• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Agoraphobia

Ygrene Imref

Feb 21, 2017
New York, NY
✟70,839.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
Agoraphobia is a fear of open spaces. This anxiety extends to any situation in which one is immersed in a seemingly boundless open area with no visible and immediate way of escape.

It is sort of the opposite of claustrophobia.

You can develop agoraphobia through life experience and trauma. One of the natural ways one is agoraphobic is to be an introvert. Introverts (un)consciously absorb the "energy" of those around them, and need time to recharge themselves - as part of the intuitive aspect of introverts perceives even subtle changes in crowd and personal emotion.

Introversion is often erroneously attributed to agoraphobia, therefore, but it is actually intuition, and perceptive sensitivity of surroundings that unwittingly leads to agoraphobia.

"for the Lord your God is he who goes with you to fight for you against your enemies, to give you the victory." Deuteronomy 20:4

"The Lord will cause your enemies who rise against you to be defeated before you. They shall come out against you one way and flee before you seven ways." Deuteronomy 28:7

"No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us." Romans 8:37

"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

"For everyone who has been born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith." 1 John 5:4

There can be a spiritual aspect to any phobia. Demons, principalities and other spirits will use the fact that this imperfect body has "kinks" to guilt us into thinking our physical imperfections are a result of ungodliness, demonic activity or unrepentant sin. Anxiety feeds phobias like agoraphobia, and it would be foolish not to assume these entities wouldnt try to exploit our imperfections and turn them into idols of obsession (so that it rules our lives, instead of God/Christ.)

So, a way to calm the phobia is to understand where "sudden rushes of anxiety" can simply he a spiritual exploitation of an already "faulty system" (our imperfect bodies) by something else.

Even some humans who delight in psychosocial experimentation are capable of purposefully generating anxiety for phobias.

"I called on Your name, O LORD, Out of the lowest pit." Lamentations 3:55

Eventually, those that do this to afflict people - spirit, flesh or both - will be judged by God if they don't have the wherewithal to repent themselves.

"Have all the workers of iniquity no knowledge? who eat up my people as they eat bread, and call not upon the LORD. There were they in great fear: for God is in the generation of the righteous." Psalm 14:4-5

In this age, you can look at agoraphobia as a POWERFUL gift from God. The end times began when Christ resurrected, but the birth pangs/contractions of labour increase as the "baby" (the end of this age) comes closer. So, the same stuff is happening i.e. agoraphobia is not new. But, it may be a hidden weapon for people who feel they suffer from it.

Why would it be a blessing?

In this time where up is down, and right is wrong, there needs to be a bit of a more "substantive discernment barometer," as each generation gets wiser and wickeder.

Most people don't believe it, but abstractions like "anger, sadness, and evil" manifest and thrive on concrete vectors to carry them - like humans interaction, peer and social pressure, discrimination, etc. Rarely do people introduce themselves as "chauvinistic, racist, evil antagonizing trolls" - although part of the "wiser and wickeder" aspect of the generations is that these type of people ARE getting bolder.

Agoraphobia - when understood from a spiritual POV - may actually be a tool for protection through "intuitive discernment via extroverted presentation from surroundings."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

singpraise

Dec 2, 2016
US
✟18,519.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What is it?

Why do I have agoraphobia?

What caused it? How to overcome it?

Anyone else have it? Any bible verses that my be comforting to remember while I try to overcome this?

I am self diagnosed.

I don't know very much about agoraphobia although I know it can be restrictive and keep people from wanting to leave their homes. I tend to be naturally introverted and prefer staying at home as much as possible. I rarely-to-never get "cabin fever" and I greatly enjoy solitude. The previous poster's definition of "introvert" suits me almost exactly. I need time away from people after having been around people all day at work.

I'm so interested in this condition and have always wondered if I'm a type of agoraphobic due to disliking crowds and "socializing" so much. I love people, and my family, but only enjoy being around people (other than my husband) in limited doses.

You say you're self-diagnosed, what traits do you have that have caused you to reach this conclusion? If you don't mind my asking, what is your daily routine? Do you work outside your home?

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Clintos

Feb 3, 2017
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
✟27,562.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Agoraphobia - when understood from a spiritual POV - may actually he a tool for protection through "intuitive discernment via extroverted presentation from surroundings."

Thanks for the verses I will highlight them in my Bible.

I feel like I am in hiding from social and external/internal forces. I get either scared or exhausted when I'm in social situation or when I am outdoors I also feel that the devil is in me to an extent. I want to stop feeding the devil and starve him out of me.

Upvote 0

Clintos

Feb 3, 2017
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
✟27,562.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
You say you're self-diagnosed, what traits do you have that have caused you to reach this conclusion? If you don't mind my asking, what is your daily routine? Do you work outside your home?

I work only 1 hour a day outdoors then I am in the house 23 hours a day. The only time I leave the house is to visit mother/church/bible study.

Crowds bother me and wide open spaces also. I have social anxiety too.

So far just going to bible study tonight will be hard for me to do, it will be only my second time attending.

Upvote 0

singpraise

Dec 2, 2016
US
✟18,519.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I work only 1 hour a day outdoors then I am in the house 23 hours a day. The only time I leave the house is to visit mother/church/bible study.

Crowds bother me and wide open spaces also. I have social anxiety too.

So far just going to bible study tonight will be hard for me to do, it will be only my second time attending.

If you're getting out of the house at all that is a great sign! Sometimes I feel like I literally have to force myself to get ready for work, drive through the terrible traffic and make it through the day at my office. Luckily I have a great job with very nice co-workers and a good office environment. I can close my office door anytime I need to. At home I feel blissful and tend to just long to be there all the time. I told my husband I wish more than anything I could retire early! :) He's a lot like me, though, and we're happiest when we're home alone together.

I feel if you're doing the things you're doing you're doing very well and at least getting out some. We all have different personality types. Our society rewards those who are more extroverted and sociable but why? They aren't necessarily better or worse people, just different. I personally couldn't care less about much of anything "social;" I'm not on Facebook, Instagram, etc., find the whole "selfie" thing to be ridiculous. I'm a private person. I like it that way, I'm happy.

The key thing for you is: Are you happy? Are you content being the way you are? If so, that's good. If you feel unhappy and lonely you may want to speak with a counselor or doctor to get a professional diagnosis so you don't slide into depression. Take care of yourself, my friend.

Upvote 0
May 28, 2014
Greeneville
Visit site
✟44,101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I have a very light case of Agoraphobia, it's nothing serious. I used to love wide open spaces but now they just make me afraid. I'm an introvert, if that's a contributing factor.

Upvote 0

Clintos

Feb 3, 2017
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
✟27,562.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Thanks,

God can save me, He's all I got. I wish I could say that I am "content", but I am not.

I'm seeking professional advice, but it's not enough, Something is missing like a behavior therapist or a mentor of some sort.

I am going to add AA group to my church and bible study regime. I'm tryin to be my own behavior therapist because they do not cover it here in Canada on OHIP. So I want to learn to be my own cognitive behavioral therapist. I see a pshychiatrist but that is it as for a health care professional

• Prayers
Reactions: Qu30
Upvote 0

Ygrene Imref

Feb 21, 2017
New York, NY
✟70,839.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
Thanks for the verses I will highlight them in my Bible.

Perhaps the spirit of God is guiding you in the right direction? Have you asked Him?

Even if you didn't (yet,) you began by asking your spiritual family posing this question.

This isn't much different than someone consulting with their earthly siblings before going to the parents - even in the hope the sibling can/will make an appeal for the cause.

I feel like I am in hiding from social and external/internal forces.

This "pseudo-guilt" is one of those spiritual tactics I was talking about that gets used as an exploiter. Hiding can be a powerful defensive tactic. The Woman (church) that was panged to be delivered was given wings to fly into the wilderness and flee from the Dragon trying to destroy her. This hiding was a direct gift from God - a protection and preserver.

Society is highly extraverted, and scientifically based (the opposite of intuition is literally knowledge/science.) This may or not be your personality and philosophy. Unfortunately humans are dynamic, and even the most predictable of us cannot fit in a neat box.

This presents a problem when the world has chosen to designate normalcy as something static (like extroversion = fun = $$$ = happy life...) It, therefore, makes sense that anyone who is introverted, or naturally reclusive (especially compared to a "wired" world,) may feel especially out of place in a society that is his or her categorical opposite.

The way the world programs us from birth is essentially a brainwashing of what we "knew on our hearts," and trains our brains to act, and react to status quo. For persons who are spiritually drawn, called and chosen, the dichotomy of flesh and spirit is projected as a psychological and social clash with what the world has said is good.

Smile.

Laugh.

Dont frown, you will get wrinkles.

You are young, you should be doing

Why don't you get out more?

But, what if you smile on the inside? What if you never stop laughing in your mind/spirit? What if you appreciate the story behind wrinkles, and/or you are simply not that vain?

What if you want to do something to philosophically change the cliche, "Youth is wasted on the young," by NOT wasting it - doing things that are meaningful to you, and from which meaning can be drawn by others?

What if you don't get out in the world because it is an insane asylum in your opinion - but you "get out" with powerful influence and merit via conversations with real people on the internet?

Part of the pseudoguilt you feel is your failure to fit into a box - a box that you, perhaps, feel is necessary for survival in any or all forms. Introversion limits your interactions in the Western world. It can also have an affect on your finances, and life. In one way or another, people who don't "fit in" will be reminded. So, I understand the draw to "fix" what you may see as problems.

I am hoping to make the argument that - especially depending on your own personal circumstances - agoraphobia may be a God-given gift.

From a human perspective, it is certainly a flaw - as society clearly says anyone who doesn't want to socialize with dozens of people all the time, chooses to enjoy solitary company, or doesn't interact with people physically and often is flawed. We even have "centers" for those who "really" don't fit in.

The status quo is dangerous, because it is man made, and as a consequence of that is always at enmity with God. Part of our spiritual battle is diligently and righteously responding to these physical projections of spiritual assault.

Considering God is infinite (in math, infinity isnt a number, but a generators of the numbers themselves - forever,) His children will be extremely diverse. To feel guilty for being yourself - especially when it is not in offense to God - is an attack on who you are.

Therefore, an attack on your identity as a child of God is an attack on Him. He is patient and merciful, but He doesn't take lightly His children being oppressed. Remember He destroyed the world, an entire advanced civilization with walking gods, and countless "modern" empires - all so that His people are preserved.

While He prepares vengeance for the entities that oppress you, and drive you to anxiety thinking about this, it is up to you to make sure you talk to God about where to go so that you can use whatever "it" is for His glory. That is the overall point.

I think you are already on the right track appealing to the Family of believers - and even persons in general (people who don't even realize, perhaps, they are children of God.)

I get either scared or exhausted when I'm in social situation or when I am outdoors

Well, we just discussed how this could be spiritual oppression. I certainly won't go into further detail, as I feel I may have already been too verbose, previously. Keeping in mind the spiritual exploitation of anxiety, let's consider another aspect...

What is your personality type? You should take a test online and get a general assessment. You sound like you may just be one of the introverted personality types (I am an INFJ - extremely introverted.) Introverts have a tendency to be intuitive - almost to the point of pain. These are the people who say they feel like they are coughing up water - only to find out their cousin almost drowned at or near the same time.

Introversion, like extroversion, can be a powerful tool and blessing from God. My best friend is an extreme extrovert. So, we compliment each other - I don't feel the need to be overly (and awkwardly) sociable, while he doesn't have to worry about "scanning" every single room he goes into for "threats." I am being a bit facetious and hyperbolic in the description of our relationship, but it is close. None of us are meant to be alone, actually. God even says this; we are all built with a draw toward uniting with someone/something else. We are all pieces of a jigsaw puzzle desperately trying to find our EXACT fit - not just the one that works.

So, finding the right company is just as important as assessing and managing your anxiety. Let me ask you a question: do you have NO problem conversing "ad nauseum" with people whom you feel you can thoroughly trust?

I also feel that the devil is in me to an extent. I want to stop feeding the devil and starve him out of me.

It is like Inception: the Enemy makes you feel silly for what you think is agoraphobia. This can be accomplished through other people, feelings, etc...

That guilt turns into worry: "Am I really doing something wrong?"

That worry turns into frustration.

Frustration turns into embarrassment.

Embarrassment turns into obsession...

Obsession turns into phobia...

Then, you feel silly for entertaining a phobia altogether.

REPEAT

Of course, there will be variations, but this is to highlight the cycles that the Enemy would exploit to keep you in unhealthy fear. If you want to break the cycle, perhaps find the similar cycle in your life, and then BREAK IT, or ADD SOMETHING to manipulate the "code/cycle": The Word of God does this. The red text is meant to break the cycle at its respective place of assault with Truth.

Morning Prayer, and real "talking" to God like a son talks to his Father. (This heavily retards the confidence of the enemy from the beginning.)
The Enemy makes you feel silly for what you think is agoraphobia. This can be accomplished through other people, feelings, etc...
"For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,

Young men likewise exhort to be sober minded.

In all things shewing thyself a pattern of good works: in doctrine shewing uncorruptness, gravity, sincerity,

Sound speech, that cannot be condemned; that he that is of the contrary part may be ashamed, having no evil thing to say of you.

Exhort servants to be obedient unto their own masters, and to please them well in all things; not answering again; Not purloining, but shewing all good fidelity; that they may adorn the doctrine of God our Saviour in all things.

Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;

Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;

Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works." Titus 1:7-14

That guilt turns into worry: "Am I really doing something wrong?"

"My son, eat honey, for it is good, and the drippings of the honeycomb are sweet to your taste. Know that wisdom is such to your soul; if you find it, there will be a future, and your hope will not be cut off." Proverbs 24:13-14

"Trust in the Lord, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:5-6

(!) "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled, and do not be afraid." John 4:27

That worry turns into frustration.

Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10

"I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.” John 16:33

"And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up." Galatians 6:9

"Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing." James 1:2-4

Frustration turns into embarrassment.

Remember: "Those who oppress the poor (finance and spirit) insult their Maker, but helping the poor honors him." Proverbs 14:31

Remember:
"But the LORD reigns forever, executing judgment from his throne. He will judge the world with justice and rule the nations with fairness. The LORD is a shelter for the oppressed, a refuge in times of trouble. Those who know your name trust in you, for you, O LORD, do not abandon those who search for you."
Psalms 9:7-10

Embarrassment turns into obsession...

"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things." Philippians 4:8

"And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” John 8:32

"I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me (Christ) you can do nothing." John 15:5

Obsession turns into phobia...

"For I am the Lord, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you." Isaiah 41:13

"Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you." Deuteronomy 31:6

"For God gave us not a spirit of fearfulness; but of power and love and discipline." 2 Timothy 1:7

Then, you feel silly for entertaining a phobia altogether.

"Better is a little with the fear of the Lord than great treasure and trouble with it." Proverbs 15:16

"He gives power to the faint, and to him who has no might he increases strength." Isaiah 40:29

"Fear not, little flock, for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom." Luke 12:32

You can take any of these verses and read the full chapter/book for even more enrichment. In fact, that is encouraged.

Fight it with Truth, and the "other side" will tire and die out. The devil isn't "in you," but the Enemy is certainly exploiting anything it can to oppress you. The Truth will drive it out.

It is a fight - and a spiritual one. So, don't expect that you will immediately be phobia and "Devil" free. You could be - that is certainly a possibility directly proportional to faith. But, know that you may have to continuously try and break the code/drive out the enemy with Truth. It could take years. Either way, the other side will tire out and flee before you become fatigued.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ygrene Imref

Feb 21, 2017
New York, NY
✟70,839.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
I have a very light case of Agoraphobia, it's nothing serious. I used to love wide open spaces but now they just make me afraid. I'm an introvert, if that's a contributing factor.

I also used to love open spaces, but I was always an introvert.

Interesting how that works out. It is almost like introversion multiplies the cynicism of adulthood into compartmentalized - "managable" - spheres of aversion.

For example, when I was a kid I loved making friends with anyone. Now, my full introversion mentality only allows for me to accept people I thoroughly trust into my "inner circle." I never even had an "inner circle" when I was younger. I don't actually have a problem with it, and I like being "alone" (although, I wouldn't consider myself "lonely.")

Reactions: Clintos
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ygrene Imref

Feb 21, 2017
New York, NY
✟70,839.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
Thanks,

God can save me, He's all I got. I wish I could say that I am "content", but I am not.

I'm seeking professional advice, but it's not enough, Something is missing like a behavior therapist or a mentor of some sort.

I am going to add AA group to my church and bible study regime. I'm tryin to be my own behavior therapist because they do not cover it here in Canada on OHIP. So I want to learn to be my own cognitive behavioral therapist. I see a pshychiatrist but that is it as for a health care professional

Remember, simply asking God may work also. Asking Him directly may drive Him to place all those things you need in your life.

I still think you did a good step in asking your Family. We can also make appeals to our Father on your behalf. And, if enough of us "bother" Him about a fellow brother, He will eventually yield to us/you - what Father wouldn't?

• Agree
Upvote 0

Clintos

Feb 3, 2017
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
✟27,562.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
What if you don't get out in the world because it is an insane asylum in your opinion - but you "get out" with powerful influence and merit via conversations with real people on the internet?

This is what I am trying, sorry for the late response. I agree that the internet can be a great source for conversations and I learn a lot from my spiritual family here on CF. I wish I knew about this site before.

• Agree
Reactions: Ygrene Imref
Upvote 0

Clintos

Feb 3, 2017
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
✟27,562.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Introversion limits your interactions in the Western world. It can also have an affect on your finances, and life.

This is very true. I missed alot of life from being an introvert and it has affected every aspect of my life.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Clintos

Feb 3, 2017
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
✟27,562.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
So, finding the right company is just as important as assessing and managing your anxiety. Let me ask you a question: do you have NO problem conversing "ad nauseum" with people whom you feel you can thoroughly trust?

No I do not converse with people I trust, I am just a quite person that thinks a lot in his head. I have problems wither expressing how I feel or fear of expressing myself and not having a response so I just stay silent.

I am a very abrupt person and come accross as rude. sometime even on
the internet I have short repsonses because I have fear of being unguarded leaving me open to attack.

I'm reading a book at the moment that is called:

God Loves You, He always has-He always will. By DR. David Jeremiah

I hope to learn good stuff from it because I have Aspergers too which is a type of Autism, love is hard for me to express.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Upvote 0

Ygrene Imref

Feb 21, 2017
New York, NY
✟70,839.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
No I do not converse with people I trust, I am just a quite person that thinks a lot in his head. I have problems wither expressing how I feel or fear of expressing myself and not having a response so I just stay silent.

I am a very abrupt person and come accross as rude. sometime even on
the internet I have short repsonses because I have fear of being unguarded leaving me open to attack.

I'm reading a book at the moment that is called:

God Loves You, He always has-He always will. By DR. David Jeremiah

I hope to learn good stuff from it because I have Aspergers too which is a type of Autism, love is hard for me to express.

Yes it sounds like textbook Aspergers - a fringe autism.

Often times introversion <===> fringe autism, in that it seems persons who have certain key introvert traits also share key autism traits. I think this is more of a testament to the "greenness" of psychology, than an identification barometer.

From my experience, people with Aspergers are incredibly astute, but may not have the accepted social behavior that allows the majority to see the magnitude of their talent. That is unfortunate.

Is love really hard for you to express? Or, it is hard to express love in the way the world expects you to?

Upvote 0

Clintos

Feb 3, 2017
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
✟27,562.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Clintos

Do you work ? :)

I work a few hours a day and collect disability. I would like to work 8 hours a day thou, but it is hard with my schizo affective,agoraphobia,aspergers, major depression, and anxieties. But if anyone treats me right and offers me work I will not deny it and give it a try. I feel I am almost ready to be off of disability just need to find the right path such as going to school or volunteering for awhile to upgrade my resume.

Upvote 0

Clintos

Feb 3, 2017
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
✟27,562.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Yes it sounds like textbook Aspergers - a fringe autism.

Often times introversion <===> fringe autism, in that it seems persons who have certain key introvert traits also share key autism traits. I think this is more of a testament to the "greenness" of psychology, than an identification barometer.

From my experience, people with Aspergers are incredibly astute, but may not have the accepted social behavior that allows the majority to see the magnitude of their talent. That is unfortunate.

Is love really hard for you to express? Or, it is hard to express love in the way the world expects you to?

Yes love is hard for me to express but I am getting better at it. I try to do what I can with what I have and may not laugh a lot and hug people alot but I have a good heart and only the people closest to me know.

Upvote 0