Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just more evidence of how we have lost HIS way. I recall being handed a Bible when I enlisted. I was asked, Catholic or Protestant? I replied, "Baptist." The private handing them out said, "You trying to be funny?" I replied "No, I'm not Catholic or Protestant." So he handed me the Protestant Bible. I remember our "call to prayer" at various times in my enlistment. NOT ONCE in six years did anyone ..... ANYONE ..... question my faith. We went to church on Sunday on base at each of my assignments. We went to see a Chaplain at those times when we deemed it necessary. On base. Each time the question was raised, "God or country," we always answered, to a man, God. We underlined that by stating that God is in control of government. What is happening today, in and out of the military is heresy for Christians, blasphemy for everyone else.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,892.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just more evidence of how we have lost HIS way. I recall being handed a Bible when I enlisted. I was asked, Catholic or Protestant? I replied, "Baptist." The private handing them out said, "You trying to be funny?" I replied "No, I'm not Catholic or Protestant." So he handed me the Protestant Bible. I remember our "call to prayer" at various times in my enlistment. NOT ONCE in six years did anyone ..... ANYONE ..... question my faith. We went to church on Sunday on base at each of my assignments. We went to see a Chaplain at those times when we deemed it necessary. On base. Each time the question was raised, "God or country," we always answered, to a man, God. We underlined that by stating that God is in control of government. What is happening today, in and out of the military is heresy for Christians, blasphemy for everyone else.

What, do Baptists use a different bible from other Protestants? You knew it was his job to hand out bibles, you knew what he was asking. Maybe you weren't trying to be funny, but you were being unnecessarily annoying to another troop who was just trying to get his own job done, and you know it. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone--that's not what you were doing.

Christians in the military today can do everything they could do 30 years ago.

Go to church on Sunday, check. Did that, in fact, last month at Ft Sill, OK.

See a chaplain whenever we think necessary, check.

Off-duty bible studies, check.

Nothing they could do 30 years ago is off-limits today.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What, do Baptists use a different bible from other Protestants? You knew it was his job to hand out bibles, you knew what he was asking. Maybe you weren't trying to be funny, but you were being unnecessarily annoying to another troop who was just trying to get his own job done, and you know it. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone--that's not what you were doing.

Christians in the military today can do everything they could do 30 years ago.

Go to church on Sunday, check. Did that, in fact, last month at Ft Sill, OK.

See a chaplain whenever we think necessary, check.

Off-duty bible studies, check.

Nothing they could do 30 years ago is off-limits today.
I had been brought up to believe that the Baptist were the only ones who got it right. That was the reason for my answer. You guessed wrong.

Today a Colonel is being drummed out of the service for declining to officiate at a gay wedding.

That's just one of the many offenses our military is guilty of.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,892.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I had been brought up to believe that the Baptist were the only ones who got it right. That was the reason for my answer. You guessed wrong.

If you want to admit to being an adult with that level of theological unawareness of even what "Baptist" means...okay. But that was still your problem, not the military's.

Today a Colonel is being drummed out of the service for declining to officiate at a gay wedding.

And the link for that...? It's not an official responsibility of any chaplain to perform any weddings at all, so I'd like to see that link.

Upvote 0

Skycastle

Dec 20, 2015
Colorado
✟8,466.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
He's in the military of a nation with separation of church and state. If he can't abide by those rules then he needs to find a new career.

The U.S. Constitution never uses the phrase "separation of church and state." People just imagine it's there.

Anyway, Christians do need to obey God first and government second. God is above all earthly governments. However, those who take the oath to suport the Constitution need to do so. God takes covenants and promises seriously.

• Agree
Reactions: D2wing
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,892.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The U.S. Constitution never uses the phrase "separation of church and state." People just imagine it's there.

Anyway, Christians do need to obey God first and government second. God is above all earthly governments. However, those who take the oath to suport the Constitution need to do so. God takes covenants and promises seriously.

Which is why a Christian needs to take the consequences of that oath seriously.

You were bought at a price; do not become slaves of human beings.

Chaplains enter the military as already-ordained clergy of their own religions, by permission of their own religious denominations, or orders, or whatever form of government their religion practices. The military makes a request for, say, a Baptist chaplain to Baptist conventions, the conventions relay the request to their associated pastors, and recommends respondents back to the military. The organizations have generally had long association with the military, so nothing about military service should be a surprise to anyone.

So a Baptist chaplain has been recommended and approved for duty by his own organization to be a military chaplain, and at his own discretion and desire. Chaplains can resign their commissions at any time.

Upvote 0

D2wing

Feb 12, 2013
✟15,892.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Constitution gives us the right to practice our religion without interference. It is a violation of the Constitution to force chaplains to violate their beliefs. Gay rights is a tool by the social Marxists to destroy Christianity. The Marxist mindset is militantly taking over our country. Many of them and their lacky's post on here.

Reactions: Skycastle
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums