• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Alexandria Cortez quits social media due to "public health risk".

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by NothingIsImpossible, Apr 17, 2019 at 4:47 AM.

1. NothingIsImpossible

NothingIsImpossible Well-Known Member

+2,634
    Christian
    Married
    Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez quits Facebook, calls social media ‘a public health risk’

To me this is hilarious. The real reason she quit is because she realized she is good at dishing it out, but not so much at taking it. If there is one thing you learn on social media quick, the more you rant in politics, the more hard it becomes to exist in social media. Also saying its a public health risk is so silly. Does she really think anyone falls for that being the reason?

Her and Trump basically are the same people but on different ends of the spectrum in politics.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Archaeopteryx

Archaeopteryx Wanderer

+2,533
    Atheist
    Private
    Huh? It says that she is "cutting back on her use of Twitter and Instagram," not abandoning social media altogether. And that's understandable to anyone who has spent enough time on social media, particularly if their posts concern political content.
    I've heard this elsewhere, and every time I hear it I have to laugh because it's just so absurd. Ocasio-Cortez is a rich elite who has been married and divorced multiple times, has mocked people with disabilities, incited hatred toward reporters, and bragged about grabbing others by their genitals?

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. thecolorsblend

thecolorsblend If God is your Father, who is your Mother?

+4,478
    Catholic
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    Are you really that determined to not recognize their grassroots appeal as charismatic outsiders with big presences on social media who specialize in metaphorical bomb-throwing in their respective political careers?

There’s missing the point and then there’s your post up there.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. Aryeh Jay

Aryeh Jay Veteran Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+7,077
    United States
    Married
    Starting from the bottom as the child of immigrant parents and years of amassing a vast fortune by himself by using his superior intellect and knowledge of the real-estate market has given President Trump the ability to completely destroy his opponents on social media with his well thought out posts that cause his opponents and distractors to flee with their tails between their legs. Clearly Trump has been chosen by God for even greater things.

5. TLK Valentine

TLK Valentine You will be who you will be. We are our choices.

+15,400
    Agnostic
    Single
    Death threats are a health risk... Donald has successfully stifled one of his opponents.

6. GoldenBoy89

GoldenBoy89 We're Still Here

+13,715
    Humanist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    A politician who doesn't want to be a part of the Twitter mob? Now that's refreshing.

7. Nithavela

Nithavela Buy more eggs

+9,359
    Germany
    Other Religion
    Single
    As someone without a twitter or facebook account, I congratulate her on this sensible, if late decision.

8. FireDragon76

FireDragon76 Ship of Fools Supporter

+8,228
    United States
    Lutheran
    Legal Union (Other)
    Yeah, but at least she has the common sense to realize that social media can be toxic. Trump seems more like the Toxic Avenger, in that regard.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. NothingIsImpossible

NothingIsImpossible Well-Known Member

+2,634
    Christian
    Married
    Problem with your argument is your turning it into "A is not as bad as B, thus B is acceptable!". My mom is a self-centered, abusive, loud, selfish, rage-filled person. But when you tell her that, she says shes not as bad as her dad is. So in her mind that makes how she acts ok.

Trump and Cortez are the same. Both silver spooned people who in politics lie, twist things, exaggerate, make up things, throw nasty statements at each other....so on and so forth. I have no care for either them.

10. Ttalkkugjil

Ttalkkugjil Spiritual Director

+722
    Korea, Republic Of
    Christian
    Married
    CA-Conservatives
    Alexandria Who?

11. PeachyKeane

PeachyKeane Newbie

+3,145
    Presbyterian
    Married
    Yeah, but when she does it, it's sorta evil. When Donald does it, it's sorta dreamy...

12. RocksInMyHead

RocksInMyHead God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!

+864
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Democrat
    I agree that there are some similarities between them in that both have populist appeal and a confrontational style, but calling Cortez "silver spooned" is a pretty big stretch, especially in comparison to Trump. By all accounts, she had a pretty average lower middle-class to middle-class upbringing, and she was working as a bartender before getting into politics.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  13. FireDragon76

FireDragon76 Ship of Fools Supporter

+8,228
    United States
    Lutheran
    Legal Union (Other)
    I read a story about her mom, who lives not too far away from where I live. Her life has had its share of tragedies to deal with at a relatively young age, she's not like Trump in that respect.

14. super animator

super animator Dreamer

+1,528
    Agnostic
    I literally only have an account to unblock the features that twitter has blocked.

15. GoldenBoy89

GoldenBoy89 We're Still Here

+13,715
    Humanist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    I don't have a Twitter. I still have my Facebook account though I never post on there anymore but I mostly keep it for the messenger app. IG is way better for memes and keeping up with what my friends are doing plus I appreciate the less cluttered layout of it so I mostly only use that.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  16. Ringo84

Ringo84 Separation of Church and State expert

+3,836
    United States
    Baptist
    Single
    US-Others
    Actually, I think AOC is one of the best congresspeople out there - both parties included - for being able to absolutely own the argument whenever some "alternatively intelligenced" denizen of Twitter tries to take her on.

But it's sad that in the absence of good arguments for their policies, many so-called "conservatives"* are resorting to intimidation, death threats, and lies in order to silence the opposition. They are everything they've ever accused "the left" of being, only worse.

* not necessarily including OP here. I'm mostly speaking generally.

Ringo

17. Ringo84

+3,836
    United States
    Baptist
    Single
    US-Others
    I don't either, and very little of what I've seen/read about it makes me want to change that. I feel guilty enough about continuing to use Facebook in the wake of all the privacy scandals involving Zuckbot 9000 - even though it keeps me in touch with old friends (including a few people I met here).

How much of a pit of vipers is Instagram? Serious question. I have an account, but I haven't done much of anything with it.
    Ringo

18. Sketcher

Sketcher Born Imperishable

+4,546
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Republican
    One less vector for making herself look stupid, but the cat's out of the bag.

19. tulc

tulc loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!

+12,703
    Christian
    Married
    ...please tell me you voted for President Trump! Because while I find the idea that what she posts makes her look "stupid" pretty doggone funny, the idea of someone who voted for President Trump making that claim would just be...beyond belief! :oldthumbsup:
    tulc(wont be disappointed if Sketcher didn't, but he just like to check before making an assumption) :wave:

20. Ringo84

+3,836
    United States
    Baptist
    Single
    US-Others
    "Conservatives" keep insisting that she's "stupid" or is "making herself look stupid", but nobody who has tried to go toe-to-toe with her has managed to do anything other than making themselves look foolish. I think "conservatives" are hoping that telling a Big Lie enough times about AOC will make it stick in people's heads "AOC = stupid" so that she's permanently tarnished.

Then there's the irony of supporters of the "stable genius" accusing someone in the opposing party of "making herself look stupid", but that's a subject unto itself.
    Ringo

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List