All Israel will be saved?

ardmore

Jun 23, 2014
✟15,135.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In Romans 9 through 11, Paul deals with the respective place of Jews and Gentiles in God’s plan of salvation. While contrasting Israel’s rejection of Jesus as the Messiah with the acceptance of Him by the Gentiles, the apostle makes the striking statement: “And so all Israel will be saved” (11:26).

So in a Calvinist's perspective, do you think all Israel will be saved?
And also[FONT=arial, sans-serif] the State of [/FONT]Israel[FONT=arial, sans-serif] was founded in [/FONT]1948 is a powerful proof?

Peace.

Last edited:

Foghorn

Saved by grace
Mar 8, 2010
New England
Visit site
✟36,476.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes ofcourse.

And also[FONT=arial, sans-serif] the State of [/FONT]Israel[FONT=arial, sans-serif] was founded in [/FONT]1948 is a powerful proof?
Nope. IMO it has nothing to do with it.

Upvote 0

stenerson

Apr 6, 2013
✟14,161.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
In Romans 9 through 11, Paul deals with the respective place of Jews and Gentiles in God’s plan of salvation. While contrasting Israel’s rejection of Jesus as the Messiah with the acceptance of Him by the Gentiles, the apostle makes the striking statement: “And so all Israel will be saved” (11:26).

All Israel will be saved because scripture says so. The question and the division is concerning what does Paul mean by "all Israel."

Peace.

There isn't one homogenous position held by "Calvinist."

Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
The modern-day "State of Israel" is not identical to the Biblical "Israel".

You don't say. But that just opens up the question, What is meant by "all Israel"?

Part of the answer might be given in an earlier verse in chapter 9, where Paul says "the are not all Israel which are of Israel." Also, in chapter 11 he speaks of his hope that some of his fellow Jews will convert through his preaching. In other words, the Israel being spoken of is not a political or ethnic entity. He is talking about his Jewish contemporaries, who will become Christians.

Upvote 0

Skala

I'm a Saint. Not because of me, but because of Him
Mar 15, 2011
✟27,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
A Jew is not one outwardly, but inwardly.

Not from circumcision of the flesh, but rather, circumcision of the heart.

So yes, all of Israel will be saved.

"In other words, it is not the children by physical descent who are God’s children, but it is the children of the promise who are regarded as Abraham’s offspring" Romans 9

Paul goes on to explain that the children of the promise who are regarded as Abraham's offspring are God's elect

Upvote 0

Don Maurer

^Oh well^
Jun 5, 2013
Pa, USA, Earth, solar system, milky way, universe.
✟53,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I agree that there must be a future for believing genetic Israelites in some way. The passage you quote is the most convincing in the scriptures. The context of Romans 11 seems clear. In Romans 11:1 Paul uses the term Israelite in the chapter and it is indisputable it is referring to genetic Israel. The term Israel will also occur in verse 25 and I see no reason to expand it in verse 25 beyond genetic Israel. I also see no contextual reason to change the meaning of the term Israel in verse 26 to something other than genetic Israel.

On the other hand, I would not agree that all references in the scripture to "Israel" refer to some form of genetic Israel. One passage seems to refer include believing Gentiles in the term "Israel" is Ephesians 2.
Eph 2:12 that ye were at that time separate from Christ, alienated from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of the promise, having no hope and without God in the world.
The concept of "πολιτειας" or commonwealth, involves Gentiles in some form of citizenship in Israel. In verse 19 a synonym occurs in the word "συμπολιται" (fellow citizens), another term of citizenship. We are fellow citizens with genetic Israel in another Israel.

I do not agree that there is one simple definition of the term "Israel" in the bible. In fact in it is impossible to have one simple definition of the term in a passage like Romans 9:6.
Rom 9:6 But it is not as though the word of God hath come to nought. For they are not all Israel, that are of Israel:
If there is only one definition, then Romans 9:6 would be total non sense. While I do not intend to do any exegesis of Romans 9:6, I simply want to mention that in this passage, there must be two different meanings for the term "Israel" for the term to make any sense in this verse.

So then, while I can agree with the OP that Romans 11:26 refers to genetic believing Israel and while I agree that there is a future for genetic Israel in God's salvation, and that rejection of genetic Israel is presently partial and temporary, I would not assume any great distinctions between the terms "Church" and "Israel" to build an entire system of eschatology. I also want to mention that there are at least a few A-Millenialists and Post Millenialists who draw the same conclusion that I am. Of course a salvific future for believing genetic Israel is most common among dispensationalists (which I am not one).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,424.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
We need to keep in mind that when God brings a Jew into the church they must give up their idolatrous Judaism and become Christians. Judaism was a type, a shadow and a republicaiton of the covenant of works.

They cannot remain Jewish for that covenant is done away with.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Upvote 0

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The key to the passage is Rom 11:13-14

Inasmuch then as I am an apostle of Gentiles, I magnify my ministry, if somehow I might move to jealousy my fellow countrymen and save some of them.

So, when made jealous those branches that have been torn off because of unbelief are grafted back in, only then the whole Israel of God, both Jew and Gentile, is saved. It is in this way "all Israel will be saved" for "they are not all Israel who are descended from Israel" (Rom 9:6).

The fact the Paul says he hopes to save "some of them" shows that we cannot interpret all Israel being saved as all of ethnic Israel.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
M

mannysee

Kim Riddlebarger's Amillennialism 101 audio series (found on his blog) contains one lecture Romans 9-11 , part 26, which presents one answer to this question.

He outlines four different views and presents a defence of the ethnic? view.

The modern state of Israel is the, "White elephant in the room."

Could be worth a listen to.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bibledoctrine

Saint Son of my Father
Jul 30, 2011
www.abbafather.co
✟16,459.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
All Israel (Jews) one day in the future as prophesized by God in hundreds of Old Testament that He will never totally destroy Israel from the face of the earth. The epistle Paul was given to identify Israel is "Israel of God" inside Galatians 6:16, which identifies Israel (Jews) not Gentiles. Gentiles have NOT replaced Israel today, the Body of Christ is NOT Israel today. Romans 9-11 explains how God has diminished and set aside Israel today for a season, or a time, until He returns His attention to save all Israel (Jews) in the book of Revelation, this is also called "Jacob's Trouble". When did anyone refer a Gentile to "Jacob's Trouble"? Never! God will never break His covenant with Israel, but will gather them again and save them from the Anti-Christ and False Prophet and Satan during Jacob's Trouble in Revelation.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,424.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
That is the Dispensational perspective, yes, but not all Premil is the same. In fact, no Jew will be saved on the merrits of the Mosaic covenant of works but only by the blood of Christ.

I am not opposed to the idea of God calling a remnant of people from ethnic Jewish ancestry, not at all, but I am opposed to the Dispey idea of Jews returning to a covenant of works when it has been fulfilled in Jesus.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Upvote 0

Don Maurer

^Oh well^
Jun 5, 2013
Pa, USA, Earth, solar system, milky way, universe.
✟53,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
All Israel (Jews) one day in the future as prophesized by God in hundreds of Old Testament that He will never totally destroy Israel from the face of the earth.
I agree that there is a future for genetic Israel to fulfill many prophecies in the OT. I would even agree that at a certain prophetic point in time, all Israel will be saved, but I would also suggest that at this same point, all Gentiles will be saved. I take this as a part of the "now and then" aspect of prophecy, and that is another big discussion.

The epistle Paul was given to identify Israel is "Israel of God" inside Galatians 6:16, which identifies Israel (Jews) not Gentiles.
Well, I am not sure that this proposition is so obvious. There is a lot of Covenant Material in Galatians. Do you realize that many Covenant Theologians use the same passage to support that Gentiles are part of the "Israel of God?" That would be another large contextual discussion.

Gentiles have NOT replaced Israel today, the Body of Christ is NOT Israel today.
Actually, this is the older dispensational claim that all Covenant theology is "replacement theology." While some forms of Covenant Theology is "replacement theology," I doubt many in Covenant Theology would actually say that the Church has replaced Israel. That is not actually the concept they use.

Romans 9-11 explains how God has diminished and set aside Israel today for a season, or a time, until He returns His attention to save all Israel (Jews) in the book of Revelation, this is also called "Jacob's Trouble". When did anyone refer a Gentile to "Jacob's Trouble"? Never! God will never break His covenant with Israel, but will gather them again and save them from the Anti-Christ and False Prophet and Satan during Jacob's Trouble in Revelation.
While you are saying some things here that have some truth in them, what is missing is the fact that Gentiles are included in OT prophetic statements. As one example of this, lets go back to the book of Galatians.
Gal 3:7 Know therefore that they that are of faith, the same are sons of Abraham. In this passage, Gentiles are sons of Abraham by faith. Sounds much like we come under the promises of the Abrahamic Covenant. Dispensationalists seem to me to miss this point that the Abrahamic Covenant included Gentiles. In the next verse, Paul moves on to show where Gentiles are included in the promises of the Abrahamic Covenant.
Gal 3:8 And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel beforehand unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all the nations be blessed.
Specifically, the phrase "In thee shall all the nations of the earth be blessed" relates to the Gentiles. This promise to the Gentiles is even called "the gospel" in that verse.
The passage has book ends.
Gal 3:9 So then they that are of faith are blessed with the faithful Abraham.

This theme of Gentile salvation is found in other places in the OT. In the day Israel is saved, so is Assyria and Egype. Just read this passage.
Isa 19:22 And Jehovah will smite Egypt, smiting and healing; and they shall return unto Jehovah, and he will be entreated of them, and will heal them.
Isa 19:23 In that day shall there be a highway out of Egypt to Assyria, and the Assyrian shall come into Egypt, and the Egyptian into Assyria; and the Egyptians shall worship with the Assyrians.
Isa 19:24 In that day shall Israel be the third with Egypt and with Assyria, a blessing in the midst of the earth;
Isa 19:25 for that Jehovah of hosts hath blessed them, saying, Blessed be Egypt my people, and Assyria the work of my hands, and Israel mine inheritance.

Notice verse 25, Egypt my people. The term "my people" is covenant terminology. Israel is usually called "my people." Here it is Egypt.

The bottom line is that I agree that in a certain future day, all Israel will be saved. In that same day, all Gentiles will be saved. All will be saved by faith.

I am still a work in progress and could write a lot on this subject on how I got where I am, but this is not the place.

Upvote 0

bfdd6988

Site Supporter
Jan 19, 2015
✟8,116.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
As a TULIP affirmer with Dispy roots, I think that Paul was saying that there will come a time when the nation/ethnicity of Israel will believe as a whole, but not all the individual Jews. There's no biblical precedent for God saving all the individual parts of the whole, but a remnant only. The presumed belief regarding a Jew now is that he doesn't believe in Jesus, but in that glorious future, that will change. Regarding the modern state of Israel, I just don't see how a Christian could fail to see the prophetic significance of her re-emergence. Keep in mind that there was never a time when all of the Promised Land was occupied by the Jews. I don't see God having rescinded that promise in Scripture, therefore it's logical to assume that it'll be fulfilled, perhaps once the nation finally "looks upon the One whom they pierced".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

Peace.

All Israel will indeed be saved. Paul's meaning of "Israel" in Romans 11:26 is the "Israel of God" or spiritual Israel or God's elect. He will call them all by name. Not one of them will be missing.

The modern nation state known as Israel has nothing to do with Romans 9-11.

Upvote 0