• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Alabama governor signs restrictive abortion bill into law as ACLU vows to sue

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by No Username Found, May 15, 2019 at 6:14 PM.

Tags:
  1. No Username Found

No Username Found Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,158
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Well, the bill is now Alabama law. ACLU plans to sue. My prediction is that it will wind up in the supreme court giving the opportunity to overturn Roe V. Wade. Thoughts?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Steve Petersen

Steve Petersen Senior Veteran

+3,187
    Deist
    US-Libertarian
    Why would SCOTUS take up this matter? It has been ruled on several times. SCOTUS has not reversed itself on Roe v. Wade.

3. mark kennedy

mark kennedy Natura non facit saltum Supporter

+7,023
    Calvinist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    It's going into the courts, that seems to be the whole point. The Federal Courts will follow precedence and the only body who can reverse it is the Supreme Court. I don't like the whole mess but with a conservative majority it's the best opportunity for prolife in decades.

4. Tanj

Tanj Redefined comfortable middle class

+2,626
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    Given the strength of stare decisis, I predict it will get shot down like all the other futile wastes of Alabama tax monies, and get as close to the supreme court as your average plague infected rodent.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. PreviouslySeeking...

PreviouslySeeking... Well-Known Member

+608
    United States
    Deist
    Married
    I don't think this will really go anywhere or change anything. Alabama will spend lots of money it can't afford to defend its unconstitutional law. Lower courts will declare it unconstitutional. SCOTUS will refuse to hear it. Alabama will be told to go home.

Other laws will result in cases that might have a better chance of getting heard by SCOTUS.

BTW, even if SCOTUS overturned Roe Vs Wade - we aren't going to end up with an abortion ban in the US. It would turn the matter back over to the states.

Plenty of states wouldn't dream of banning abortion, like mine - Washington. And states that ban abortion would turn themselves into economic pariahs. Their growth would stagnate. Enjoy the industry they have because no one will move a business there and many organizations will ban travel there.

People don't think these things through.

6. No Username Found

+2,158
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Why would SCOTUS take up this matter? Because I believe that is what the plan was from the beginning. It wasn't until Trump filled the Supreme Court with conservative Judges that the states have been bold enough to push these anti-abortion laws. I believe the reason was to create an issue that would be brought to the Supreme Court to ultimately have Roe V. Wade repealed. In my humble prediction, the ACLU will sue. Perhaps regardless of the decision made by the lower courts, it will be appealed to the Supreme Court in hope that it will not only stand, but Roe V. Wade will be repealed. Those are my thoughts.

7. No Username Found

+2,158
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Exactly!

8. No Username Found

+2,158
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I don't think that will happen at all. Like the states who legalized marijuana, I predict the only outcome is that people would just have their abortions done out of state. A far cry from the economic situations you are predicting.

9. CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN .

+2,234
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    US-Others
    Yes , but what money will Alabama have to take care of the poor kids, that are born. Kids that are born need money to live. I get the impression that its okay for the poor ,unloved kids . To live in cages. As long as they are born. Who really cares. I'm not criticizing you. Because I get what you're saying.

10. 1000Flames

1000Flames Gloria Perpetua

+293
    United States
    Atheist
    Private
    US-Others
    Good to see all the outrage about "activist judges" a few months ago by conservatives was just fake news. It's A-OK for the federal Supreme Court when its "your guys." Really glad that conservatives have stopped pretending like they cared about values and principles. They're more honest than before and the rest of us don't have to guess whether they were pretending or not. :oldthumbsup:

11. bekkilyn

bekkilyn Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,796
    United States
    United Methodist
    Celibate
    US-Others
    Born kids don't matter. They become "someone else's" problem at that point. but you're right, where is all the outrage from the so-called pro-life crowd about all the immigrant kids kept in concentration camps at our borders after having been viciously separated from their parents? Where is their "right to life"?

12. jgarden

jgarden Senior Veteran

+1,474
    Methodist

International studies have shown that legislation has never been an effective means of limiting abortion - how many young women sentenced to 99 year terms will it take before states like Alabama are forced to repeal their legislation?

13. PreviouslySeeking...

+608
    United States
    Deist
    Married
    The wealthy people will go out of state. The poor ones will be stuck. And you don't get it, I'm pro-choice & I've never had an abortion, but stuff like this galvanizes people. Alabama is saying that a girl or a woman is valued less than a fetus that isn't even guaranteed to survive gestation and birth. Less than. Not equal to or whatever you think. Less than. She is hostage to the contents of her uterus.

That concerns everyone who isn't the most ardent pro-lifer. There will be consequences past what these politicians thought of.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • List
  14. No Username Found

+2,158
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I predict the same number of people are going to leave Alabama because of their abortion laws as the number of Americans who actually renounced their us citizenship because trump was elected. Which is probably a handful. I really dont think the majority of people actually give two donuts about the abortion laws in their state or care enough about it to cut all ties to move to another state. My prediction is that their will be a lot of whining and complaining, perhaps a few protests, and that will be the end of it.

15. PreviouslySeeking...

+608
    United States
    Deist
    Married
    You misunderstood. I wasn't saying people will move out of Alabama. Wealthy people will go-to another state to have abortions and go back home. Poor people won't. People won't move because they don't care, or the they support the law or they can't afford to.

But people will second guess moving there. National businesses won't open large operations there. States like mine will pass resolutions allowing no state travel to the state and the like. That is what I meant by "economic pariah".

You are right - a lot of people don't care about abortion. But businesses, state governments, and voluntary organizations have to care about PR and no one has to stretch the truth about this law - it is bad news.

16. GoldenBoy89

GoldenBoy89 We're Still Here

+13,952
    Humanist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Alabama logic:

Banning guns won't solve the problem of mass shootings and only turns law abiding citizens into criminals.

Banning abortions to the point that doctors could serve a life sentence for providing one.... Makes perfect sense!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. GoldenBoy89

GoldenBoy89 We're Still Here

+13,952
    Humanist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Also, this is a bit of a contradiction.

Apparently some lives are more precious and sacred gifts than others.

18. TLK Valentine

TLK Valentine You will be who you will be. We are our choices.

+15,659
    Agnostic
    Single
    SCOTUS might be the last bastion of the Constitution, but it's far from the only one. If this nonsense doesn't get shot down long before it gets to The Nine, I'll be unpleasantly surprised.

19. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+19,191
    Anglican
    Married
    The Supreme Court has no obligation to do so, that's true, but with a half a dozen states passing similar bills into law lately and all of them winding up in lower courts thanks to the ACLU or Planned Parenthood, there is at least a good chance of it.

20. TLK Valentine

TLK Valentine You will be who you will be. We are our choices.

+15,659
    Agnostic
    Single
    Assuming they don't all get shot down by the lower courts for being blatant and transparent attempts to violate Roe v Wade... tell me, which federal court isn't going to see this coming?