness will be removed from the earth. The root (Satan) as well as the branches (his followers) will become ashes with no more life left in them.

On the face of the earth there will be utter destruction. Nothing with a taint of sin will be left. 2 Peter 3:10 says, "both the earth and the works that are in it will be burned up.” Isaiah 47:14 describes this fire in the following way, "Behold, they [the wicked] shall be as stubble; the fire shall burn them; they shall not deliver themselves from the power of the flame: there shall not be a coal to warm at, nor fire to sit before it.” The fire will be so complete that it will burn itself out, not even leaving a glowing coal.

According to science, fire needs three things to continue burning: fuel, oxygen, and heat. If any of those three are removed the fire goes out. The fires of hell will go out because, as we read in Isaiah, there will not even be left one coal of combustible material to keep the fires going.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
so does that mean you will suffer and be burned alive for all eternity?

It seems to me that there are conflicting verses, but God doesn't conflict.

It might help if you tell us what led you to belive that is a posssibility?

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree as this topic is argued endlessly and there is a crowd of universalists that flock to thread like this while the non universalists tend to only hang out in the CCT forum

Glad you brought that up, and hopfully the OP knows to ignore the universalists. I'm guessing he does.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
Glad you brought that up, and hopfully the OP knows to ignore the universalists. I'm guessing he does.
I think he should thoroughly explore the topic as apparently it bothers him but the best arguments are in that forum. If I'm looking for answers I want to go to the source if possible.

Upvote 0

UnpopularOpinion

Oct 18, 2020
Wroclaw
✟13,398.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So in the bible does it mention eternal suffering? Will people who go to hell be burned alive for eternity?

People in Lake of Fire burn forever and ever after 2nd resurrection

And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
You'll find lots of people who are convinced of one viewpoint or another. But there were people in the early church who accepted both eternal torment and universal salvation, and I think even the NT authors probably disagreed.

One reason for this is that the passages about judgement use figures. The NT uses language that alludes to the OT. Most of the passages about eternal fire are allusions to Is 66:24. The fire that is not quenched is burning their dead bodies, not tormenting them. And if you look at how "eternal" is used in various OT passages, it's clear that many times it didn't mean literally forever. However there are a few NT passages, primarily in Matthew, that might imply eternal torment. Unfortunately there are also passages such as 1 Cor 15:20-28 that imply that in the end everyone is reconciled. Some of Jesus' teachings suggest people being excluded from the Kingdom, but without the torture, e.g. Luke 13:28.

To deal with this, most people interpret passages in a sense that their authors surely didn't intend, and thus make every passage appear to support their preferred view. I suspect the NT authors didn't agree, and that this disagreement may be extend to how their understood Jesus' teachings.

My personal conclusion is that Jesus himself likely expected that some people would be destroyed, or that they would be excluded from the Kingdom. I doubt that he would say that God tormented some people forever. The most likely passage supporting that is Mat 25:46, but since most passages in Mat are more consistent with destruction, and the meaning of "eternal" is somewhat flexible, it's possible that it might not really mean that. Paul, however, seems to have envisioned everyone, or nearly everyone, being reconciled. (That's not entirely inconsistent with Luke 13:27ff, in which a few people who saw Jesus personally and rejected him are excluded, but the whole rest of the world comes in.)

But beware of people selling easy answers by forcing every passage into their own view. The traditional conservative approach to complex situations is to take a few extreme passages and make everything else conform to them. That's not an approach I accept. I'd rather ask whether there isn't some reason that those passages differ. I'd say that at least in Jesus' teaching, most of the passages are best understood as talking about destruction or exclusion, but not eternal torment.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

The idea that hell is a literal place of fiery torture is certainly one interpretation some Christians have had at different times.

But it's never been the view, or even the primary view.

Here's what the 7th century theologian St. Isaac bishop of Nineveh writes, and it is more reflective of the ancient Christian understanding (and is still the way most Eastern Christians still talk about hell today),

As for me I say that those who are tormented in hell are tormented by the invasion of love. What is there more bitter and violent than the pains of love? Those who feel they have sinned against love bear in themselves a damnation much heavier than the most dreaded punishments. The suffering with which sinning against love afflicts the heart is more keenly felt than any other torment. It is absurd to assume that the sinners in hell are deprived of God’s love. Love is offered impartially. But by its very power it acts in two ways. It torments sinners, as happens here on earth when we are tormented by the presence of a friend to whom we have been unfaithful. And it gives joy to those who have been faithful.

That is what the torment of hell is in my opinion: remorse. But love inebriates the souls of the sons and daughters of heaven by its delectability.

Early Christians looked at the biblical language, how the Scriptures speak of fire in different ways. For example, throughout the Bible we see the language of God as a refiner who purifies through fire, like taking gold and heating it with flame, to burn away the impurities. The refiner's fire. Fire is also used to destroy, so we read in St. Peter's first epistle that the present and sinful age will be consumed by fire, and St. John in the Revelation speaks of a lake burning with fire and sulfur. Note, however, that in the ancient world sulfur was a purifying agent, sulfur was used as an incense viewed as being able to purify and cleanse, in fact the Greek word translated as sulfur/brimstone is θεῖον (theion), "divinity" or "divine substance", called such because of association of sulfur with purification in religious contexts. Further, the author of Hebrews says "our God is a consuming fire".

So here many Christians saw all of this language of fire and identified it with God, the God of judgment is the God of mercy; thus hell is not a deprivation of God's loving presence, it is God's loving presence. In the same way heaven is also God's loving presence. The difference between heaven and hell isn't about "where" one is, and it isn't about God's disposition toward us. The difference between heaven and hell is about our disposition toward God.

Thus for the redeemed God's love is a fire that warms and kindles us, as boundless joy. But the same love, the same fire, is a torment for those who dwell in the remorse. The anguish, the pain, isn't from God, but is from within ourselves.

The 20th century prolific Christian writer and thinker C.S. Lewis also provides us with some excellent commentary and thought provoking ideas in his work The Great Divorce (which I cannot recommend highly enough),

"The whole difficulty of understanding Hell is that the thing to be understood is so nearly Nothing. But ye'll have had experiences...it begins with a grumbling mood, and yourself still distinct from it: perhaps criticizing it. And yourself, in a dark hour, may will that mood, embrace it. Ye can repent and come out of it again. But there may come a day when you can do that no longer. Then there will be no you left to criticize the mood, nor even to enjoy it, but just the grumble itself going on forever like a machine."

It's not about God "sending us to hell", so much as our actively wanting and choosing hell. Or even, as Lewis puts it elsewhere, that there is something in each of us that will become hell unless it is nipped in the bud. Hell is not something God sends anyone to, nor a choice God makes for anyone--indeed, we see in the Scriptures where God declares, "Do I delight in the death of the wicked? ... do I not rather that he turn from his ways and live?"

If one looks down through the centuries, the fact of the matter is that there have been a lot of different ways Christians have read the various passages of Scripture on the topic of the fate of the wicked. And there's never been anything resembling a universal consensus. What is hell? Is hell forever? These are questions that have been answered differently, and there is no standard, universal, or definitive orthodox position to such questions. Because, frankly, the Bible itself actually has remarkably very little to say about hell--Jesus speaks about Gehenna a few times, the New Testament broadly speaks of judgment and destruction of this age, and that we are perishing without new life from Christ, and then we have the very colorful language of St. John in the Revelation. But there isn't a clear through-line that gives us a unambiguous picture of these things.

Which really just means that if anyone claims they have THE answer to the question, they don't. They just have a very strong opinion.

I've provided you here with some views from two very well respected historic Christian thinkers, but speaking personally while these do tend to reflect my own ways of thinking on the subject, I am rather intentionally agnostic on the subject of hell. I don't have a dogmatic position, because I don't think a dogmatic position is really possible.

So what does that mean? Well, for me, it means that I put my hope in Jesus Christ. Not just for myself, but for everyone. I have trust in God's justice and mercy, I have trust that whatever happens, the One who does know is good, loving, kind, and just. In essence, I don't believe anyone will be "in hell" except those who want to be "there". And, I pray, that the number of people that ultimately want to be there is as close to zero as can be.

It's not something that keeps me up at night, because I trust that the God who meets us in Christ--who suffered, bled, and died for us sinners--is who He says He is. He is a just and gracious God.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0