• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Alcohol

Status
Not open for further replies.

KTKat

Jan 21, 2008
Littleton
✟15,837.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'll admit, I have been known to self medicate with a few drinks. I'm getting better, but sometimes I can't help but have a few beers to calm my nerves (especially in social situations). I guess it's my easy way out (temporarily). I know it's not the smartest, nor the healthiest. Anyone else? Or does it make your anxiety worse?

Amhacajo

Turn worry into wonder...
Oct 25, 2006
Australia
✟24,091.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Before I became a Christian I was heading down a really bad path with the alcohol. I was the life of the party with a belly full of beer or alcohol, whatever it was. Still to this day I wish I could be more like the person I can be when I have had a few drinks. I had no problems interacting with anyone and felt full of confidence. No it isn't healthy and it isn't smart but I can understand from my perspective why anyone with anxiety might easily become dependent on alcohol. If there was some way to transplant that confidence that I had with alcohol into now, it would be great.
EDIT: I guess the reasons for my drinking were for the confidence it gave me which is why I did drink back then. Just to clarify that yes I used to use it as a crutch to help with my insecurities.

I went for years without have even a single drink until recently (say last 2 years) but I guess it is something that I have more of a handle on but have to be careful about as well. As my life revolves around Christian circles mainly, the majority of people that I associate with don't drink so therefore I don't as a regular thing either.

Upvote 0

Mrs. Luther073082

Commit to the LORD whatever you do - Proverbs 16:3
Jan 18, 2006
✟41,836.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I only a drink a few times per year. Usually it is when I am at a restaurant and just for fun. Anxiety has only caused me to resort to alcohol twice in the past year or so. The first time was was last year when I had started at my new school. I had a couple of beers. The second time was the other day when a roach was in the shower with me. I had a couple of margaritas.

Upvote 0

brothersean

May 31, 2007
Illinois
✟7,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'll admit, I have been known to self medicate with a few drinks. I'm getting better, but sometimes I can't help but have a few beers to calm my nerves (especially in social situations). I guess it's my easy way out (temporarily). I know it's not the smartest, nor the healthiest. Anyone else? Or does it make your anxiety worse?
Before I say anything else, I must first warn you that if you are on any sort of medication for the treatment of anxiety disorder, alcohol can be detrimental to your progress and must be avoided!!!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a beer, or two, or three, or however many is within your limits. Heck, I even drink beer. I love beer. :) I'm not an alcoholic, I just really enjoy beer.

But when alcohol becomes a "solution" to our stressors and our problems, there is where a problem is, or may creep up on you. This is the roots of alcoholism... problem-drinking.

It would do you a world of good to avoid alcohol all together while coping with anxiety disorder. When you have learned to change your mental patterns and lifestyle in a way that copes with the anxiety disorder and causes it to "disappear," then, alcohol in moderation is safe :)

Upvote 0

gracechick

Senior Veteran
Nov 25, 2005
Looking Up:D
✟6,474.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My parents & family rarely drink at all. & I think that is what encouraged me not to drink as well. As I got into my early 20's I was afraid to, bcause I could see myself too quickly using it to help me relax in many types of social situations.

If you look at some studies done most find that alcoholics as a whole have some type of anxiety disorder or I believe depression??? I recently read too that many are hypoglycemic & drinking helps modulate their blood sugar which makes them feel better physically as well as emotionally.

Upvote 0

Zecryphon

Aug 14, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
✟19,186.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I've done it too. It really enhances the effects of the Xanax. LOL If I take it too far and get drunk the next day is horrible I have more anxiety because I'm so dehydrated.

Upvote 0

TheMainException

Senior Veteran
Jun 13, 2004
In my universe
✟19,228.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Self medicating in this way is what let me know that I'd truly become an alcoholic. I'm not saying you are, this is just me, but it can come out of no where and into your vision suddenly. I just realized the other day, when i was so anxious that I had a couple shots of gin and realized how much better I felt, that all the other signs were finally adding up...the inability to say no to going out, not stopping when I knew I should have, thinking about it all the time...watch out for that...

I don't encourage self medicating because I've begun to see where it leads. my dad self medicates...and I know I could end up where he is...it's not pretty. It can quickly become a habit and quickly spiral downward. So watch yourself carefully...dont' make excuses and be strong....

Upvote 0
F

frenzy

I only a drink a few times per year. Usually it is when I am at a restaurant and just for fun. Anxiety has only caused me to resort to alcohol twice in the past year or so. The first time was was last year when I had started at my new school. I had a couple of beers. The second time was the other day when a roach was in the shower with me. I had a couple of margaritas.

Margarita's seem ironically appropriate for recovering from a roach incident :p.

I sometimes drink. It never usually makes my anxiety worse. Sometimes I use it for self-medicating and sometimes I just drink to drink.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.