Age gaps.

emixt

Oct 14, 2010
✟253.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm curious about how different people feel, and it seems as though there's a plenty big sample of ages on the Singles forum, so I want to ask about age gaps.

What do you feel is the minimum acceptable age to date somebody who is:

• 5 years older than you?
  • 10 years older than you?
  • 15 years older than you?

"You", of course, being because English isn't the best language for "everybody/anybody, but that doesn't flow in a sentence".

FaithPrevails

May 7, 2006
Far, far away from here
✟18,154.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Good question. :)

18-22 is good for 5 yrs older
22-30 for 10 yrs older
30+ for 15 yrs older

Of course, I say that and I dated a 19 yr old when I was 14, a 32 yr old when I was 19, and am now attached to someone 8 years younger. :p

Age is really just a number - there are so many other factors to consider.

Upvote 0

Blank123

Legend
Dec 6, 2003
✟56,875.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
for me it tends to be a dealbreaker if he's old enough to be my father. I might consider someone 10 years older than me if we really connected, but I'm not sure how likely that is since we'd probably be in different life stages.

I'm not sure how much younger than myself I'd date. perhaps 22 if he were mature enough. Its a bit dicey to date too much younger than that since many of those guys will still be in their highschool state of mind.

Upvote 0

sampa

Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
Midwest
✟124,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Good question. :)

18-22 is good for 5 yrs older
22-30 for 10 yrs older
30+ for 15 yrs older

Of course, I say that and I dated a 19 yr old when I was 14, a 32 yr old when I was 19, and am now attached to someone 8 years younger. :p

Age is really just a number - there are so many other factors to consider.
I'm kindof here with faith, but as I've been getting older it seems to be fluctuating. And I don't know if a relationship could work for me longterm if someone is 15years younger. Some of it I think is with preference.

I recently met a married couple that seem happy, both are extremely cute and gorgeous. The girl is 44yrs old (Japanese) and the guy (American) is 32yrs old. They met when she was 37 and he was 25. She looks 24yr though, while he looks 27. Could you follow that?

Last edited:
Reactions: FaithPrevails
Upvote 0

MacFall

Agorist
Nov 24, 2007
Western Pennsylvania, USA
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'd say it's the maturity level, not the age, that matters. Naturally, it will be more difficult to find two people of similar maturity levels the further apart their respective ages are, and obviously no full adult should marry an adolescent, no matter how mature they are. But nevertheless, I don't agree with setting an arbitrary number as a standard.

Upvote 0

PinkSweetart

Robots and rainbows, magic and mischief! ;)
Jan 27, 2008
:) <--- This smiley likes you.
✟34,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Age really doesn't matter to me. Maybe I wouldn't date anyone old enough to be my father. But really, age doesn't bother me. If you "click" you "click" lol. I'm pretty sure my parents would agree differently though, and even though my uncle and aunt are 10 years apart, I don't think they'd allow me to date anyone older then 7 years. Well, maybe my mom would, but my dad woudn't. :p

Upvote 0

Trashionista

Jun 10, 2007
The Copacabana
✟9,243.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Liberals
There's some pretty hot older men out there. I can't say I'd nessecarily say no if someone the likes of Anthony Bourdain came onto me...

Generally, though, I wouldn't go much over 35 or below 19. I'd generally take a younger man (I'm practising for my later years as a Cougar), over someone who was 35, though. 21-29 would be my 'preferred' range, though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Obzocky

Senior Contributor
Dec 24, 2009
Rain Land
✟33,236.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single

Goodness gracious, i'd have to say the age of consent. Why? Because I don't think there's a limit on love or dating other than the one an individual imposes upon themselves. I'm not the best judge of age gaps and acceptability though.

Upvote 0

ks777

Start singing
May 8, 2009
Other world
✟16,650.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
I wanted to make a thread just like this a while ago! But procratination got the better of me.

I guess it depends on what you call 'dating'. I don't think there's an age limit to friendship, so two people that enjoy each other's company and like to hang out and do things together could be any age if you ask me... Generally people around the same age have similar interests, and more common ground to make a good friendship, but this certainly doesn't have to be the case.

If the two people are dating as in an exlcusive relationship, going to the movies together, going out for dinner, etc. but nothing really more, then I would say the minimum ages is about 14-19, 20-30, 30-45. Once you bring the relationship to a different leval and bring sexual activites into it, then I feel the age limit should be a lot higher than 14 for a 5 year gap; make it atleast 18-23. Of course you wouldn't have to worry about that last sentence if both parties wanted to abstain from sexual acts before marriage, so in that case it doesn't apply.

I met a girl online in 09 who is 5 years older than me (4 and a bit...) when I was almost 19 and she just turned 14, so maybe I have some bias there. Before you think I'm some kind of online predator, I thought she was 18 for the longest time. I forgave her for lying to me though, the internet can be a dangerous place, especially for young females. I still say she's smarter and more mature than me though. By looking at her I never would have guessed she'd be so young. When I'm talking to her I naturally forget about the age difference since she's so mature.

Basically I don't think age is too much of an issue... my friends 15 year old friend is going out with a 24 year old though, I always thought that was a bit suss... especially since they've been going out for atleast a year. In particularly because he's 24, I thought he'd have expectations of sex in a relationship but apparently they still haven't done anything like that, not that it's any of my business, but if that's the case I don't see a problem with the age gap. I just hate older males taking advantage of young females sexually. If two people with vastly different ages want to be together, then so be it. But don't encourage her to do something she's not ready or willing to do. Or else KS will run you down with his car :)

Upvote 0
T

TanteBelle

I'd say it's the maturity level, not the age, that matters. Naturally, it will be more difficult to find two people of similar maturity levels the further apart their respective ages are, and obviously no full adult should marry an adolescent, no matter how mature they are. But nevertheless, I don't agree with setting an arbitrary number as a standard.

Yes, the maturity level should be more important than simply what the age gap is. But for me personally, I'd need to marry someone who was by age older than me. A limit of 1 and an absolute max of 15 years older than me. And I don't agree with dating/courting until you are ready for marriage! Or as the age that scripture has as marital age ... 20!

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
for me it tends to be a dealbreaker if he's old enough to be my father. I might consider someone 10 years older than me if we really connected, but I'm not sure how likely that is since we'd probably be in different life stages.

I'm not sure how much younger than myself I'd date. perhaps 22 if he were mature enough. Its a bit dicey to date too much younger than that since many of those guys will still be in their highschool state of mind.
darth_vader-0.jpg

Upvote 0

Amber.ly

Predictably eccentric and honestly hypocritical
Mar 1, 2010
Gone- PM if you need me
✟22,486.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well I recently refused to consider a guy who was two years younger than me. For myself, I just don't like the idea of a younger guy. Where we are at in life is so different, I just didn't see it working. And I think my mental limit for older guys is probably 7 years max.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Wren

Dec 19, 2006
PNW
✟33,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
5 years older than you?
10 years older than you?
15 years older than you?

I'm uncomfortable with an adult dating a minor (although a 17 year old and an 18 year old would be an exception to that, since it's only a one year age difference). Otherwise, I'd say that 5 years seems like a good age gap 'til about 26. At 26, it seems that there is more maturity and a 10 year age gap would be fine. I guess I'd say that beginning at 30 years old a 15 year age gap wouldn't be that big of a deal and there shouldn't be too large of a gap in maturity and such, but honestly, a 15 year age gap squicks me out a little for myself.

Keep in mind that these are loose guidelines I have in my head and I generally don't get overly concerned about age gaps between people, unless it seems predatory (like a person in his/her 20s with a minor teenager or a person 35+ with someone under 25). Obviously not everyone fits my mental guidelines so neatly and there are cases where age gaps that I don't consider ideal that work out just fine for both parties.

Strictly for myself, I used to prefer to date someone within 5 years of my own age. Then, I dated someone 10 years older and the age difference wasn't a problem at all. In fact, that relationship helped expand my ideal age gap, which is now up to 10 years older (and the man being no younger than 26). 15 years older just seems too old for me right now.

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
18-21 years old: within 1-2 years
22-25 years old: within 2-3 years
26-30 years old: within 3-4 years
31 and up: no more than 5 years younger, no limit on the older, but try not to be pervy (people old enough to be your parents or young enough to be your kids)

I'm currently 33 and would like to meet someone between 35 and 55. I like older.

Upvote 0

Wren

Dec 19, 2006
PNW
✟33,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I think the rule goes that the minimum is 1/2 your age + 7. For me that's 22.5 as minimum age woman I can date.

Sorry to all you 22.4 y/o women...

I've heard that rule a lot and don't think much of it, to be honest. There's no way I'm dating a 23 year old.

Reactions: ceh85
Upvote 0