Air Canada Won’t Greet Passengers As ‘Ladies’ And ‘Gentlemen’ In Recognition Of Gender Fluidity

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟804,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Air Canada will no longer allow its flight attendants, pilots, and airport gate staff to greet passengers as “ladies” and “gentlemen” in recognition of “gender fluidity,” the airline announced Monday.

Fox News reports that the airline is making the change as part of a company-wide commitment to be more welcoming to those who don’t strictly identify as either male or female.

The change will mostly affect on-board announcements made over the public address system and boarding announcements made in the gate areas of Air Canada’s hub airports. Employees will now use the simple “everyone” or “tout le monde” (the airline is bilingual to serve residents of Quebec).

Link: Air Canada Won't Greet Passengers As 'Ladies' And 'Gentlemen' In Recognition Of Gender Fluidity

HardHead

Site Supporter
Sep 8, 2019
GTA
✟84,378.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
the airline is bilingual to serve residents of Quebec
This airline, like all Canadian airlines, is bilingual because Canada has two official languages. This is a federal matter and extends to all provinces not only to Quebec. Francophone Canadians live in all parts of Canada not just Quebec, with significant populations in New Brunswick, Manitoba, Ontario, etc.

a company-wide commitment to be more welcoming
Good. This will make things less tense. I for one do not consider myself a 'gentleman' even if I am male. I use my back hair as evidence of this. What I mean by 'this' should be clear, I hope. :)

I agree that Canada is a constitutional monarchy and as such it has actual real ladies and gentlemen as part of the royal family, but these terms really do not apply to any actual AC passengers.

In my view, that arcane concept and terminology is really pointless today. Eliminating it is a good thing no matter the reason or excuse they use. Good riddance if you ask me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

charsan

Charismatic Episcopal Church
Jul 12, 2019
South California
✟62,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Air Canada will no longer allow its flight attendants, pilots, and airport gate staff to greet passengers as “ladies” and “gentlemen” in recognition of “gender fluidity,” the airline announced Monday.

Fox News reports that the airline is making the change as part of a company-wide commitment to be more welcoming to those who don’t strictly identify as either male or female.

The change will mostly affect on-board announcements made over the public address system and boarding announcements made in the gate areas of Air Canada’s hub airports. Employees will now use the simple “everyone” or “tout le monde” (the airline is bilingual to serve residents of Quebec).

Link: Air Canada Won't Greet Passengers As 'Ladies' And 'Gentlemen' In Recognition Of Gender Fluidity

The nuttiness continues

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
At Fenway park home of the Boston Red Sox baseball team a few years back they tried to change the historical PA intercom introduction a few years back and after much backlash they brought it back.

Fans loved to hear over the intercom " Ladies and gentleman, boy and girls welcome to Fenway park"
It was tradition.

• Agree
Reactions: Chrystal-J
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chrystal-J

Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟804,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
So was the 'traditional' Cleveland Indians team logo that many fans probably loved. That tradition is hopefully gone by now. Times change.
That's why we follow God and His teachings, times change but God does not.

• Winner
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HardHead

Site Supporter
Sep 8, 2019
GTA
✟84,378.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Like what?

To be clear, I'm not at all in any way speaking about any Christian traditions, in particular not Catholic or Eastern Orthodox ones.

The traditions that need to be obliterated are the ones that are clearly not driven by the Holy Spirit such as hatred, bigotry, and division. This is why I used the logo example.

How these bad ideas are manifested in human society is often a matter of tradition.

In my view tradition is not to be taken without a grain of salt and knowledge of where the tradition comes from. Much hatred is justified with traditional arguments. These need to be pointed out, brought into daylight and removed because they are poison.

I'm against such things categorically and openly even if my stance might seem comical in how politically correct it may be. I'll take the hits on that 100% of the time with no reservations.

Upvote 0

HardHead

Site Supporter
Sep 8, 2019
GTA
✟84,378.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Regarding political correctness in general you may consider the following ...

27 As many of you as were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. 28 There is no longer Jew or Greek, there is no longer slave or free, there is no longer male and female; for all of you are one in Christ Jesus. 29 And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's offspring, heirs according to the promise. (Galatians 3:27-29, NRSV)

Looking to identify and then to rout out political correctness can indeed become an ideology is one is not careful. This can blind you to what the Spirit wants. Seeking equality, and being open and welcoming without reference to gender and economic status are absolutely biblical concepts.

Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟804,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Followers of Jesus are told to love others, like in Mark 12:30. "30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ 31 The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.” So, if people are using religion to hate, they are not following God.

But, we must also be followers of God's Word, as in John 14: 15 [Jesus says] "If you love me, keep my commands." He says this because those are the way to eternal life rather than eternal condemnation. If we love someone, we don't want them to go to eternal damnation. So, we can't put our stamp of approval on something that is against God's teaching. But, we must do it in a loving way.

• Winner
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,655,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not really. It's tiresome. This is the Catholic forum. Not one of the Protestant forums or American Politics. So what brings you here?
Exactly right. Its quite funny how that works.

Upvote 0

HardHead

Site Supporter
Sep 8, 2019
GTA
✟84,378.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is no commandment greater than these.” So, if people are using religion to hate, they are not following God.
Correct.

So, we can't put our stamp of approval on something that is against God's teaching.
What you need to be careful about is to not project a personal, human, opinion onto God or to read it into the bible. This is dangerous.

Upvote 0