Alabama Governor blaming unvaccinated for Covid Spike

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Alabama governor on rising COVID-19 cases: 'Time to start blaming the unvaccinated folks'

Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey (R) declared that it's “time to start blaming the unvaccinated” for the surge in coronavirus infections in her state.

The governor, visibly exasperated while discussing the need to get a COVID-19 vaccination shot, was asked by local reporters Thursday what more can be done to boost vaccination rates.

“I don’t know, you tell me!” Ivey said. “Folks supposed to have common sense.”

“But it's time to start blaming the unvaccinated folks, not the regular folks. It’s the unvaccinated folks that are letting us down,” she continued.

Looks like at least a few in the GOP are wising up...

Thoughts?

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Well it’s taken them over a year and half but it’s about time Republicans start getting serious about Covid. Let’s hope their base follows along with the change in attitude.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,089,385.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Smart woman.

I have heard when Pfizer is approved permanently that the government can require shots--just as schools can, etc. Restaurants require hepatitis shots.

Hurry up FDA! Let's mandate vaccines ASAP.

Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,830.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Elliewaves

Untouchable internet saint
Dec 18, 2011
✟100,328.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
If Alabama is saying it, you know things are getting bad.

I mean I hope people listen because all that will come is preventable, but it's hard to put the genie back in the bottle when you and your friends have convinced your followers to NOT get the vaccine as the right choice to own libs. The 180 this week by some might just be too little too late. It's sad.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Smart woman.

I have heard when Pfizer is approved permanently that the government can require shots--just as schools can, etc. Restaurants require hepatitis shots.

Hurry up FDA! Let's mandate vaccines ASAP.
I didn't know this - I hope it's real soon, I'll be happy when they mandate vaccines for all the people who can have them.

• Friendly
Reactions: Fantine
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,089,385.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It's a poor choice of words for any leader to use. While she may be right, "blaming" people instead of encouraging them to get vaccinated is poor leadership IMO.
We have a state legislator (Republican) who is also the director of an emergency room at one of the local hospitals. He has been on the media strongly encouraging people to get vaccinated, but he always goes: "I respect people's choices not to get vaccinated."

I feel sick. Pandering to the unvacciated base to get votes (since the overwhelming majority of unvaccinated are Republican). He sees these people whose choices he "respects?" getting carted off to ICU's and carried out in body bags. He sees his hospital being overwhelmed--probably forcing him and his stressed out staff to work long over time hours and feeling heartbroken as younger and younger people are admitted.

He "respects" their choices? Why doesn't he tell the truth? "I respect your choice to risk your life. I respect your choice to force me and my employees to work 18 hour days trying to save your lives, sometimes unsuccessfully."

Is that how he feels? Really?

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's a poor choice of words for any leader to use. While she may be right, "blaming" people instead of encouraging them to get vaccinated is poor leadership IMO.
It’s painfully obvious that the unvaccinated are to blame for the latest surge and they do not respond to facts or encouragement.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
It’s painfully obvious that the unvaccinated are to blame for the latest surge and they do not respond to facts or encouragement.

And when they finally realize the consequences of that choice, it may already be too late:

On Monday, a doctor in a Birmingham, Alabama, hospital, Brytney Cobia, said that all but one of her Covid patients at Grandview medical center didn’t receive the vaccine, with the one who had expected to make a full recovery after receiving oxygen, she told the Birmingham News. Several others are dying.

“I’m admitting young, healthy people to the hospital with very serious Covid infections,” wrote Cobia in a Facebook post on Sunday.

“One of the last things they do before they’re intubated is beg me for the vaccine. I hold their hand and tell them that I’m sorry, but it’s too late,” she added, referring to patients who have to be put on a ventilator.

‘It’s too late’: US doctor says dying patients begging for Covid vaccine

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

She may be wising up, but what kind of Republican would she be if she didn't point fingers and assign blame?

Upvote 0

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟151,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, the coalition on the right seems to need someone to blame for the resurgence. I reckon truthful rhetoric may help. Though the truth hurts, they brought it on themselves by politicizing the outbreak.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Well, the coalition on the right seems to need someone to blame for the resurgence. I reckon truthful rhetoric may help. Though the truth hurts, they brought it on themselves by politicizing the outbreak.

Apparently unaware that death is bipartisan.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,205,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Only thing I disagree with is her statement implying that "it's now time to start blaming"... it was time the moment supply of the vaccine exceeded demand.

My state has so many excess doses that it started donating them...literally every pharmacy has been offering walk-in appointments for months, and I was at a winery last weekend, where they actually had people doing the "free glass for a vaccine" deal where if someone hadn't gotten vaccinated yet, they'd hook you up with a free glass of wine for doing so.

The people who haven't gotten it yet at this point, are actively refusing it. 3 months ago, there may have been an excuse for not getting around to it yet...but that's not the case anymore.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,205,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Apparently unaware that death is bipartisan.

It's a funny pic, but I don't think it accurately tells the tale of the groups involved in vaccine refusal at this current juncture.

"Snaggletooth hillbilly wearing the maga hat" may be the low-hanging fruit to make this picture of...but there are other groups that are lagging in vaccination rates just as much as the die-hard Trumpers, and a few of the groups lean heavily to the democratic side of the political fence.

upload_2021-7-24_19-51-59.png

upload_2021-7-24_19-52-46.png

Unless all of the people in the Black and 18-29 demographics are just a bunch of Trump Loving Republicans... then there's additional aspects we need to be looking into in order to get more people vaccinated.

One of my brothers is in that latter demographic (in his mid-20's), he's a "bleeding heart lib" on almost every social issue that exists, but he won't get vaccinated despite my best efforts to talk sense into him. "Its not that dangerous for people my age" and "I don't want to deal with the side effects after the second shot" are the most common replies I get from him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
It's a funny pic, but I don't think it accurately tells the tale of the groups involved in vaccine refusal at this current juncture.

"Snaggletooth hillbilly wearing the maga hat" may be the low-hanging fruit to make this picture of...but there are other groups that are lagging in vaccination rates just as much as the die-hard Trumpers, and a few of the groups lean heavily to the democratic side of the political fence.

View attachment 302969

View attachment 302970

Unless all of the people in the Black and 18-29 demographics are just a bunch of Trump Loving Republicans... then there's additional aspects we need to be looking into in order to get more people vaccinated.

One of my brothers is in that latter demographic (in his mid-20's), he's a "bleeding heart lib" on almost every social issue that exists, but he won't get vaccinated despite my best efforts to talk sense into him. "Its not that dangerous for people my age" and "I don't want to deal with the side effects after the second shot" are the most common replies I get from him.

I guess that just goes to show that political cartoons don't tell the whole story -- gosh, whoda thunk?

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,205,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I guess that just goes to show that political cartoons don't tell the whole story -- gosh, whoda thunk?

...but isn't the whole point of a political cartoon to make a point and highlight some sort of truth via comedy or satire?

If not, then it's just a cheap shot at ones political rivals, at which, the only point for making it would be to antagonize the other side, and not make an astute point of some sort.

In which case, the person who made the cartoon isn't really taking the virus all that seriously, and is just using it as political fodder.

If the illustrator who made that cartoon did so using an unflattering caricature of one of the other vaccine refusing groups I mentioned, there would likely be outrage.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
...but isn't the whole point of a political cartoon to make a point and highlight some sort of truth via comedy or satire?

If not, then it's just a cheap shot at ones political rivals, at which, the only point for making it would be to antagonize the other side, and not make an astute point of some sort.

A political cartoon can do either or both.

In which case, the person who made the cartoon isn't really taking the virus all that seriously, and is just using it as political fodder.

And shame on him/her for squandering the awesome power and responsibility that comes with wielding the cartoonist's pen

If the illustrator who made that cartoon did so using an unflattering caricature of one of the other vaccine refusing groups I mentioned, there would likely be outrage.

True -- but also irrelevant.

Upvote 0