Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The implications are staggering.
1675169877299.png
  • A language model AI created proteins as good as ones honed over a million years of evolution.
  • Salesforce’s ProGen designed sequences based on the “sentences” of biological proteins.
  • Scientists are investigating whether the AI could identify treatment for disorders like rheumatoid arthritis and multiple sclerosis.

Artificial intelligence is a master of imitation. Every time scientists design an AI—whether to mimic human language or master a game like chess—it either matches or far exceeds the capabilities of its biological creators. Now, AI has proven that it can even master the art of biology itself.

Researchers at the University of California-San Francisco, the University of California-Berkeley, and Salesforce Research, a science arm of the SF-based software company, developed an AI capable of copying evolution itself. This doesn’t mean the AI created some sort of evolutionary superior superhuman (yet), but instead, the AI designed sequences of 20 amino acids that make up proteins. When compared to nature’s handiwork, some of the sequences worked just as well as ones generated over millions of years of evolution. The researchers published their findings in the journal Nature Biotechnology.

Interestingly, scientists didn’t design an AI from scratch, but rather, repurposed one from an unlikely field: a language model. Researchers used Salesforce’s ProGen natural language-processing abilities and focused on the “sentences” of biological proteins—essentially a language of amino acids.

Last edited:

YeshuaFollower

Veritas vos liberabit
Dec 6, 2022
eastern townships, Quebec
✟17,234.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
  • A language model AI created proteins as good as ones honed over a million years of evolution.
  • Salesforce’s ProGen designed sequences based on the “sentences” of biological proteins.
  • Scientists are investigating whether the AI could identify treatment for disorders like rheumatoid arthritis and multiple sclerosis.

Artificial intelligence is a master of imitation. Every time scientists design an AI—whether to mimic human language or master a game like chess—it either matches or far exceeds the capabilities of its biological creators. Now, AI has proven that it can even master the art of biology itself.

Researchers at the University of California-San Francisco, the University of California-Berkeley, and Salesforce Research, a science arm of the SF-based software company, developed an AI capable of copying evolution itself. This doesn’t mean the AI created some sort of evolutionary superior superhuman (yet), but instead, the AI designed sequences of 20 amino acids that make up proteins. When compared to nature’s handiwork, some of the sequences worked just as well as ones generated over millions of years of evolution. The researchers published their findings in the journal Nature Biotechnology.

Interestingly, scientists didn’t design an AI from scratch, but rather, repurposed one from an unlikely field: a language model. Researchers used Salesforce’s ProGen natural language-processing abilities and focused on the “sentences” of biological proteins—essentially a language of amino acids.
Evolution and AI are a deception no more. Ai may be useful but for who? millitary, banks, digital ID, world economic forum to remove our liberties ect..It could be of a great benefit if used correctly but I doubt it will ever be used to benefit mankind.

Peace,

JFF

Reactions: Frank Robert
Upvote 0

Frank Robert

Feb 18, 2021
KW
✟127,483.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
After how many tries?
Don't know how many approaches were taken, but it appears relatively fast for the scientists to design an AI from scratch, by repurposing a language model.

The beauty of the results are a further demonstration that evolution works.

Upvote 0

Frank Robert

Feb 18, 2021
KW
✟127,483.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Evolution and AI are a deception no more. Ai may be useful but for who? millitary, banks, digital ID, world economic forum to remove our liberties ect..It could be of a great benefit if used correctly but I doubt it will ever be used to benefit mankind.

Peace,

JFF
Neoliberalism rules.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,434.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Don't know how many approaches were taken, but it appears relatively fast for the scientists to design an AI from scratch, by repurposing a language model.

Here's the first bullet point in your OP:

A language model AI created proteins as good as ones honed over a million years of evolution.

Big deal.

You can google "proteins" and see their pictures, molecular makeups, and so forth.

I would think any high school student could draw one.

But a computer comes up with one, and we're supposed to what?

Froth at the mouth in admiration?

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟312,561.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I would think any high school student could draw one.
The AI sequenced them from scratch. Indicating that it’s a purely mechanistic process of protein synthesis.

Nothing like drawing a picture from a screen. But you know that.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟67,492.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Now, AI has proven that it can even master the art of biology itself.
You have not proven anything to me. I think it is a sure thing that criminals will use AI to steal money. Even science itself is neutral, not good or evil. They can create weapons of mass destruction or the can use AI for something positive and good. WE have to choose, we make that choice.

Musk talked to the Russians to build him a space ship but they could only build a ship that can deliver a weapon of mass destruction. That is why he started his own company to build his own space ships. He is still trying to work with Russia but so far has not been able to work anything out with them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟67,492.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
economic forum to remove our liberties ect
For me the best thing they can do is to condense a book down to a magazine article. Most books are a waste of time and more a display of the author's ego than anything else. They can read a book and condense it down very fast and save us a lot of time.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟67,492.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Musk talks about how AI scares him
He is just trying to cover for himself. AI can be used for good or evil. We know what sort of scams people are already running. Now, they can get AI to run their scams for them. I just had a Facebook account hacked and it really did look like it was Facebook wanting to verify my account. In 8 hours they had 20 people wanting to send them $200 for Taylor swift tickets. I had to send Facebook a copy of my driver's license before they would give me access to my account.

Upvote 0

Frank Robert

Feb 18, 2021
KW
✟127,483.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You have not proven anything to me.
You are correct I have not proven anything to you or anyone else. It is AI that has proven itself able to learn.

I think it is a sure thing that criminals will use AI to steal money. Even science itself is neutral, not good or evil. They can create weapons of mass destruction or the can use AI for something positive and good. WE have to choose, we make that choice.
I agree, criminals will figure out nefarious uses for AI.
Musk talked to the Russians to build him a space ship but they could only build a ship that can deliver a weapon of mass destruction. That is why he started his own company to build his own space ships. He is still trying to work with Russia but so far has not been able to work anything out with them.
It was not only Musk who used Russian space technology See: How NASA became utterly dependent on Russia for space travel

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Frank Robert

Feb 18, 2021
KW
✟127,483.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's ok to say governments and Corporatism.
I agree, governments and our corps run by oligarchs, especially in the US and EU, are our major criminals.

You might like this:

Scott Ritter: The Best Speech I Never Gave - 02/14/23

“I once was corrupted by the hatred that comes from fear generated by ignorance.” The author offers a text of a speech he wrote, but will not be giving at the Feb. 19 antiwar rally in Washington.
Scott Ritter was a United Nations weapons inspector in Iraq from 1991 to 1998, and later a critic of United States foreign policy in the Middle East. Prior to the U.S. invasion of Iraq in March 2003, Ritter stated that Iraq possessed no significant weapons of mass destruction (WMD) capabilities.

(He also had legal problems of a sexual nature.)

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟236,313.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Now, AI has proven that it can even master the art of biology itself.
Rather an overstatement. It has demonstrated that it can emulate a specific and constrained aspect of biology. Impressive yes, but mastery? I think not.

The beauty of the results are a further demonstration that evolution works.
Likewise this is a demonstration that the application of simple principle can deliver analagous results to what we understand of the process of evolution. Again, very impressive, but not a demonstration that evolution works.
It could be of a great benefit if used correctly but I doubt it will ever be used to benefit mankind
I see you follow a glass 5% full philosophy!

Musk talked to the Russians to build him a space ship but they could only build a ship that can deliver a weapon of mass destruction. That is why he started his own company to build his own space ships.
No. He attempted to purchase a ballistic missile, or the associated rocketry, which is not the euqivalent of a having a spaceship built.

Upvote 0

Stephen3141

Mar 14, 2023
Southwest
✟36,649.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

I would caution using the language that researchers have duplicated human evolution, using an AI.

For these reasons...

1. Human input, in the form of a machine language that understands concepts of meaning in human languages, was used. No computer developed this language, or chose how to use it, or directed how this language should be changed to apply to biological invention. No computer, invented the digital computer, that runs this software.

2. "Evolution" is a formal biological theory, built off random DNA mutation and natural selection. "Human evolution" requires that a DNA pathway be shown to exist, from simple biological life, to the current human genome. And, that each random DNA change in a generation does not produce DNA configurations that would kill the organism, and that would not hurt its ability for natural selection to select the organism for survival. This is not what this post is talking about.

3. The use of "artificial intelligence" in this post, does not match the hard requirements of Computer Science, as it defines minimal capability of "artificial intelligence." Nor do the common usages of "AI" in modern American discussion, meet minimal Computer Science AI requirements.

4. Using a computer program written by a human being, to find useful DNA configurations or amino acid configurations is an example of a human being writing a computer tool, for the human being to do research. This is very different than asserting that the tool, somehow proves human evolution. Most of the "examples of AI" that modern Americans are talking about, are simply automated tools, written by human beings. They do not meet minimal abilities that Computer Science has defined, to make "artificial intelligence".

I think that this post does not use a historic and technical definition of "AI", or "evolution".

Reactions: mindlight
Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟339,455.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The use of "artificial intelligence" in this post, does not match the hard requirements of Computer Science, as it defines minimal capability of "artificial intelligence." Nor do the common usages of "AI" in modern American discussion, meet minimal Computer Science AI requirements.
Could you provide a reference for these requirements in comp sci? As far as I know, people in CS are typically fine with distinguishing between weak AI, which is what this is, and strong AI, and refer to both as AI.

Upvote 0