Age of Accountability - scriptural foundation and a few questions?

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
1. What are the scriptural references used to show an age of accountability?

2. And if you hold to this belief, would you say that it basically means that anyone who dies (God forbid) before reaching that age is guaranteed salvation, regardless of any other factor?

3. Is it a set age, or does it vary, and if so, what factors determine the age for each person?

4. Is this a blanket covering for those who are unable to otherwise pursue their own salvation - such as mentally infantile?

Thanks for replies!

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

2. And if you hold to this belief, would you say that it basically means that anyone who dies (God forbid) before reaching that age is guaranteed salvation, regardless of any other factor?

3. Is it a set age, or does it vary, and if so, what factors determine the age for each person?

4. Is this a blanket covering for those who are unable to otherwise pursue their own salvation - such as mentally infantile?

Thanks for replies!

1. Numbers 14:28Say to them, ‘As I live,’ says the LORD, ‘just as you have spoken in My hearing, so I will surely do to you; 29your corpses will fall in this wilderness, even all your numbered men, according to your complete number from twenty years old and upward, who have grumbled against Me.

2. People who give up everything will receive eternal dwellings. People who make friends with the first group using unrighteous mammon will be welcomed into their eternal dwellings. So the probability of a graded reward is already taught. People who die before they reach majority (scientifically proved that the frontal lobes of adolescents are not fully developed, making them incapable of mature comprehension of important issues like morality, enabling eligibilty for immunity, seen in laws formed to protect minors from prosecution) therefore receive no punishment, but have no part in Christ's work and reward. Kinda like angels.

3. Twenty is the age for army service for the Israelites, thirty for cohens to minister. Jesus's time had not come to minister at Cana, but Mary's faith had primacy over law.

4. Mental handicap, immature development sweeps you straight into the Kingdom, but without empowerment, abilty to be disciples. Paradoxically, you have to become like a child, depend totally on Christ, put all your belief in Him, if you want to become a disciple.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
1. Numbers 14:28Say to them, ‘As I live,’ says the LORD, ‘just as you have spoken in My hearing, so I will surely do to you; 29your corpses will fall in this wilderness, even all your numbered men, according to your complete number from twenty years old and upward, who have grumbled against Me.

2. People who give up everything will receive eternal dwellings. People who make friends with the first group using unrighteous mammon will be welcomed into their eternal dwellings. So the probability of a graded reward is already taught. People who die before they reach majority (scientifically proved that the frontal lobes of adolescents are not fully developed, making them incapable of mature comprehension of important issues like morality, enabling eligibilty for immunity, seen in laws formed to protect minors from prosecution) therefore receive no punishment, but have no part in Christ's work and reward. Kinda like angels.

3. Twenty is the age for army service for the Israelites, thirty for cohens to minister. Jesus's time had not come to minister at Cana, but Mary's faith had primacy over law.

4. Mental handicap, immature development sweeps you straight into the Kingdom, but without empowerment, abilty to be disciples. Paradoxically, you have to become like a child, depend totally on Christ, put all your belief in Him, if you want to become a disciple.

Thank you, those were some interesting points that you brought out.

So you would say then, that anyone who dies before reaching 20 years old is not responsible and will have salvation (ie. avoid punishment) regardless? Or do I misunderstand you?

Thanks again. :)

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,928,887.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

There are none that I know of. I believe the only passage that seems to suggest that infants and children will be saved apart from faith is found in 2 Samuel, but it's sketchy at best. It says:
David's servants said to him, "What is this thing that you have done? While the child was alive, you fasted and wept; but when the child died, you arose and ate food." He said, "While the child was still alive, I fasted and wept; for I said, ‘Who knows, the Lord may be gracious to me, that the child may live.’ "But now he has died; why should I fast? Can I bring him back again? I will go to him, but he will not return to me." 2 Samuel 12:21-23

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
There are none that I know of. I believe the only passage that seems to suggest that infants and children will be saved apart from faith is found in 2 Samuel, but it's sketchy at best. It says:
David's servants said to him, "What is this thing that you have done? While the child was alive, you fasted and wept; but when the child died, you arose and ate food." He said, "While the child was still alive, I fasted and wept; for I said, ‘Who knows, the Lord may be gracious to me, that the child may live.’ "But now he has died; why should I fast? Can I bring him back again? I will go to him, but he will not return to me." 2 Samuel 12:21-23

Thank you, St. Worm.

At least is does appear that David is thinking along those lines, though it's impossible (or at least imprudent!) to draw too many conclusions from that passage. Still, I consider it a comfort in some situations.

I was not thinking of that passage when I asked the question, but that thinking DOES bear on the question, I suppose. :) Thank you!

Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you, those were some interesting points that you brought out.

So you would say then, that anyone who dies before reaching 20 years old is not responsible and will have salvation (ie. avoid punishment) regardless? Or do I misunderstand you?

Thanks again. :)

Below 20, the children were not culpable and entered the Promised Land. A kind of salvation. A type for children entering heaven if they die then, because they are not mentally competent.

Numbers 14:21'Your children, however, whom you said would become a prey-- I will bring them in, and they will know the land which you have rejected.

Below 20, parents are penalized for their children's misdemeanors:

John9:18The Jews then did not believe it of him, that he had been blind and had received sight, until they called the parents of the very one who had received his sight, 19and questioned them, saying, “Is this your son, who you say was born blind? Then how does he now see?” 20His parents answered them and said, “We know that this is our son, and that he was born blind; 21but how he now sees, we do not know; or who opened his eyes, we do not know. Ask him; he is of age, he will speak for himself.” 22His parents said this because they were afraid of the Jews; for the Jews had already agreed that if anyone confessed Him to be Christ, he was to be put out of the synagogue. 23For this reason his parents said, “He is of age; ask him.”

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

None. God is not a respecter of persons and shows no partiality.

N/A since I don't hold to this theology.

I think it is a well-intended way to excuse these people and others in similar circumstances because its adherents don't understand or accept the orthodox Christian theology on faith and grace.

Thanks for replies!

No problem!

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟66,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Thanks for replies!

1) 12-13 years of age (Lk 2:42, 8:42)

2) Have to have at least one Christian parent (1 Cor. 7:14, Titus 1:15) (the others will await the general resurrection)

3) Chronological age

4) See above.

Upvote 0

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
1) 12-13 years of age (Lk 2:42, 8:42)

2) Have to have at least one Christian parent (1 Cor. 7:14, Titus 1:15) (the others will await the general resurrection)

3) Chronological age

4) See above.
Please show how this belief conforms to sola fide.

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0
G

GratiaCorpusChristi

None. God is not a respecter of persons and shows no partiality.

I think it is a well-intended way to excuse these people and others in similar circumstances because its adherents don't understand or accept the orthodox Christian theology on faith and grace.

No problem!

This.

There is simply no scriptural passage one can find.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lion King

Veni, vidi, vici
Mar 29, 2011
Heavenly Jerusalem- Mount Zion
✟10,388.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

Babies are like a pre-fall Adam in the sense that both do not have knowledge of good and evil (Deuteronomy 1:34-40, Isaiah 7:13-17, 1 Corinthians 14:20). As infants are not yet able to choose between good and evil, the LORD considers them as innocent, just as He once did Adam and Eve.

Yes.

All infants will enter and possess the land promised to Abraham (New Jerusalem), simply because they have no knowledge of good and evil. God will not hold their sins against them.

Blessed are the children and those like them, for theirs is the Kingdom of God.

I dunno whether the age varies or is fixed, but during the exodus from Egypt, the LORD allowed all Israelites under the age of twenty years old to enter the promised land (Numbers 14:28-30). He did not hold their sins against them as He did the adults including Moses.

Yes.

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

If we gotta win salvation, we are doomed.

Oh we must cooperate with God, live in constant reconciliation, and our faith must bear good fruit, certainly, but without trust, which is completely unintellectual or comprehending, we are doomed. Doomed doomed doomed.

If newborns can instinctively trust their mothers, surely God can be trusted even more, and surely He is capable of making Himself known even to these.

I thank God for my parents that brought me to Jesus at 2 months old, right on the day.

Reactions: Dorothea
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

VolRaider

Dec 18, 2010
Athens, TN
✟17,538.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
If we gotta win salvation, we are doomed.

Oh we must cooperate with God, live in constant reconciliation, and our faith must bear good fruit, certainly, but without trust, which is completely unintellectual or comprehending, we are doomed. Doomed doomed doomed.

If newborns can instinctively trust their mothers, surely God can be trusted even more, and surely He is capable of making Himself known even to these.

I thank God for my parents that brought me to Jesus at 2 months old, right on the day.

:amen:

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Who thinks ya gotta win salvation? What's that got to do with the OP?

"Too young to comprehend? No problem; that merits you salvation"

Reverse Gnosticism. Let's stick with Christianity.

Upvote 0
G

GratiaCorpusChristi

Why did God not hold those under twenty in the Assembly of God's People culpable and let them enter the Promised Land?

There is a difference between holding persons legally accountable for the crimes of an entire people and regarding individuals as part of a community. American individuals under a certain age are not accountable for certain actions, but that doesn't make them citizens of Turkmenistan.

Upvote 0