Florida
✟17,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have posted on here a couple times about this. But I am moving this to a new thread to get some advice.

Ok so years ago before I was of age to drink I started drinking alcohol "which clearly was a sin because I was underage I understand that and I was drinking heavy." I ended up staying sober for almost 4 years and not drinking anything.

As of recent now being of age "23" I thought to myself.
I'm a responsible adult. I am going to try and have a beer or so.

My entire life I have been taught you are not a good christian if you drink or that it is just bad.
Clearly I know now after my own research moderation is the key. Drunkenness is a sin.

Here's where Im at and I would like some input/advice.

I recently tried to have a beer and then I had another.
For some reason although I was just having one I felt wrong and guilty.
So at that point I was like Im already sinning I might as well drink more. So I had a few more. "Only because I felt I was already doing wrong by having one"

Basically long story short. I would like to have a beer or two
"Because I legitimately enjoy the taste of beer and all the craft options" but even if I have one or two and do it normal and not get drunk or anything I feel like im doing something wrong and that it is hindering my personal relationship with him.

I just cant tell if its me overthinking and feeling guilty because I think its wrong because of how Ive been taught my whole life or if its a real conviction.
Sometimes I feel its more a conviction also because it seems I have been lead to several verses pertaining to my situation

Whatever is not of faith is sin

Romans 14:23
But whoever has doubts is condemned if they eat, because their eating is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin.

"So my question to this is, if I feel guilty and like im doing something wrong" Im sinning and would that send me to hell"
? (Because I would be living in sin, knowingly or something"

Also I worry I wouldnt be a good witness "Although I would be responsible and not drink around alcoholics, or the church etc and I would do in comfort of home or not around certain people" I feel like im doing something wrong.

Hebrews 12:1
12 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run the race marked out for us,

I feel like a lot of scriptures have pointed to me not drinking but I guess I just dont see the problem if im doing it normal.

I just want to honor God but I also like the taste of beer and I dont want to do anything wrong...
Like I said if I have one or two, I feel like im doing something wrong which brings me back to romans 14:23

I also think im getting convicted because I see a lot of my favorite pastors etc that dont drink and it makes me see how on fire they are and it makes me think, is it because they dont have alcohol in their lives etc

Currently I dont drink and have refrained until I get all of this stuff figured out. Maybe I will continue to not drink at all, but before I do decide to have a another beer or glass or wine I would like some info..

Please serious answers only, not just throwing answers and quick opinions.
Also because I have promoted being sober for so long, if people see me drinking I dont want them getting the wrong message.

I like the idea of having a beer, I genuinely enjoy beer and the taste but I just always feel Im doing something wrong and Im not living to my full potential or something.

I feel I have been directed to the verse several times where it talks about, whoever doesnt have faith to do is sinning.
And the verses circulating around that.
I feel maybe its wrong and if I did drink I would go to hell for disobeying/

Tolworth John

Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,559.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I like the idea of having a beer, I genuinely enjoy beer and the taste

We are commanded, Don't get drunk.

Then there is the problem of drinking and driving.

And as you say the problem of being a bad influence on others.

What is my answer.

I too enjoy a beer, but I have to drive so I'll only have one beer with a meal or one glass of wine, so I am sober when I drive my family home.

I will limit how much I drink so that I am not drunk.

You have to work out what you will do within the limits of not getting drunk and not driving while under the influence.

A simple rule of thumb is one drink is it.

Reactions: JoshFL
Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have posted on here a couple times about this. But I am moving this to a new thread to get some advice.

Ok so years ago before I was of age to drink I started drinking alcohol "which clearly was a sin because I was underage I understand that and I was drinking heavy." I ended up staying sober for almost 4 years and not drinking anything.

My entire life I have been taught you are not a good christian if you drink or that it is just bad.
Clearly I know now after my own research moderation is the key. Drunkenness is a sin.

****For some reason although I was just having one I felt wrong and guilty.
So at that point I was like Im already sinning I might as well drink more. So I had a few more. "Only because I felt I was already doing wrong by having one"****

"Because I legitimately enjoy the taste of beer and all the craft options" but even if I have one or two and do it normal and not get drunk or anything I feel like im doing something wrong and that it is hindering my personal relationship with him.

I just cant tell if its me overthinking and feeling guilty because I think its wrong because of how Ive been taught my whole life or if its a real conviction.
Sometimes I feel its more a conviction also because it seems I have been lead to several verses pertaining to my situation

But whoever has doubts is condemned if they eat, because their eating is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin.

"So my question to this is, if I feel guilty and like im doing something wrong" Im sinning and would that send me to hell"

Also I worry I wouldnt be a good witness "Although I would be responsible and not drink around alcoholics, or the church etc and I would do in comfort of home or not around certain people" I feel like im doing something wrong.

12 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run the race marked out for us,
I feel like a lot of scriptures have pointed to me not drinking but I guess I just dont see the problem if im doing it normal.

I just want to honor God but I also like the taste of beer and I dont want to do anything wrong...
Like I said if I have one or two, I feel like im doing something wrong which brings me back to romans 14:23

I also think im getting convicted because I see a lot of my favorite pastors etc that dont drink and it makes me see how on fire they are and it makes me think, is it because they dont have alcohol in their lives etc

Currently I dont drink and have refrained until I get all of this stuff figured out. Maybe I will continue to not drink at all, but before I do decide to have a another beer or glass or wine I would like some info..

Also because I have promoted being sober for so long, if people see me drinking I dont want them getting the wrong message.

I like the idea of having a beer, I genuinely enjoy beer and the taste but I just always feel Im doing something wrong and Im not living to my full potential or something.

I feel I have been directed to the verse several times where it talks about, whoever doesnt have faith to do is sinning.

If I'm reading your post correctly, you should abstain from alcohol/strong drink since you spent some of your tender years illegally drinking and being intoxicated and or flat out drunk.
You tested yourself again at age 23, you say I'm responsible adult, I done research and drinking be OK and it's sin to get drunk etc.
You then go and test yourself with one having ONE beer, then you talk to yourself
about how you already sin by having a beer, then you figure you might as well go on and have another and then another and so forth.
Your test show that you be prone to abuse alcohol.
You be high risk for becoming alcoholic.
It also show that you need to be discipled and be in need of biblical counseling/
mentoring.

Upvote 0

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
If you are being convicted, then having beer is sin. You say it is hindering your relationship with the Lord Jesus.

But... if you do have a drink and "sin," it is not going to send you to hell. Jesus came to die for us because of our sin nature. So one behavioural sin is not going to send us to hell. None of us will ever live without sin. That's why we need Jesus so desperately, to cover over our innate sin nature. To understand more of this, read Romans, mostly chapters 6-8.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟377,931.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
So at that point I was like Im already sinning I might as well drink more. So I had a few more. "Only because I felt I was already doing wrong by having one"
Were you with anyone? If so, who, and what/how much were they drinking?

I'm not going to speak against the verse, but the possible application of the verse. You see, false guilt was a major part of my life at one point, to the point where it was damaging. Tying myself in knots over going to Fellowship Event A with one ministry or Fellowship Event B at the same time with another ministry. I even felt guilt and fear over doing some things that the Bible commended. I'm not that bad anymore, but I have to nip false guilt in the bud whenever it comes up. That means taking what the Bible says over my feelings. If I'm not drunk, I'm not drunk. So regardless of how I feel, if I'm not making a former alcoholic or an underaged person stumble around me, I haven't sinned by having one beer.

How do you get "not even one drink" out of that?

Which other ones? You've only named two.

Well, good for them. But Jesus and the Apostles drank wine. Real wine. Not that you have to or that these pastors have to, but as good as they are, you have better examples who did drink.

Upvote 0

Aino

God's own
May 16, 2009
Finland
✟37,132.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree with Sketcher here. Wine is quite obviously present in the Bible and usually not in a bad way. If having any alcohol were a sin, then did Jesus commit a sin by turning water into wine? Quite obviously not! I think a lot of churches make a too big deal out of preaching sin and a holy lifestyle at the cost of grace and forgiveness which leads people to have this false guilt over issues that shouldn't be issues at all. I'm not saying yours is but somehow if making a big deal of someones choice of not drinking makes me think of it as a possible option. Really: you're free. You're a free person. Christ doesn't want you to make some rules for yourself (or take any as a given from someone else). Life in Christ begins and flourishes in freedom, freedom from both the power of sin and from the bondage of law. Yes, we as christians still sin, but sin is not drinking a beer or two once in a while and enjoying it. Sin lies somewhere deeper. All the best to you, I hope you'll find peace with yourself and your closest ones about this.

Reactions: JoshFL
Upvote 0

Angeldove97

I trust in You
Supporter
Jan 6, 2004
Indiana
✟121,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you're spending this much time and energy on if you should drink or not and if 1 or 2 beers is okay, then you may want to choose to not drink at all. Use that time to be with God, in prayer, instead :) Less stressful that way!

Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

First, it's not a salvation issue. You need to let that go. G-d is not so petty.

But, the fact is you now feel badly about it. Why trouble yourself? If you are having issues in your soul... then stop.

Some people have a pain in their arm when they play baseball. Nothing is actually hurt. Nothing is actually wrong. It's simply that when they engage in certain activities it hurts. Not enough to need medication or treatment, but enough it bothers them every time they play.

Stop playing. Play something else that doesn't hurt.

That's my advice. We all know that you have a beer or two isn't sin. We all know you are not going to be doomed to hell. We all know you are doing nothing that is actually wrong.

But, it bothers you. Why do this to yourself? Just stop. It's that simple.

Upvote 0

JoshFL

Oct 6, 2017
Florida
✟17,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
First, it's not a salvation issue. You need to let that go. G-d is not so petty.

But, the fact is you now feel badly about it. Why trouble yourself? If you are having issues in your soul... then stop.

Some people have a pain in their arm when they play baseball. Nothing is actually hurt. Nothing is actually wrong. It's simply that when they engage in certain activities it hurts. Not enough to need medication or treatment, but enough it bothers them every time they play.

Stop playing. Play something else that doesn't hurt.

That's my advice. We all know that you have a beer or two isn't sin. We all know you are not going to be doomed to hell. We all know you are doing nothing that is actually wrong.

But, it bothers you. Why do this to yourself? Just stop. It's that simple.
Yeah, i just like beer thats why I wanted to continue. Honoring the Lord is more important obviously. But thats why I "do this to myself" I legitimately enjoy beer but just feel guilty every time I drink.

Upvote 0

lastofall

Aug 6, 2016
Germany
✟30,785.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God." (1 Corinthians 6:9-10)

"Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God." (Galatians 5:19-21)

"And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit." (Ephesians 5:18)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums