Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

If you know drinking beer is not a sin, then it is not a sin.

Reactions: Sarah G
Upvote 0

JoshFL

Oct 6, 2017
Florida
✟17,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I guess the drinking in moderation is not a sin and I understand that as long as were not drunk etc.
Here's where I don't know I'm overthinking or being convicted.

If i decide to drink normal and not get drunk etc
what I wrestle with is people judging me and thinking im not a real christian or it ruining my witness.
Even if im not doing it in front of alcoholics, but just the idea people know im having a drink after years of sobriety.
I worry that If there are people that are not christians that dont understand that moderation is okay, that they will get the wrong message and that is "causing a brother to stumble" or a close friend that now sees if im having a drink its okay and maybe it will cause them to stumble or something???
THOUGHTS...

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is simple........Stop drinking......no more worrying. If you have some extra bottles of wine you have to get rid of.....I can take them off your hands.

Upvote 0

JoshFL

Oct 6, 2017
Florida
✟17,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Then I worry am I not fully surrendered to God.
Alcohol was clearly intoxicating back in biblical days but we didnt have the epidemic we have now so people look at it a little differently nowadays and if they see christians doing it I feel like they look at it weird. I feel because I worry about that stuff and if I drank anyways I would be sinning or something? Because maybe they dont have knowledge and because they dont know its causing "a weaker brother to stumble" or because they have a negative opinion I am doing something wrong? because im worried about it

Upvote 0

JoshFL

Oct 6, 2017
Florida
✟17,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
thats a good point! do you personally drink?
I just feel like im doing something wrong
i dont know if im overthinking or convicted.

I feel by me drinking im not living how i should or something and that it will throw people off or something.

Upvote 0

JoshFL

Oct 6, 2017
Florida
✟17,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I just feel im living wordly or something by having a drink or two? Although its not a sin as long as were not getting drunk my mind just thinks like am I being a bad example?

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟428,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I just feel im living wordly or something by having a drink or two? Although its not a sin as long as were not getting drunk my mind just thinks like am I being a bad example?
Speaking of examples, I do find it telling that Bible has Jesus making wine for other people.

I mean, is there a bigger endorsement than that?

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Are you thinking of someone specific that you are worried of being a bad example to? Maybe if you think someone is taking you having a couple of beers is a licence for them to drink then that would be an issue. If not then people might find you easier to relate to if you have the odd beer, I mean people you might want to be reaching out to at some point.

Upvote 0

Par5

Nov 5, 2017
LONDONDERRY
✟69,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I am sure most people would agree that drinking alcohol responsibly is a sensible thing to do and drinking responsibly can reduce the risk of future health problems associated with a high alcohol intake over the years. Alcohol makes some people aggressive at a certain point, some end up becoming alcoholics and this can cause huge problems in their lives for both them and their loved ones, but just having a beer or two is a pleasurable experience, so enjoy the experience. There is no need to go on a guilt trip, you are not trying to drink the brewery dry.
I know this thread is about alcohol and people have expressed the view that taking alcohol is living outside of their faith and I assume they say that because alcohol has the potential to disrupt peoples lives physically and socially and if that is the case then obesity is equally a problem. Just as too much alcohol is a problem, so is too much food. Too many burgers, fries and sugary drinks cause huge health problems and if overeating that leads to obesity is also considered living outside one's faith, then a lot of Christians are living outside of their faith.
Eating and drinking is a pleasurable experience, and although it is wise to not overindulge, a little bit of what you fancy never did anyone any harm. No "sin" involved. Cheers!

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Heres my question.
The bible says whatever is not faith is sin..
So If im a christian and although I know drinking a beer is not sin but i feel weird or guilty or feel its a bad witness than it is sin to me?
Yes.

And if I drink a beer anyways and i feel its bad or sin like the bible says cause maybe its not from faith does that mean im living in sin and ill go to hell ?
Yes and no. If you continue to sin, you are living in sin. And if you are doing it intentionally, then you graduate from sin up to transgression.

But the sin would NOT be the alcohol; rather it is the violation of your own faith.

But the good news is that sin is not what sends you to hell; it is unbelief. If you are still believing in and clinging to Messiah's death burial and resurrection for you, you will be saved.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If i decide to drink normal and not get drunk etc
what I wrestle with is people judging me and thinking im not a real christian or it ruining my witness.
Our Lord never cow-towed down to the hard nosed legalists of his day.

And what exactly is the witness that you are supposing to ruin? That you are a hard nosed anti-alcohol legalist as well?

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
thats a good point! do you personally drink?
I just feel like im doing something wrong
i dont know if im overthinking or convicted.

I feel by me drinking im not living how i should or something and that it will throw people off or something.
On occasion. Our congregation, when doing communion, offer both grape juice and wine and allow each person to take according to their own convictions. Saying this, I am not encouraging you to do anything beyond what you are convicted of.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
On occasion. Our congregation, when doing communion, offer both grape juice and wine and allow each person to take according to their own convictions.
I know many congregations that do that.

After all, we should not be serving alcoholic wine to those under the legal age.

Upvote 0