North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
So, there was a thread a while back about road tripping and things that like, but some of us who love to travel tend to so more in planes than in cars. This thread is for us. If the thought of a road trip fills you with dread and anxiety, but the thought of a plane ride doesn't, than this thread is for you.

1) What airlines have you flown? Do you have a preferred airline? If so, what is it?
2) What's your routine at the airport and on the plane?
3) What's the worst flight you've ever been on?
4) What was the most enjoyable flight you've ever been on?
5) What was an airport you kind of, (cause few people actually like airports) liked visiting?
6) Any other memorable moments?

1) I almost always fly Southwest unless I'm going somewhere Southwest doesn't fly, their customer service is best, otherwise it's United but I'm not a fan. I did fly Lufthansa to Germany, and American once and was impressed by both of them.
2) Once I'm through security, grab a bite to eat, read by the gate, go to the restroom right before it's time to board. Find a seat around the wings, get out my headphones, and just chill.
3) I was on a flight from Dallas to Houston one time, and it was the worst turbulence I've ever experienced. There were more bumpy than smooth moments, and I don't think the plane stopped shaking the entire landing.
4) The flight back from Germany. It was 10 hours long, but I spent the entire flight just watching movies, talking with the people I went with, and free wine with our meals.
5) Love Field isn't bad, they have a Whataburger and outlets at most of the seats by the gate. DIA is nice as well, it's just too far from Denver and might as well be in Kansas.
6) Nothing ever too memorable, just once on a trip I was searched going and coming back.

ReesePiece23

The Peanut Buttery Member.
Sep 17, 2013
✟288,577.00
Faith
Christian
EasyJet, British Airways, Catahy Pacific, Ryan Air.

Cathay are by far the best airline I've travelled with. Food was top notch, the service was excellent and the exterior camera made the take off and landing very interesting.

Routine? Use the toilet 10 minutes before making my way to the gates. I'm usually a few hours early for long haul flights, so that I can get through security and relax for a bit. I usually sift through the duty free, walk around aimlessly with my headphones on and have a bite to eat. Once on the plane, just chill and get ino my zone.

Worst fight? That would be with Ryan Air in 2011. That plane was just a school bus with wings. Truly terrible.

Most enjoyable flight would be the New York to London flight when I had a row of seats to myself. I just spread out across all three and rested my eyes with a glass of whisky. Wonderful.

Schiphol airport is a favorite of mine. Narita Tokyo and Hong Kong are also good. Anything that has lots of shops and plenty to do.

I discovered on a recent flight that I'm actually a fan of Suicide Squad. And, Hong Kong to Tokyo was just four hours of turbulence.

Also, people who sit next to me always seem to order the same food and drink that I do.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Delta, Emirates, JetBlue, and Southwest. I actually prefer Southwest just because they do their jobs well and don't take themselves too seriously, every Southwest flight I've been on the pilot has cracked some good jokes either before or after the flight to loosen people up. The flight attendants have always been great as well. Emirates was nice though, they offer you hot towels once you've been seated which is kind of nice. JetBlue is edging out Southwest though, I like their simplicity and affordability.

Not much of a routine, really. I try not to eat very much prior to a flight cause I don't want to need to use a bathroom on board a plane. Otherwise if I'm waiting to board, I'll just grab a seat and listen to music or browse the web.

I haven't really been on any bad flights, but if I had to pick the 'worst' it was probably a transatlantic overnight from Atlanta to London. Some lady a few rows behind me was traveling with her toddler son who cried nearly the entire time.

Best flight was probably one of the Southwest flights I took to San Diego, those folks are always fun.

I really liked Long Beach Airport, most of the airport is open air including terminals and baggage claim, which is awesome. It's MUCH less busy than a lot of airports like SFO and LAX, and stepping off a flight and getting your luggage on a warm Southern California day is a pretty chill experience. 10/10 would do again.

Not on the flight, but I was with a group of about 15 people and we had a big layover in Atlanta (terrible airport). We played blood spoons at the gate. In retrospect I feel like that could've been interpreted badly, seeing a bunch of college people running wildly across the gate, but we had no problems.

Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

Sep 17, 2013
✟288,577.00
Faith
Christian
That sounds awesome.

It's was. Throughout take off and landing I was glued to the monitor. It was quite freaky, because the runway at Hong Kong was like landing on a postage stamp.

@Manwë what are you doing next spring? I'm postponing my US trip because I spent over 100,000 yen lol.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It's was. Throughout take off and landing I was glued to the monitor. It was quite freaky, because the runway at Hong Kong was like landing on a postage stamp.

@Manwë what are you doing next spring? I'm postponing my US trip because I spent over 100,000 yen lol.

Honestly I have no idea, once I graduate in December I could literally end up anywhere...

Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Delta, Emirates, JetBlue, and Southwest. I actually prefer Southwest just because they do their jobs well and don't take themselves too seriously, every Southwest flight I've been on the pilot has cracked some good jokes either before or after the flight to loosen people up. The flight attendants have always been great as well. Emirates was nice though, they offer you hot towels once you've been seated which is kind of nice. JetBlue is edging out Southwest though, I like their simplicity and affordability.

Not much of a routine, really. I try not to eat very much prior to a flight cause I don't want to need to use a bathroom on board a plane. Otherwise if I'm waiting to board, I'll just grab a seat and listen to music or browse the web.

I haven't really been on any bad flights, but if I had to pick the 'worst' it was probably a transatlantic overnight from Atlanta to London. Some lady a few rows behind me was traveling with her toddler son who cried nearly the entire time.

Best flight was probably one of the Southwest flights I took to San Diego, those folks are always fun.

I really liked Long Beach Airport, most of the airport is open air including terminals and baggage claim, which is awesome. It's MUCH less busy than a lot of airports like SFO and LAX, and stepping off a flight and getting your luggage on a warm Southern California day is a pretty chill experience. 10/10 would do again.

Not on the flight, but I was with a group of about 15 people and we had a big layover in Atlanta (terrible airport). We played blood spoons at the gate. In retrospect I feel like that could've been interpreted badly, seeing a bunch of college people running wildly across the gate, but we had no problems.

Open air airport? How does that work? Also, being just at the Atlanta airport this past weekend made me wonder if everyone in Georgia only flies Delta, I've never see so many planes from one airline at one airport in my life.
San Diego was a cool airport to fly out of, flying out over the pacific before turning back East.

I can imagine. I've got that impression at a couple, it's just city-city-city-suddenly runway.

Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

Sep 17, 2013
✟288,577.00
Faith
Christian
Open air airport? How does that work? Also, being just at the Atlanta airport this past weekend made me wonder if everyone in Georgia only flies Delta, I've never see so many planes from one airline at one airport in my life.
San Diego was a cool airport to fly out of, flying out over the pacific before turning back East.

I can imagine. I've got that impression at a couple, it's just city-city-city-suddenly runway.

When you came to the UK did you land in Heathrow or Gatwick? Because Gatwick has one of the longest runways I know of. Plus the most uninspiring views.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
When you came to the UK did you land in Heathrow or Gatwick? Because Gatwick has one of the longest runways I know of. Plus the most uninspiring views.

I landed in Gatwick and departed out of Stansted. The only thing that I remember standing out to me about Gatwick is how long I had to walk from the plane to customs.

Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

Sep 17, 2013
✟288,577.00
Faith
Christian
I landed in Gatwick and departed out of Stansted. The only thing that I remember standing out to me about Gatwick is how long I had to walk from the plane to customs.

Yeah, that's a walk I've done more times than I care to count. It's unnecessarily long. I think it's literally half a mile. And if you're on a non EU passport it's even worse. Fortunately I can go through the E-passport gate.

Heathrow is much much better all round. You just have to commute through central London.

Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yeah, that's a walk I've done more times than I care to count. It's unnecessarily long. I think it's literally half a mile. And if you're on a non EU passport it's even worse. Fortunately I can go through the E-passport gate.

Half a mile, definitely, I'd probably believe you if you said a mile. I have no idea why it's that long, it didn't any sense from what I could see. It really wasn't that much longer for us, at least when I was there, we just walked slightly more to the left of the large room.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Open air airport? How does that work?

Some of the facilities are enclosed, but most others are only covered, so you get a nice sea breeze. First time I went there I went to baggage claim and thought it was so cool that everything was basically outside. Bad weather's almost never a problem there so it makes sense.

%235%20Long%20Beach%20b%20LGB%20Sunset.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ReesePiece23

Sep 17, 2013
✟288,577.00
Faith
Christian
Half a mile, definitely, I'd probably believe you if you said a mile. I have no idea why it's that long, it didn't any sense from what I could see. It really wasn't that much longer for us, at least when I was there, we just walked slightly more to the left of the large room.

No, it makes no sense. No other airport has a design like that, it's really daft. And there's nothing worse than facing that after a long flight. The 'therapeutic' music doesn't help either.

Ah, yes, the human snake of non EU passengers to the left. You all get to meet the old woman with the mole who leans right into your personal space and frowns whilst making an unnerving amount of eye contact.

Beautiful.

Upvote 0

sundewgrower

Site Supporter
Nov 6, 2014
somewhere
✟110,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
1) What airlines have you flown? Do you have a preferred airline? If so, what is it?
Japan Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, American, United, EVA, Asian Air, Frontier, Southwest, Tiger Air, etc.
2) What's your routine at the airport and on the plane?
To get through security by being fast, dressing right, and being really polite--to find my gate, use the restroom, and locate food.
3) What's the worst flight you've ever been on?
The one I missed--they never called me and I'll never do Frontier again.
That or getting lost in Cebu's airport since the design is crappy--you can walk out of security too easy.
4) What was the most enjoyable flight you've ever been on?
Japan Airlines by far with EVA being second-- Asian Air was pretty good but not as nice due to the short flight and less amenities. The food is free and the service great--$150+ added value for free since it's not an American liner.
5) What was an airport you kind of, (cause few people actually like airports) liked visiting?
Places with food options which don't rip you off.
6) Any other memorable moments?
My last trip to Colorado was great due to the people I spoke to back and forth--it was almost better than the trip..

Upvote 0

sundewgrower

Site Supporter
Nov 6, 2014
somewhere
✟110,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged

Ah maybe I'll see HK's airport too. I may have an obligatory meeting of a girl's parents in due time if we keep dating.

Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Some of the facilities are enclosed, but most others are only covered, so you get a nice sea breeze. First time I went there I went to baggage claim and thought it was so cool that everything was basically outside. Bad weather's almost never a problem there so it makes sense.

blobfetch.aspx

That looks amazing, and I guess next time I ever fly into the LA area for some reason I'll choose Long Beach over LAX.

No, it makes no sense. No other airport has a design like that, it's really daft. And there's nothing worse than facing that after a long flight. The 'therapeutic' music doesn't help either.

I'm guessing even seeing the departing side of that airport doesn't help it makes sense.

Ah, yes, the human snake of non EU passengers to the left. You all get to meet the old woman with the mole who leans right into your personal space and frowns whilst making an unnerving amount of eye contact.

Actually, I walked right up to the dude or only waited on a couple people, I think our line was actually shorter than the EU line.

Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

Sep 17, 2013
✟288,577.00
Faith
Christian
Ah maybe I'll see HK's airport too. I may have an obligatory meeting of a girl's parents in due time if we keep dating.

Ah, just remembered that I took this from the departure lounge of HK:

20170319_141423.jpg

Be warned. HK is incredibly humid.

That looks amazing, and I guess next time I ever fly into the LA area for some reason I'll choose Long Beach over LAX.

I'm guessing even seeing the departing side of that airport doesn't help it makes sense.

Actually, I walked right up to the dude or only waited on a couple people, I think our line was actually shorter than the EU line.

You got lucky. Usually that line is devastatingly long.

Upvote 0