Florida
✟17,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
have posted on here a couple times about this. But I am moving this to a new thread to get some advice.

Ok so years ago before I was of age to drink I started drinking alcohol "which clearly was a sin because I was underage I understand that and I was drinking heavy." I ended up staying sober for almost 4 years and not drinking anything.

As of recent now being of age "23" I thought to myself.
I'm a responsible adult. I am going to try and have a beer or so.

My entire life I have been taught you are not a good christian if you drink or that it is just bad.
Clearly I know now after my own research moderation is the key. Drunkenness is a sin.

Here's where Im at and I would like some input/advice.

I recently tried to have a beer and then I had another.
For some reason although I was just having one I felt wrong and guilty.
So at that point I was like Im already sinning I might as well drink more. So I had a few more. "Only because I felt I was already doing wrong by having one"

Basically long story short. I would like to have a beer or two
"Because I legitimately enjoy the taste of beer and all the craft options" but even if I have one or two and do it normal and not get drunk or anything I feel like im doing something wrong and that it is hindering my personal relationship with him.

I just cant tell if its me overthinking and feeling guilty because I think its wrong because of how Ive been taught my whole life or if its a real conviction.
Sometimes I feel its more a conviction also because it seems I have been lead to several verses pertaining to my situation

Whatever is not of faith is sin

Romans 14:23
But whoever has doubts is condemned if they eat, because their eating is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin.

"So my question to this is, if I feel guilty and like im doing something wrong" Im sinning and would that send me to hell"
? (Because I would be living in sin, knowingly or something"

Also I worry I wouldnt be a good witness "Although I would be responsible and not drink around alcoholics, or the church etc and I would do in comfort of home or not around certain people" I feel like im doing something wrong.

Hebrews 12:1
12 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run the race marked out for us,

I feel like a lot of scriptures have pointed to me not drinking but I guess I just dont see the problem if im doing it normal.

I just want to honor God but I also like the taste of beer and I dont want to do anything wrong...
Like I said if I have one or two, I feel like im doing something wrong which brings me back to romans 14:23

I also think im getting convicted because I see a lot of my favorite pastors etc that dont drink and it makes me see how on fire they are and it makes me think, is it because they dont have alcohol in their lives etc

Currently I dont drink and have refrained until I get all of this stuff figured out. Maybe I will continue to not drink at all, but before I do decide to have a another beer or glass or wine I would like some info..

Please serious answers only, not just throwing answers and quick opinions.
Also because I have promoted being sober for so long, if people see me drinking I dont want them getting the wrong message.

I like the idea of having a beer, I genuinely enjoy beer and the taste but I just always feel Im doing something wrong and Im not living to my full potential or something.

I feel I have been directed to the verse several times where it talks about, whoever doesnt have faith to do is sinning.
And the verses circulating around that.
I feel maybe its wrong and if I did drink I would go to hell for disobeying/

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You feel this way and you are right. You cant make it to heaven feeling the way you do. Why is it so hard to just not drink? at least until you stop feeling that is it wrong.

It is like you are hitting yourself on the thumb with a hammer.....and even though you feel that you should stop....to stop the pain....you still need others to encourage you to stop as well before you will agree to stop hurting yourself....

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,256,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I just feel guilty even when I have one or two.

If you grew up around people that said it's wrong, of course you would feel that way.

Upvote 0

JoshFL

Oct 6, 2017
Florida
✟17,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you grew up around people that said it's wrong, of course you would feel that way.
I feel like its also because alcohol is such a "worldly" issue I feel tugged to not participate. but I also like beer and its taste so I just want to honor the lord and not sin

Upvote 0

JoshFL

Oct 6, 2017
Florida
✟17,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your belief that is it wrong is true for you, until you genuinely turn away from that belief. When you do, you will no longer feel anything when you do it.
But isnt turning away from that belief wrong? What if its a conviction from the holy spirit. then it would be wrong to ignore that and drink.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But isnt turning away from that belief wrong? What if its a conviction from the holy spirit. then it would be wrong to ignore that and drink.
Again, you are correct. It is wrong....for you. It is a conviction of the Spirit and it should not be ignored. This, however, does not mean that drinking is wrong in general, or that it is a sin for others to do so.

When you use to drink in the past....was it ever to a state of drunkenness?

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You have two problems. One is your conscience. One is the possibility of drunkenness.

To drink one or two beers is not a sin. As long as you think it is, you have a weaker conscience and should not violate it.

Drunkenness IS a sin. If you would go on to drink more than a couple, for whatever reason, because you've had one or two, then drinking is always going to end up being sinful for you. If that is the case, there is no reason to drink at all and you should absolutely avoid it.

The other trick is to be ABSOLUTELY HONEST with yourself about your tendencies. If you decide that drinking one or two won't lead to you drinking more, then you need to be sure you aren't just telling yourself what you want to hear.

Drinking a little alcohol isn't a sin. But it's not required either. So if it is likely to lead to trouble, it's best left alone. This is why the answer depends on the person.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It doesnt matter if you drink a little alcohol or a lot, whether you stay sober or stay drunk.....In the flesh no man can please God. Those that are lead by the spirit of God, these are the Sons of God. Them that walk not after the flesh.....but after the spirit. If you feel that spirit is telling you not to drink....I would follow it's leading.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,256,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat

If it were a conviction of the Holy Spirit, why would you need the opinion of others to justify it? You would just know it is God's will for you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟753,940.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
As you said yourself, the key word is moderation - in everything. People can become slaves to anything if they let it get out of control. The business of "idol worship" is closely related to this topic.

The most obvious examples are the addictive substances and habits - drugs, alcohol, smoking, gambling etc.

But we can make an idol of other things too - our family, job / career, social position, money, the fancy car in the garage, sport, the gym (some people just about live there), our appearance or dissatisfaction with our appearance (anorexia nervosa), food (gluttony), our stamp collection - anything.

We can misuse anything - we can use a knife to cut things, or stab people. We can use a car for transport, or we can run it into a crowd. We can use the internet to communicate, and we can use it to bully other people.

So the things you need to ask yourself are -

1. Is drinking beer against your conscience?
2. If not, are you drinking in moderation?
3. Are you being what we Catholics would call being "scrupulous" about it (ie. making a mountain out of a molehill? Some people are petrified of their sins, which in their case happens to be trivial or non-existent.

From what I've read, you've got concerns about lapsing into your behaviour when you started as a heavy, underage, drinker.

And you're the only one who knows if you can control it, some years later.

Christ drank wine. In his very fist miracle, He created wine at a wedding, very good wine at that, and a lot of it - gallons of the stuff. His enemies accused Him of being a "glutton and wine bibber" (which means he drank wine, and they didn't). He didn't drink "Unfermented Grape Juice". In doing so, He declared there was nothing wrong with drinking wine, provided it was done in moderation, wasn't done to the point of drunkenness, and the most difficult point, didn't tempt someone who was a known or unknown alcoholic.

It's your call. But it has to sit easy on your conscience.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As you said yourself, the key word is moderation - in everything.
People define "moderation" differently.

A past pastor of mine defined "moderation" as "less than habitual;" and "habitual" as "if you ever did it more than once in your lifetime."

Upvote 0