Alcohol #2 - Be Ye Separate - Restricted.

aggie03

Veritas Vos Liberabit
Jun 13, 2002
Columbus, TX
Visit site
✟19,529.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is a restricted question. The only people who are allowed to post in this thread are those who believe that it is sinful to drink alcohol. The reason being is that this is a specific question for those people. Anyone who argues about alcohol being sinful or not: I will have your post removed by a moderator. There is a separate thread in the forum for the discussion about alcohol.

So on to the question:

How do you handle situations where you are around people who drink? There are places in the Scriptures where we are told be different, to be separate and the like. Will you go to a bar? Will you go to a bachelor's party of a friend where the sitation isn't much different than a bar? Will you go to wedding receptions where there is alcohol?

The spectrum of this question is very broad, but I look forward to answers that can help me decide how I ought to be acting. As in the other thread, I will warn all now that I will be supporting the notion that one shouldn't go to bars or "wild parties" or wedding receptions. As stated in the other thread, I learn better in a discussion when I pick a side and try to support it. Thank you all for your help.

JDIBe

Oct 3, 2006
Midland, TX
✟9,039.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Not sure if I qualify, as I think it depends on the purpose for drinking (recreational) and the situation, but here is what I can offer....

The simplest way to take care of it is to simply say, "No thank you. I don't drink." Honest and straightforward. That's it. Most people will respect you for it.

Now as far as putting yourself in situations like bars, etc., it is best if you stay away from those types of places anyway. Usually there are a lot of other things going on that you certainly don't need to be around.

Besides, it has been my experience that people who like to drink are usually boring. When they get together all they want to do is sit around, talk, and well.....drink. The alcohol seems to be the center of the activity.

Upvote 0

- DRA -

Jan 21, 2004
Texas
✟4,218.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How do you handle situations where you are around people who drink?

To me, there is not a simple answer to this question. For instance, many restaurants have bars. I don't spend time at the bar, nor order non-alcoholic-look-alike-alcholol drinks to give others the impression that I am a drinker. If the dining area is sufficiently separated from the drinking area, then I will dine there. If not, then I go elsewhere.

Generally speaking, I try to avoid being too close to drinking. However, I have been surprised on occasion. A dinner sponsored by work. A dinner or party by co-workers. Generally speaking once again, both my wife and I try to get a feel up front for what to expect at the event. For instance, if a dinner is preceded by a "happy hour," we get there just in time for the dinner. However, even this approach brought problems on one occasion. A co-worker who had indulged in excess forcefully grabbed my arm and insisted that my wife was going to dance with him ... even though nobody was dancing. I politely declined the offer on her behalf and allowed him to forcefully hold my arm for several tense minutes without making a scene. Several days later, when we got back to work, we had a heart-to-heart discussion about the consequences of certain behavior -- should it ever occur again.

In essence, I have found that the closer you get to sin, the greater likelihood you are to be influenced or impacted in some way by bad company ... "Do not be deceived: Bad company ruins good morals." (1 Cor. 15:33 - ESV)

There are places in the Scriptures where we are told be different, to be separate and the like.

:amen:

Will you go to a bar?

Possibly ... among other things, I am a medic. Although I only infrequently answer emergency calls outside the work environment, I would respond to a bar if called. Not to drink. Not to socialize. But to act as an emergency responder. Other than for an emergency response, I can't think of a good reason to go to a bar.

Will you go to a bachelor's party of a friend where the sitation isn't much different than a bar?

I suspect that a bachelor's party that serves alchohol would have a high probability of having other problems i.e. adult entertainment. Needless to say, I believe such situations should be avoided like the plague.

Believe it or not, when my oldest son got married, ole dad threw the bachelor party. No booze. But, we did have some female entertainment. My wife made a halter top and skirt for our miniature dachsund. We have a picture of her sitting on my son's lap.

Will you go to wedding receptions where there is alcohol?

Okay, here goes. If my wife and I know or have reason to strongly suspect that some serious drinking is going to accompany the reception, we would not go. We would go the wedding, but excuse ourselves without going to the reception. On the other hand, if we go to a wedding and don't have a good knowledge of what may happen at the reception i.e. drinking, dancing, etc, we may go to the reception, and then excuse ourselves and leave if the situation warrants it.

If asked, after trying various techniques, I have found sincere honesty to be the best approach -- I don't drink and am uncomfortable being around those that do, plus I don't believe it pleases the Lord. While I am sure that such an answer wouldn't please everyone, I have been told by those that inquired that they respected my decision.

As a side note: although my primary reason to not drink is spiritual, there are other reasons: foremost, my father was an alcoholic. With what I have seen firsthand what that does to a family, plus my studies in safety and health ... well, my dislike and displeasure continues to grow as I consider alcohol and how it impacts a person and affects their behavior.

Upvote 0

AJB4

Senior Veteran
Sep 21, 2006
New Zealand
✟11,180.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
This was the post I made in the "Drinking OK for Christians?" Poll:

A) Although the Bible condemns drunkenness, not necessarily alcohol in itself, if a Christian regularly buys alcohol, and keeps it in his fridge, the odds are he's going to console him/herself with alcohol at a difficult time. It's better to not to even give yourself the option of drunkenness, and buying alcohol to drink regularly (even with the intention of only drinking moderately), only deliberately sets yourself up to sin and get drunk, and to even surround yourself with things that will tempt you is a sin, if I remember correctly.

B) It gives the appearance of evil, another sin detailed in the Bible. If a fellow Christian comes over and sees alcohol in your fridge, it gives the appearance that you do get drunk.

C) Being a Christian is about being different. Romans 12:2 says not to be conformed to the world, but transformed by the renewal of the mind. Drinking, and keeping alcohol regularly for easy access, Friday-night parties etc. are worldly traditions, all leading to drunkenness, the sin, and if a non-believer asks you and says 'Do you drink?', if you say 'yes', then he would never know you were any different to him (ie. that you were a Christian), but if you say 'no, I don't drink', then he's going to think 'Oh, he must be a Christian. He's different', and if you refused to attend a work function or whatever because there was alcohol and drunkenness there (also temptation, appearance of evil etc.) then you would seem even more Christian-like and even more of an example then you would've if you'd just said that you didn't drink.

Also, what's this 'I can drink because Jesus drank' notion all about? Maybe Jesus could freely drink wine in moderation back then and not be tempted by drunkenness or have the appearance of evil because purposefully getting drunk 'just for fun' was maybe not a popular tradition back in those times. Times have changed, and so has the traditions of the world in which we are to avoid, so to say 'I can drink just because Jesus drank' maybe isn't really an excuse.

I think alcohol consumption is a sin, and to avoid it, I'd simply say no (I'm too young to drink legally right now anyway). I wouldn't normally roll with many people who would drink anyway. I'd probably mainly like to hang out with my family and Church of Christ friends, who I know will be a good Christian influence:D

Upvote 0

Koey

Veteran
Apr 25, 2004
Australia
Visit site
✟9,141.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I would say that it is a good idea to avoid that which might make you sin.

The bible does say that if your eye causes you to sin then pluck it out....
That's why I avoid eating altogether these days, lest I engage in the sin of gluttony. I also avoid looking at women even when they talk to me, just in case I lust. I also avoid taking a salary for my work, just in case I fall into a root of all evil. ...not.

Upvote 0

Frame1520

Dec 29, 2005
Cincinnati
Visit site
✟15,854.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
That's why I avoid eating altogether these days, lest I engage in the sin of gluttony. I also avoid looking at women even when they talk to me, just in case I lust. I also avoid taking a salary for my work, just in case I fall into a root of all evil. ...not.
Man, maybe I'm taking this the wrong way, but that was an awfully harsh response. I'm sorry if I offended you, but geez, was that a necessary response?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Splayd

Just some guy
Apr 19, 2006
✟8,071.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree with damo and Koey that drinking alcohol isn't a sin in and of itself. (Just as an observation - we're all Aussies. I wonder if there's some cultural/traditional issues here either way??)

I'm also quick to note that drinking alcohol is basically a sin for me though as I have a history with addiction. From that perspective I appreciate that we typically don't drink, while still accepting that some of my brothers and sisters do.

Out of respect for the OP though - we really should refrain from further comment in this particular thread.

Peace

Upvote 0

Koey

Veteran
Apr 25, 2004
Australia
Visit site
✟9,141.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Man, maybe I'm taking this the wrong way, but that was an awfully harsh response. I'm sorry if I offended you, but geez, was that a necessary response?
My profoundest apologies for the offense. However, it is always a good retort if you can't answer somebody's argument to point out a personal flaw. No, sorry, but that is not a logical argument is it?

Upvote 0