washington state
✟4,680.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
hi everyone I hope some one can help. I a new believer In Jesus.
but for Christmas I gave my 7 year old daughter a childrens version of the bible. she is very curios, however my husband and I are wondering about something we have heard . the age of reasoning and what is it. from what I understand but cannot find it in the bible is that children will reach a certain age that they will be held accountable for there sins? is that correct? and can some help me find this concept in the bible? ,my daughter and are studying the bible together and we also pray together. any additional advice will be very welcomed.:) we will be joining a church soon thankyou:)

ephraimanesti

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Seattle, WA
✟23,171.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
greenjeans said:
but for Christmas I gave my 7 year old daughter a childrens version of the bible. she is very curios, however my husband and I are wondering about something we have heard . the age of reasoning and what is it. from what I understand but cannot find it in the bible is that children will reach a certain age that they will be held accountable for there sins? is that correct? and can some help me find this concept in the bible? ,my daughter and are studying the bible together and we also pray together. any additional advice will be very welcomed.:) we will be joining a church soon thankyou:)

MY DEAR SISTER IN CHRIST,

i understand your question regarding "The Age of Reason" as i have heard this idea many times before. i do not believe it is from the Bible but is rather based on Jewish Tradition that at age 13 a male child becomes accountable before God. In the Dictionary, it states under "bar mitzvah", "A thirteen-year-old male, considered an adult and thenceforth responsible for his moral and religious duties." i don't know if there are other traditions besides this, but none are Christian to the best of my knowledge.
In any event, probably the most important Scripture for your situation, is: "TEACH A YOUTH ABOUT THE WAY HE (OR SHE) SHOULD GO; EVEN WHEN HE (OR SHE) IS OLD HE (OR SHE) WILL NOT DEPART FROM IT." (Proverbs 22:6) It sounds like you are doing an excellent job in this regard already! Keep on, keeping on! Just be sure that you and your husband model what you teach.

MANY BLESSINGS UPON YOU AND YOUR FAMILY,

ephraimanesti

Upvote 0

greenjeans

Psalm 32
Dec 9, 2005
washington state
✟4,680.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
ephraimanesti said:
MY DEAR SISTER IN CHRIST,

i understand your question regarding "The Age of Reason" as i have heard this idea many times before. i do not believe it is from the Bible but is rather based on Jewish Tradition that at age 13 a male child becomes accountable before God. In the Dictionary, it states under "bar mitzvah", "A thirteen-year-old male, considered an adult and thenceforth responsible for his moral and religious duties." i don't know if there are other traditions besides this, but none are Christian to the best of my knowledge.
In any event, probably the most important Scripture for your situation, is: "TEACH A YOUTH ABOUT THE WAY HE (OR SHE) SHOULD GO; EVEN WHEN HE (OR SHE) IS OLD HE (OR SHE) WILL NOT DEPART FROM IT." (Proverbs 22:6) It sounds like you are doing an excellent job in this regard already! Keep on, keeping on! Just be sure that you and your husband model what you teach.

MANY BLESSINGS UPON YOU AND YOUR FAMILY,

ephraimanesti
thankyou so much that was really helpful. my husband and I are trying are best to be good models, we are new to our beliefs and I'm sure we will experince some bumps. thank you for your wonderful words. god bless you.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I was raised in a Christian home so I was given a Bible to read as far back as I can remember. It was one of the things that my parents used to teach me to read, I think.

The "age of reason" or the "age of accountability" is hinted at but never spelled out. It comes from Isaiah 7:15-16:

"He will eat curds and honey when he knows enough to reject the wrong and choose the right. But before the boy knows enough to reject the wrong and choose the right, the land of the two kings you dread will be laid waste."

That's as close as the Bible gets to such an age. It is never spelled out, probably because it varies along with individual maturity.

Upvote 0
W

WashedClean

Greenjeans - you and your husband are very blessed to have found your faith in Jesus together. I'm still praying for my husband, so count this as a huge blessing! :clap:

I don't have too much to add, but just continue to expose your daughter to the Lord. Children are very curious and much more likely to accept Jesus than an adult who already is set in their ways. The most important thing is to live out your faith before her, obeying God and reverencing Him in all things. She will be drawn to Jesus through you. :amen:

God bless and welcome to the family!

WashedClean

Upvote 0

Im-revived

Working for God, through our Lord.
May 5, 2005
England
✟7,494.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
UK-Labour
I have a feeling that what you are wondering and particularly have heard, is really the question off:-

When can a child understand what being saved is? and
At what age can a child be saved?

You for example have a 7 yr old and maybe for the first time is learning about Jesus in a child hood basic fashion, but its still the same as an adults bible. What you need to do as parents is help your daughter learn about Jesus, about forgiveness, about him dying for us and why, also by explaining what sins are aswell as what we do to follow Christ. You know your daughter, you know how fast she learns, only you know how to word it to her, and only you know when you feel shes ready to take that step of faith. Faith is another thing to teach her, what it means etc. To be honest she sounds like she is ready now. Ask her if she wants to walk with God and explain everything shing it means, then let her decide.

Secondly there is no age limit whatsoever on when to become a Christian. But through God and praying as a family you as parents need to guide her rightly. God will help you with this. Also the sooner you get into a church the better as you all need Christian Fellowship and your daughter will make new Christian friends etc.:pray:
greenjeans said:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.