✟117,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
As Met. Hilarion Alfeyev says about akathists:

The Orthodox Typicon knows of only one akathist – that served on Saturday of the fifth week of Great Lent. Other remarkable examples of this genre, such as those to the Most-Sweet Jesus and St Nicholas, were written in a similar manner. However, many akathists to saints written at a low theological and literary level appeared in the 18th and 19th centuries, in which theology was replaced by piety and meditation on God by “talking about God”. These are of questionable taste.
I don't quite share his negative opinion of them but the important nugget is that these services are generally recently composed and of moderate quality.

Reactions: ikonographics
Upvote 0

ikonographics

In patience I waited patiently on the Lord
Apr 27, 2008
Greece
Visit site
✟27,987.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
As Met. Hilarion Alfeyev says about akathists:

I don't quite share his negative opinion of them but the important nugget is that these services are generally recently composed and of moderate quality.

In Greece there is basically still one Akathist. Here people pray supplicatory canons (parakleses) to Christ an the saints which have a "talking to" not "talking about" character. What the Russians call "akathist's the Greeks call Salutations (Χαιρετισμοί) i.e. we chant the Salutations to the Theotokos on the first four Fridays of Great Lent (and every evening during compline) and the Akathist on the Friday/ Saturday of the 5th Week of Lent. You many find salutations to some saints, but I have never heard them in a liturgical or private context.

Last edited:
Upvote 0