1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Alabama folks

Discussion in 'United States Regional Forum' started by AlabamaMan, Nov 22, 2003.

1. AlabamaMan

AlabamaMan A writer changing the world one word at a time.

+515
    Mexico
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    Hey everybody...what part of Alabama are you from?

I am from northwest Alabama, Franklin county!

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. rjohnsonbfw

rjohnsonbfw Member

+2
    Protestant
    I'm from Franklin county too, Russellville to be specific. Really makes it a small world...

3. AlabamaMan

+515
    Mexico
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    I hear that, small for sure.

4. nicodemus

nicodemus Orthodox Christian

+61
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    Birmingham. Hope y'all don't mind a city boy in here :D

5. dominusvobiscum

dominusvobiscum New Member

+0
    Catholic
    Hi.....From just north of Birmingham

6. Aimee03

Aimee03 Member

+7
    Pentecostal
    Single
    US-Republican
    I'm from walker county!

7. nicodemus

+61
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    Glad to see Alabamians starting to show up! :D

8. FR0G

FR0G ~

+114
    Seeker
    US-Democrat
    :wave: I'm not from Alabama, but my grandmother is in Florence. What county is that? ^_^

9. AlabamaMan

+515
    Mexico
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    I think that is Lauderdale county. I am near there!

10. LadySaint

LadySaint God is Hope

+52
    Baptist
    Married
    I'm from Morgan county.

11. AlabamaMan

+515
    Mexico
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    GREAT! More Alabamians!!!

12. oncewaslost

oncewaslost owl

+129
    Calvinist
    Single
    i go to school in birmingham :)

13. Sunbeam

Sunbeam Member

+8
    Christian
    What's Alabama like compared to south New Jersey near PHilly where I am now?

Does anyone know the difference?

14. nicodemus

+61
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    Well, I'm sure it is a lot warmer and less snowy for one :D

Pace of life in Alabama is much more laid back and relaxed, even in Birmingham (with a population of just under a million) than where you are. I've been to Philly and enjoyed myself quite a bit.

Alabama as a whole is hard to describe. In the northeast it is quite hilly/mountainous, there are plains in the south and we have beaches. It has a little bit of everything really.

What part of North Alabama are you going to move to?

15. nicodemus

+61
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    Do you go to Samford, Birmingham-Southern, UAB, etc.?

16. LisaLou

LisaLou hellomynameisInigoMontoya

+1
    Christian
    Hey Y'all!!
    This is awesome.. Glad to post with some fellow Alabamians. Well, I've lived all over Alabama..

Birth-18 Phenix City
    18-21 (for College- Montevallo)
    21-26 Talladega
    *Birmingham has a special place in my heart.. my church is there and lots of friends there..

For the past 2 years, I've been in Washington, D.C. for graduate school. It just happened to be the only place I could study in my field... It's been very interesting.. First time to MOVE someplace out of Alabama. I am definitely in the minority.. The city is nice, don't get me wrong- but I guess there's no place like home. People here have such a distorted view of the south that it frustrates me. :sigh:

anyway.. as soon as I get my diploma I'm on the first train back to biscuits, cornbread, sweet tea, Chic-fil-A, grits and AWESOME PEOPLE:clap:

17. Sunbeam

Sunbeam Member

+8
    Christian
    Near Huntsville I'm going to move. That's a big change for me. I am not a city person though. I like more relaxed areas. I will miss all the snow. I love snow. Do they have scorpions and rattlesnakes down there? Anything poisionous?

18. oncewaslost

oncewaslost owl

+129
    Calvinist
    Single
    yes :D

19. nicodemus

+61
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    In North Alabama, it does snow fairly frequently (yearly at least) unlike in central & southern Alabama where it is a rarity. Huntsville isn't exactly a huge city, so even if you were going to live there its not like you'd have big traffic problems, etc. Yes, there are a lot of poisonous animals in Alabama: snakes, spiders & scorpions. However, after 27 years of living here, I've only known two people that have ever been bitten by a poisonous animal, they were both bitten by spiders (brown recluse). Neither was ever in any danger of death. I have killed poisonous snakes in my backyard and I live in Birmingham, so they're around, but its not like there's dangerous animals at every turn. Don't mean to scare you, but you asked :D It isn't super common for them to be around.

20. nicodemus

+61
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    I've got some good friends in D.C. and more moving up there soon for residencies. We travel up there a decent bit for soccer games (mainly US games), but sometimes for DC United.

I recently brought a friend from up there that'd never been to the South to Birmingham for four days. She loved it! She enjoyed the Dreamland ribs, the sweet tea, the nice people, the great weather, we took her to her first college football game, etc. She loves Alabama now and says she can't wait to come back.