Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
In Rev 6:8 the rider on the pale horse may not have been an angel but it was referred to with a personal pronoun so it was obviously a sentient being.

Interesting question you raise here about horsemen in this passage being "sentient beings". My first reaction was to say: "well.... no, I don't think so." Yet
recognizing the first rider with the crown and the bow is Christ (Who obviously is a "sentient being"). So OK; possibility there!

The second rider is (usually deemed as) "war"; "death and hell". The gray horse with the rider with a balance in his hand. (The balances most likely being representative of the law. The "sentient being" ultimately who gave the law is God.) "The law" though having application that entails the whole of time and when all things are fulfilled will be "done away with".

So is "the spirit of war" "death" and "hell" (though we usually only define them as concepts) really of the "invention" of a sentient "spirit" or "intelligence" otherwise defined? I don't know? It's a rather abstract concept, but I suppose it is a possibility.

When I did a study on "darkness upon the face of the deep" in Genesis, I got the impression that this "entity" that sought to suppress the light had an active "intelligence" of some sort. (I don't know if you read that thread? I think I saw a response from you on there?)

Theory on the origin of evil

Anyways, maybe what you see as the "sentience" of "war", "death" and "hell" is the "end game" of the "darkness on the face of the deep" back in Genesis?

Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟487,658.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
The lake of fire passages, in context.
Revelation 2:11 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death.
Revelation 20:6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.
Revelation 19:20 And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone.
And 1000 years later, the beast and the false prophet, who is a person, are still in the lake of fire.
Revelation 20:10 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and they] shall be tormented [plural verb] day and night for ever and ever.
Revelation 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
Revelation 20:15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.
Revelation 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.
The lake of fire [LOF] is called “the second death” twice in Rev. vss. 20:14 and 21:8. While this is true, Rev. never says that anyone is thrown into the LOF then they die. The terms the “lake of fire” and “ the second death” are interchangeable, “the lake of fire” is “the second death” and the “second death” is “the lake of fire,” thus we can see that it is not synonymous with death or destruction.
…..We also see that being thrown into the LOF is not synonymous with death from Rev 19:20, where the beast and the false prophet, who is a person, are thrown into the LOF and 1000 years later in 20:10 the devil, is thrown into the LOF. Three living beings, are thrown into the LOF but they do not die, they are tormented day and night for ever and ever. There is not one verse in Revelation which says anyone or anything is thrown into the LOF then they/it dies.
…..Rev 20:14 says death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. Death is the point in time end of life, it has no physical presence and cannot be literally thrown anywhere. Since neither death nor hell could or have died a first death they can’t die a second death. But there is a scriptural answer which does not involve jumping through hoops mixing literal and figurative in one sentence, there is a death and hell which can be thrown into the LOF.

Revelation 6:8 And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.
The angel of death and the demon of hell are thrown into the LOF and their power to kill ended.
More verses which show that the LoF is not synonymous with death or destruction. Rev 21:4 says “there shall be no more death” in vs. 5 Jesus said “Behold I make all things new.” “No more death””all things new” but 3 verses later Rev 21:8 says certain groups “shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.” If there is no more death after vs. 4 then those thrown into the lake of fire in vs. 8 do not die.

Revelation 21:4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
Revelation 21:5 And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.
Revelation 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

I do not have a problem with the scriptures; but some of your comments suggest problems. I am basically a "Historist"; and while this may not explicitly describe me I certainly am not a "futurist". While I see nothing seriously wrong with what you have said, I would expect a futurist would see nothing wrong either; but the futurist and I disagree; disagree is not strictly true, it is more a matter of process.

When I read scripture I learn a lesson after which the details (metaphors, symbols) become irrelevant; for the literalist on the other hand the details are everything including the lesson and they gold plate metaphors as though they were not metaphors. Also literalists takes Revelation out of the context of the "Law and the prophets", the Psalms, and the covenant which they have abrogated.

• Winner
Reactions: FineLinen
Upvote 0