Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
As I'm sure everyone of you know, Pentecostalism (or, as it's more commonly referred to as Charismatic Christianity) is the world's fasting growing movement within Christianity.

In saying this, however, why can't we all just get along? I know different movements, whether self-identifying as Pentecostal, or Charismatic, or perhaps non-denominational, etcetera, have different teachings. I know some doctrinal differences cannot be overlooked, but I personally there are some things that can be. Personally, I believe all the "nit-picking" as a I call it is completely unnecessary and it's of the Devil. It's his job to separate us, and he's doing his job extremely well.

I know there are Trinitarian and Oneness branches within Pentecostalism, both with devout adherents and large churches. And, yes, I'm saying here and now I'm not Trinitarian, but I'm not speaking against any Trinitarian belief, whether or not I agree. The church I attend is not Trinitarian, either, but we have fellowshipped with other churches that are.

In conclusion, why can't we agree to disagree? In all honesty, I see it as this unnecessary division that we don't need.

Spirit of Pentecost

Acts 2:38 Salvation
May 6, 2016
Georgia
✟39,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Being "devout adherents" to untruth is still about untruth.
True. But are we really helping one another by debating doctrine? There is only right way to Heaven, but spending one's time debating and bashing another's beliefs isn't helping, at least in my opinion.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,304.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As I'm sure everyone of you know, Pentecostalism (or, as it's more commonly referred to as Charismatic Christianity) is the world's fasting growing movement within Christianity.

In saying this, however, why can't we all just get along? I know different movements, whether self-identifying as Pentecostal, or Charismatic, or perhaps non-denominational, etcetera, have different teachings. I know some doctrinal differences cannot be overlooked, but I personally there are some things that can be. Personally, I believe all the "nit-picking" as a I call it is completely unnecessary and it's of the Devil. It's his job to separate us, and he's doing his job extremely well.

I know there are Trinitarian and Oneness branches within Pentecostalism, both with devout adherents and large churches. And, yes, I'm saying here and now I'm not Trinitarian, but I'm not speaking against any Trinitarian belief, whether or not I agree. The church I attend is not Trinitarian, either, but we have fellowshipped with other churches that are.

In conclusion, why can't we agree to disagree? In all honesty, I see it as this unnecessary division that we don't need.

If people suspect another Christian is touting something that isn't biblical or appears fake/insincere/selfish , it's going to cause problems, and it should. We are to rebuke certain things our brother or sister may be doing.

So here is the question...What are the major "nit pics" you're referring to?

Jesus did not come to "just get along".

Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Don't we already agree to disagree? After all, we have our different buildings, our different services, and we get together in such things as ministerial associations and cooperate sometimes in city wide crusades . . . what more do you want?

Upvote 0

Spirit of Pentecost

May 6, 2016
Georgia
✟39,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
If people suspect another Christian is touting something that isn't biblical or appears fake/insincere/selfish , it's going to cause problems, and it should. We are to rebuke certain things our brother or sister may be doing.

So here is the question...What are the major "nit pics" you're referring to?

Jesus did not come to "just get along".
Within specific denominal circles, some pastors and congregates will cease fellowship over church standards. It isn't too common, and some movements may never experience anything like this. At the same time, my neck of the woods has a community revival where a Baptist, Methodist, and Church of God (Cleveland) pastors take turns preaching. They all don't agree, but that doesn't stop their fellowship.
Don't we already agree to disagree? After all, we have our different buildings, our different services, and we get together in such things as ministerial associations and cooperate sometimes in city wide crusades . . . what more do you want?
As I said above, I don't believe Christ intended His children to be separated as we are. I know some can't be overlooked, whether it be doctrinal differences or standards, etcetera, but some of it can be. Denominationalism is, in my opinion, the work of the Devil whose more than succeeded at his job of having us divided. He knows had we all stayed on the same page (more or less) we would accomplish way more.

And, to be a bit more direct, I was speaking of here on CF itself. I've listed my faith as Pentecostal, which I am, but it seems some (and I stress some) don't like me posting on their forums because I and the church I attend are not Trinitarian. However, I've noticed several different members of different faiths posting in Pentecostal forums, and it doesn't bother me. Their insights might just help. On the other hand, I've been singled out on more than one occasion because of my Oneness view on the Godhead. But I must add that I've never spoke negative against any Trinitarian theology, but I have infrequently given my views on the Oneness of the Godhead based on Scriptures when I've been privately messaged. A Oneness/Trinitarian debate isn't what I'm after.

Reactions: Kenny'sID
Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Within specific denominal circles, some pastors and congregates will cease fellowship over church standards. It isn't too common, and some movements may never experience anything like this. At the same time, my neck of the woods has a community revival where a Baptist, Methodist, and Church of God (Cleveland) pastors take turns preaching. They all don't agree, but that doesn't stop their fellowship.

As I said above, I don't believe Christ intended His children to be separated as we are. I know some can't be overlooked, whether it be doctrinal differences or standards, etcetera, but some of it can be. Denominationalism is, in my opinion, the work of the Devil whose more than succeeded at his job of having us divided. He knows had we all stayed on the same page (more or less) we would accomplish way more.

And, to be a bit more direct, I was speaking of here on CF itself. I've listed my faith as Pentecostal, which I am, but it seems some (and I stress some) don't like me posting on their forums because I and the church I attend are not Trinitarian. However, I've noticed several different members of different faiths posting in Pentecostal forums, and it doesn't bother me. Their insights might just help. On the other hand, I've been singled out on more than one occasion because of my Oneness view on the Godhead. But I must add that I've never spoke negative against any Trinitarian theology, but I have infrequently given my views on the Oneness of the Godhead based on Scriptures when I've been privately messaged. A Oneness/Trinitarian debate isn't what I'm after.

This trinitarian welcomes your post as that of a brother in Christ.

Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,263.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I would just like to point out that this is the Pentecostal/Assemblies of God subforum and 'oneness doctrine' is not acceptable here. This is a Trinitarian forum,as is the whole Christian Forum.Please abide by the guidelines for this subforum that are stated above.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Spirit of Pentecost

May 6, 2016
Georgia
✟39,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I would just like to point out that this is the Pentecostal/Assemblies of God subforum and 'oneness doctrine' is not acceptable here. This is a Trinitarian forum,as is the whole Christian Forum.Please abide by the guidelines for this subforum that are stated above.
I haven't discussed the Oneness view on the Godhead straight out on any forum here. I've merely stated that I am not Trinitarian and my church isn't, either. I'm honestly not seeing the problem with that at all. That's no different than any other denominal Christian posting in this Pentecostal/Assemblies of God forum because they generally don't agree with the Pentecostal/Charismatic movement's basic teachings, either. And I have no problem with any Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian, non-denominational, etcetera person posting in this forum.

And doesn't the guidelines say not to discuss Non-Trinitarian views within Trinitarian forums? I'm sure it says that, or words to that effect. Although I don't personally the issue with discussing different views within the same denominal movement, I have not discussed the Oneness view on the Godhead on any particular forum here on CF. So, as I've said, I'm not seeing the issue. Personally, quietbloke, it seems you are the only one that doesn't approve.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,304.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Within specific denominal circles, some pastors and congregates will cease fellowship over church standards.

And I suppose those standards, specifically, would be the nit pics I'd have to know before I could answer the why of your question.

Upvote 0

Spirit of Pentecost

May 6, 2016
Georgia
✟39,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
And I suppose those standards, specifically, would be the nit pics I'd have to know before I could answer the why of your question.
Well, I couldn't say what standards could possibly divide all denominational groups, but attending a Pentecostal church these past few years, I could share some experiences there. Although these aren't typical reasons and my church itself doesn't fuss over standards strongly, I've heard and sometimes experienced some of these myself.

Some Pentecostals that had more modest "holiness standards" such as no makeup and no cutting hair for women, and no facial hair or short sleeves for the men, might possibly not fellowship with a church where the women might where makeup or trim their hair, or where men have beards and wear short sleeves. All the churches I've came across that have the major things in common with what my church believes, generally agree on my "holiness standards", but there were frequently be some minor differences. My church my not always agree with another church's personal standards, but we're pretty agreeable that some things fall under personal conviction. I know some Pentecostals may be strongly for or strongly against female preachers or evangelists, and there are some that might straddle the fence on the issue.

As I said above, I couldn't speak for all other denominational groups, but I know that some (and I stress some) Pentecostal churches I've heard and/or read about have ceased fellowship with other Pentecostal churches because of certain "standards" that could, more or less, simply be overlooked.

Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟665,482.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

You seem like a mature, rational, thinking individual, except in one area...you expect others to be the same. :)

Upvote 0

Spirit of Pentecost

May 6, 2016
Georgia
✟39,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
You seem like a mature, rational, thinking individual, except in one area...you expect others to be the same. :)
Thanks ;) And yes, I guess that is my problem isn't it? :D

Reactions: jacks
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kenny'sID

Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,304.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, I couldn't say what standards could possibly divide all denominational groups, but attending a Pentecostal church these past few years, I could share some experiences there. Although these aren't typical reasons and my church itself doesn't fuss over standards strongly, I've heard and sometimes experienced some of these myself.

Some Pentecostals that had more modest "holiness standards" such as no makeup and no cutting hair for women, and no facial hair or short sleeves for the men, might possibly not fellowship with a church where the women might where makeup or trim their hair, or where men have beards and wear short sleeves. All the churches I've came across that have the major things in common with what my church believes, generally agree on my "holiness standards", but there were frequently be some minor differences. My church my not always agree with another church's personal standards, but we're pretty agreeable that some things fall under personal conviction. I know some Pentecostals may be strongly for or strongly against female preachers or evangelists, and there are some that might straddle the fence on the issue.

As I said above, I couldn't speak for all other denominational groups, but I know that some (and I stress some) Pentecostal churches I've heard and/or read about have ceased fellowship with other Pentecostal churches because of certain "standards" that could, more or less, simply be overlooked.

OK, pretty petty and even Biblical expectations of some. Are you sure you want to associate with someone that may not wan to associate with you because of some made up man made rules they have?

Their action may be reason to not associate with them, that's nuts. I thought is was going to be something much worse.

That's the last time I get MY hopes up. :)

Upvote 0

Spirit of Pentecost

May 6, 2016
Georgia
✟39,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
OK, pretty petty and even Biblical expectations of some. Are you sure you want to associate with someone that may not wan to associate with you because of some made up man made rules they have?

Their action may be reason to not associate with them, that's nuts. I thought is was going to be something much worse.

That's the last time I get MY hopes up. :)
I agree that some of it is mindless childishness that could be simply overlooked.

• Agree
Reactions: Kenny'sID
Upvote 0