Alan Colmes's Passing and a Lesson For The Forum

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
Fox news liberal commentator Alan Colmes passed away today.

One of his best friends was right wing commentator Sean Hannity.
Sean .

Seans comments should be a lesson to those who have let the current election consume on various levels. Sean mentioned the vitriol from some quarters and hatred displayed by some after the recent election.

In a statement this morning, Hannity called Alan Colmes "one of life's most decent, kind and wonderful people you'd ever want to meet."

"When Alan and I started 'Hannity & Colmes,' there wasn't a day that went by where we didn't say we were the two most fortunate men in all of television," said Hannity.

Despite their political differences, Hannity said the two "forged a deep friendship" over the years.

"Alan, in the midst of great sickness and illness, showed the single greatest amount of courage I've ever seen," he said.

"We had a deep, abiding friendship. It was never personal when we disagreed," said Hannity, saying it feels like a "part of me left today."

Hannity said there is a lot of "infighting" in television, but "everybody" in the Fox News office loved and respected Colmes.

"The world is a little darker place today because a really great human being left us," he added.

Sean called Colmes one of the funniest people he ever met, noting that he started his career in stand-up comedy.

"I want people to know: this was a good man with a great, huge heart. ... I have a hole in my heart today."

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
RIP Mr Colmes.

Those who participate in shameful hyperpartisan hackery should discipline themselves to look at all sides of the issues they are discussing and hold likeminded people to higher standards than they do their rivals. Decent people do that.

Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,586,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Amen. I saw this today and thought the same thing. Differences in honest opinion are fine. Partisan poison should be absolutely forbidden in a faith forum. It removes all humanity from one another. I have had it up to my eyeballs with it. RIP Mr. Colmes.

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
Amen. I saw this today and thought the same thing. Differences in honest opinion are fine. Partisan poison should be absolutely forbidden in a faith forum. It removes all humanity from one another. I have had it up to my eyeballs with it. RIP Mr. Colmes.

I always liked Alan Colmes even though I wanted to strangle him sometimes. Lol

There is a guy I know from the cigar store. I will call him Paul the Union guy. Left wing as they come. We would pound him in debates and he would give it back to us. But we never took it as a personal thing. Sometimes it got heated but it always blew over.

I have voted for a lot of candidates but when my candidate lost I moved on. We can't let it consume us to the point we want to destroy the nation.

Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,586,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Exactly. To do anything else is sick imo. My husband and I are a very mixed bag. We are independents that give credit where credit is due. Politics are just not that binary. If they are, as we can see just on itty bitty CF, it turns into verbal gang wars. And that is bigotry in itself. How people cannot see the dehumanizing factor of it all and the hypocrisy is beyond me. I do hope we take this lesson from Mr. Colmes sad passing and the friendships he has had even with those he disagreed with and learn something from it.

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
Alan Colmes was as wrong as wrong could get 99.999% of the time, but nobody who knew him ever had a bad thing to say about him as a person. It shows we can disagree without name calling and hatred.

Exactly. I remember when President Obama was elected I was listening to Bill O'Reilly actually and Bill was adamant that WE need to give him a chance and stand behind him.

I thought the same thing, he talked about hope and change and I remember saying to myself 'I hope it works out"

I have bashed politicians as much as the next but I never hated someone because of their politics.

Growing up in a large family and an Irish Catholic neighborhood, we breathed politics. We fought tooth and nail, but we always shared beers together.

Upvote 0