Florida
✟17,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I always go back and forth and I've asked here before.
Everytime I think about wanting a drink or a couple beers I feel im doing something wrong and feel guilty.

It makes me feel im living less than what I could be in the christian life because it can be a stumbling block for others.

Theres just something that doesnt set right about the idea of drinking.
So Im assuming its best I dont drink, but how do I stop thinking about it, if I dont drink.

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟932,333.00
Faith
Atheist
There are subsections of this forum that are set aside for just Christians. I think this sort of question, given your framing of it, is better suited there. You could ask a moderator to move it for you (just use the report button to report yourself and ask), or you could just start a new thread there and let this one die.

But since you are here ...
  • If it doesn't feel right, just don't.
  • If there is alcohol abuse in your family, then don't.
That said, I think it is worth the time to figure out why you have guilty feelings. Is it because of a strict upbringing? Is it because others look down on you? Who are these people and what are they to you? (These questions aren't meant for you to answer here.)

The whole stumbling block thing I've never understood. When I was very young, my family went to a church that thought going to movies was wrong. "Disney might be ok, but we wouldn't want to be a stumbling block." Really? If I go see Bambi, someone might conclude that Debbie Does Dallas is cool. This line of thinking never worked for me. People who would actually draw that conclusion shouldn't be allowed in public. (I exaggerate for effect.)

Drinking is a little different since someone people might have a problem understanding limits. But are these people adults? Have they had no instruction in life? They can't tell when they feel woozy that they might want to stop drinking? Even if they were susceptible, how exactly would there observation of you have 1 beer make them stumble?

If I am around an alcoholic, I don't drink. If I can tell or I've been told that someone gets uncomfortable around alcohol, I don't drink -- at least until I understand the situation better. But surely strangers aren't watching me and drawing conclusions about how to live life. I mean, I've never done that. Have you actually observed an idiot burning rubber and almost hitting a lamppost and concluded that you too should do this? I mean since you have a drink now and then, I hope I can conclude you are an adult. I don't think adults look at other random adults and suddenly conclude from ridiculous behavior that they should be ridiculous too.

Beyond a few courtesies I mentioned above, I wouldn't worry about being a stumbling block.

Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
If it bothers you or you realize that you are drinking too much, then don't. Once in a while, I'll have a beer with my wife over pizza, or one with a friend over Chinese food. I take sips of whiskey at home for sinus trouble. (It helps me sneeze.)

Upvote 0

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Everytime I think about wanting a drink or a couple beers I feel im doing something wrong and feel guilty.

It makes me feel im living less than what I could be in the christian life because it can be a stumbling block for others.

So Im assuming its best I dont drink, but how do I stop thinking about it, if I dont drink.

The alarm bells went off for me with your last sentence. I'm what is called a 'heavy drinker' myself. Wine with dinner, wine or cocktail in the evening watching a movie, parties with friends etc, but when I'm not drinking I don't keep thinking about drinking.

I don't think your issue is so much about religion as it may be about alcoholism. -If- that is the case, you may benefit from advice from AA or some other alcohol treatment program.

• Agree
Reactions: Kentonio
Upvote 0

JoshFL

Oct 6, 2017
Florida
✟17,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are subsections of this forum that are set aside for just Christians. I think this sort of question, given your framing of it, is better suited there. You could ask a moderator to move it for you (just use the report button to report yourself and ask), or you could just start a new thread there and let this one die.

But since you are here ...
  • If it doesn't feel right, just don't.
  • If there is alcohol abuse in your family, then don't.
That said, I think it is worth the time to figure out why you have guilty feelings. Is it because of a strict upbringing? Is it because others look down on you? Who are these people and what are they to you? (These questions aren't meant for you to answer here.)

The whole stumbling block thing I've never understood. When I was very young, my family went to a church that thought going to movies was wrong. "Disney might be ok, but we wouldn't want to be a stumbling block." Really? If I go see Bambi, someone might conclude that Debbie Does Dallas is cool. This line of thinking never worked for me. People who would actually draw that conclusion shouldn't be allowed in public. (I exaggerate for effect.)

Drinking is a little different since someone people might have a problem understanding limits. But are these people adults? Have they had no instruction in life? They can't tell when they feel woozy that they might want to stop drinking? Even if they were susceptible, how exactly would there observation of you have 1 beer make them stumble?

If I am around an alcoholic, I don't drink. If I can tell or I've been told that someone gets uncomfortable around alcohol, I don't drink -- at least until I understand the situation better. But surely strangers aren't watching me and drawing conclusions about how to live life. I mean, I've never done that. Have you actually observed an idiot burning rubber and almost hitting a lamppost and concluded that you too should do this? I mean since you have a drink now and then, I hope I can conclude you are an adult. I don't think adults look at other random adults and suddenly conclude from ridiculous behavior that they should be ridiculous too.

Beyond a few courtesies I mentioned above, I wouldn't worry about being a stumbling block.

The guilt comes from this.
I think about if people ask if I drink and I say yes it might give them the idea like, oh he drinks, its okay for me to drink too, and then they go overboard based off my actions and them thinking its okay.

Everytime I have a drink I just feel im living wong or something.
Its just guilt, like I could be doing more or something.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate

The Bible doesn't completely outlaw alcohol but it does condemn drunkenness. I gave it up.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,039.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The guilt comes from this.
I think about if people ask if I drink and I say yes it might give them the idea like, oh he drinks, its okay for me to drink too, and then they go overboard based off my actions and them thinking its okay.

Everytime I have a drink I just feel im living wong or something.
Its just guilt, like I could be doing more or something.

It's admirable to care about others, but why should you feel guilty for another person's behavior? Current evidence suggests that alcohol dependence is 50% due to genetics. Known risk factors are a family history of alcoholism, an abusive childhood, and the presence of other psychiatric conditions, like depression, anxiety, and bipolar disorder. Your moderate consumption of alcohol in an appropriate social setting will not be responsible if someone else has an alcohol problem.

Upvote 0