Ahead of Trial, Finnish MP Facing Jail After Tweeting Bible Verse Says Case a Test of...

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,582,836.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
...Religious Freedom

Paul Coleman, ADF International’s executive director, said: “In a free society, everyone should be allowed to share their beliefs without fear of censorship. This is the foundation of every free and democratic society.”

A former government minister facing jail after tweeting a Bible verse said that her trial next week will be a test of religious freedom.

Päivi Räsänen, a physician and mother of five, explained that she had a “calm mind” ahead of the criminal trial beginning on Jan. 24.

“I trust that we still live in a democracy, and we have our constitution and international agreements that guarantee our freedom of speech and religion,” said Räsänen, Finland’s interior minister from 2011 to 2015.

“If I win the case, I think that it is a very important step for freedom of speech and religion. I think it’s not only important for Finland but also in Europe and other countries.”

Continued below.
Ahead of Trial, Finnish MP Facing Jail After Tweeting Bible Verse Says Case a Test of Religious Freedom

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,223,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟272,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So you predict a finding of guilty?

More than likely. My comment, however, was aimed more at the broader long-term trends than just this specific case. I think the mania is only gathering steam, and we are a long ways from seeing any light at the end of the tunnel.

Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,582,836.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A former government minister facing jail in Finland after tweeting a Bible verse pleaded not guilty to three criminal charges on Monday.

Päivi Räsänen appeared at Helsinki District Court on Jan. 24, the first day of her trial, alongside Juhana Pohjola, bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Mission Diocese of Finland, who is facing one criminal charge.

Finland’s Prosecutor General filed criminal charges against the pair on April 29, 2020, formally charging them with the crime of “ethnic agitation,” which falls under the section of “war crimes and crimes against humanity” in the country’s criminal code.

The state prosecutor asserted that the statements made by Räsänen, who served as Finland’s interior minister from 2011 to 2015, were “likely to cause intolerance, contempt, and hatred towards homosexuals.”

Continued below.
Finnish MP facing jail after tweeting Bible verse pleads not guilty as trial begins

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,223,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
  • Friendly
Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟423,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Good good news. But if the Colorado bakery case and the Washington state floral case have told us a verdict of innocent may only last until the next set up case is filed. So maybe not finished. There could be stalkers recording her every spoken word to nail her all over again. But for today she won.

We had her attorney Lorcan Price on the show last week and there's talk of the prosecutors appealing. I hope if it gets that far that they just get absolutely wrecked by a decent judge.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,223,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
We had her attorney Lorcan Price on the show last week and there's talk of the prosecutors appealing. I hope if it gets that far that they just get absolutely wrecked by a decent judge.
Any updates? Is the verdict standing or is there more legal trouble for her?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,223,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
As far as I know there haven't been any major developments in her case.
I just found this:

PRESS RELEASE 23 August 2022

MP Päivi Räsänen:

Court of Appeal proceedings to be delayed by more than a year

The Helsinki Court of Appeal has yesterday announced that the hearings concerning my statements will only take place next year, on three days, 22-24 August 2023. For my part, the preliminary investigation and judicial process has already been going on for more than three years and will continue for years to come.

My 2019 Twitter upload containing a Bible quote, my radio interview on YLE [Finnish National Broadcasting LLM] and the booklet published in 2004 will therefore be transferred to the Court of Appeal. The Helsinki District Court issued a unanimous, clear acquittal, but the prosecutors appealed that decision to the Appellate Court.

I find it unfortunate that this process is taking so long, because the mere fact that there is an ongoing trial, even without a conviction, has a restrictive effect on freedom of expression. Accusations, interrogations and trials cause the public to fear expressing their convictions. I encourage everyone to exercise freedom of speech and religion as the best way to prevent the self-censorship that silences open debate. I am, however, confident about the forthcoming hearing and remain delighted with the District Court’s decision. From my point of view, a victory in the District Court would have been quite sufficient, but the acquittals of the higher courts have broader significance. The continuation of the case will allow for a preliminary ruling on freedom of expression and religion, even from the Supreme Court of Finland. This would serve as a legal guide for any similar charges in the years to come. I hope that no one else will be subject to similar accusations in the future.

Personally, I am prepared to defend freedom of expression and religion at all necessary levels of the law, even before the European Court of Human Rights if necessary.

Päivi Räsänen

Member of Parliament of Finland

Upvote 0