• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Aging is a bit weird

Discussion in 'MILLENNIALS (1981 to 1998)' started by Just A Disciple, Jul 23, 2021.

1. Just A Disciple

Just A Disciple New Member

+12
    United States
    Methodist
    Married
    We're no longer the fun generation to write news articles about it seems. Seems we're skewing a lot more conservative as we get older (because it seems politics in general is moving more left). Hearing liberal talking points from 10 years ago as standard fare on Fox News is a bit of a head spin.

Hard to keep up with new lingo Gen Z is using. Good music is now a 'banger', or 'slaps'. Seems like rock music has disappeared as a popular medium. Things parents said as a kid makes more sense, the Bible seems way more wise than I thought when I was a kid.

What are things about getting older have you not expected/thought are weird?

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Prayers Prayers x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. dzheremi

dzheremi Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian

+11,792
    Oriental Orthodox
    Private
    Uh...both my parents died. That was weird. I was hoping I would at least be in my 40s by the time that happened, but nope. 14 (mom) and 37 (dad). There was a lot of stuff around dealing with a parent's passing that I found a bit overwhelming, since I was just a kid when it happened the first time, so the adults around me dealt with all that stuff then. It's good to know, I guess, but I'm glad I don't have to go through it ever again.

Politics have gotten a lot more acerbic and gross-feeling. I don't feel good about voting basically ever, and the way that political things involve so much walking on eggshells has really convinced me that we in the USA are in what amounts to an abusive relationship with our own political system.

I don't know a single person in Gen Z on an individual level. I only have one friend who is even in their 20s. The rest are within about 4 years of my own age (38), with very few exceptions. I assume that this is a consequence of getting older and aging out of cool young people stuff. Where would I even interact with young people anyway, even if I felt comfortable doing so? At some college party where they'd probably assume I'm a narc cos I'm like 15-20 years older than all of them? Ugh. No thanks.

I care a lot more about quality friendships rather than just having someone around to talk to to distract myself from loneliness or whatever. I guess I've become more introspective. In religion, as well, I've not exactly had an easy time of things (there aren't a lot of Americans of non-Egyptian/Sudanese/Libyan background in the Coptic Orthodox Church...yet), but I feel more at home now than I did when I was younger and having to go to Protestant churches, or even later in my 20s when I made the decision to be a Roman Catholic. I've taken a lot of inspiration from the Desert Fathers and Mothers and their simple but profound stories, and found the Bible and related parts of the faith a lot more rewarding and filling once untethered from both radical subjectivity and one-dimensional and colorless literalism.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Nithavela

Nithavela Cool catchphrase goes here

+15,522
    Germany
    Other Religion
    Single
    The only news articles I've ever seen about the millenials is that they're not having enough children and not buying enough diamonds.

4. Joined2krist

Joined2krist Well-Known Member CF Ambassadors Supporter

+1,625
    Catholic
    Single
    As a Christian, I'm used to not following trending stuff so to me everything is still the same

5. look4hope

look4hope Love.Fellowship.Joy Supporter

+1,661
    Lutheran
    Private
    Been told aging is just part of life and should just feel grateful for being alive this long. Hey...I’m totally grateful, and thankful. However, it don’t minimize the whole part of not looking forward to dying...slowly.

I’m in my 30s. Would this change in my 40s? I don’t know :p

6. Sunshinee777

Sunshinee777 Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,427
    Finland
    Pentecostal
    Single
    Well I never thought that I would spend my 30’s reading bible instead of endless bar hopping and dating/dating apps.
    And other thing is that I never thought that I would be still single / not married. I think aging is much to do with general attitudes towards life, like I think if you can be positive and curious about life and also take care yourself you stay fresh. It’s in the mind most of it. You can feel young even you get older.

7. Sebastian154

Sebastian154 New Member

+19
    United States
    Catholic
    Celibate
    US-Others
    I honestly feel like the country is going to split apart along the lines of red and blue states. It seems like the people of America are no longer able to amicably get along despite their political differences. The level of disparity between a right leaning person and a left leaning person in this country now means that we'd probably be better off with two separate countries, as regardless of what happens at the federal level in DC, 50% of the country is going to be unhappy about it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. look4hope

look4hope Love.Fellowship.Joy Supporter

+1,661
    Lutheran
    Private
    @Sebastian154
    You’re so darn correct on all of it. Thanks for sharing something I had in mind as well :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. anna ~ grace

anna ~ grace Newbie Supporter

+11,475
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Yes, aging is kind of weird. I guess, though, I’m also happier and more comfortable with myself than I was before. I’ve phased out of hyper-evangelicalism, and I’m chiller now. And quieter, at least off-line. Like Dzheremi, I’ve taken more cues from quieter, lonelier Saints, learned to panic less and pray more, talk less, and hopefully listen more, and take inventory of myself more seriously. It’s better.

I still kind of hate the all my music is now “classic”, though. That does stink a little.

10. Sunshinee777

Sunshinee777 Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,427
    Finland
    Pentecostal
    Single
    I do wish my country would split apart to those who care humanrights and those who care ”security” over humanrights. I think this will be the case.

11. Nithavela

Nithavela Cool catchphrase goes here

+15,522
    Germany
    Other Religion
    Single
    The problem is that there are a lot of right leaning people in blue states, and a lot of left leaning people in red states, as well as places in a state where the political minority is a majority. For example, while Texas is very republican leaning, houston is very democratic, and overall the difference in the 2020 presidential election between Trump and Biden was only 5 percent for the state.

Surely you don't suggest that one third of your country just throw their lifes away and move to a state that conforms to their political view, right?

12. Just A Disciple

Just A Disciple New Member

+12
    United States
    Methodist
    Married
    It's a different (worse) matter altogether when they start popping up on the oldies station.