Aug 27, 2012
United States of America
✟41,078.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Let's go back on topic, I agree.

I think others have said pretty much everything I can think of on this subject.

I do know that we don't view the saints as coming to a point in time in their lives when they just automatically do everything perfectly and are completely sinless. Some of our greatest saints said on their deathbeds that they have not repented enough.
Also, while we should be kind and loving to everyone, the original spirit behind modern Judaism is anti Christian. Modern Rabbinic Judaism is Christ denying, and finds its identity wrapped around that denial. Sure, they keep many of the correct beliefs about God, and I personally would put them in a different, albeit similar category, from Islam, but they are very much against Orthodox Christianity from a spiritual perspective.

Upvote 0

Shieldmaiden4Christ

Eastward bound
Aug 28, 2013
Where the Wild Things Are
✟16,564.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Another thing I don't understand is the love affair between fundamentalist Christians and the Israeli state. Sure, Islam is dangerous, but what's the point of destabilizing that region by continuing to over support Israel?

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think it's a "what's done is done" approach. Let's face it, America wasn't head over heels in love with Jews back in the 1940's when the State of Israel was established! America was much more anti-Semitic and NOWHERE would you hear Evangelicals going butt wild crazy over Jews. But, if you look at how the West helped establish Israel at the expense of the Palestinians and other folks, after a while the Muslims reacted to Western foreign policy with the rise of terrorism and chaos. America and the UK supported guys like Hussein and Mubarrak and other secular dudes, set up the Shah, and babied dictators talking out of both sides of its mouth. Terrorism really came full force in the 1970's and the hostage crisis entered the scene then blowing up airliners and other nonsense. The Americans had no choice but to baby Israel, our ONLY FRIEND in that area! "What's done is done." We may not have loved Jews in the 1940's, but we better get cozy now because they're the only buddy we've got! They're the only civilized bunch in the area. That part of the world is barbaric and primitive, violent and nuts. Militarily we're in bed with Israel. As an extension of patriotism and the need to have a good guy vs. bad guy thing, evangelicals have adopted this zionist stuff. My take anyway...

Another thing I don't understand is the love affair between fundamentalist Christians and the Israeli state. Sure, Islam is dangerous, but what's the point of destabilizing that region by continuing to over support Israel?

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
The "West" helped established Israel, and Syria and Jordan as well. Israel actually got the least amount of land. Any Arab refugees were to go into Jordan, but after the deal Jordan refused...THAT is what caused the refugee problem, not Israel. Your revisionism is showing. The rest I agree with.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

Islamists are doing a great job of destabilization all by themselves! I don't see Jews beheading Christians left and right...

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,184.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Terrorism really came full force in the 1970's and the hostage crisis entered the scene then blowing up airliners and other nonsense.

Do you mean this only in an American context? Because I'm pretty sure there was plenty of terrorism before that time. Terrorism via groups like the Irgun (the precursor to today's Likud) was used openly in the founding of the state of Israel.

The Americans had no choice but to baby Israel, our ONLY FRIEND in that area!

Why?

They're the only civilized bunch in the area.

Hmmm. And yet before its own civil war (largely the result of religious and ethnic tensions brought to a boil by the presence and social conditions of masses of Palestinian refugees the country was unequipped to handle), Lebanon was considered "the Paris of the Middle East". Kinda seems like supporting Israel did nothing but make the region and the United States for its part in things much worse off. And it continues to do so, no matter what rationalizations are found for it.

That part of the world is barbaric and primitive, violent and nuts.

And yet it is the cradle of our faith. Go figure.

I would go so far as it say that it is better to be barbaric, primitive, violent and nuts Middle Eastern/North African Christian than a politically shrewd patriotic American Evangelical. The latter simply outsource their barbarity and violence via proxy wars (Iraq and Syria now, before that Iraq and Iran, before that Iran, before that Lebanon, etc.), which isn't any better for the people on the ground, only perhaps cleaner for those voting from far away to send more weapons to our 'friends' (terrorists) there.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Shieldmaiden4Christ

Eastward bound
Aug 28, 2013
Where the Wild Things Are
✟16,564.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I gotta agree with @dzheremi on this one.

Although my concentration in my major was bioanthropology, we still had to take classes in a cultural area. My focus area was on the Middle East. So I took four semesters of Modern Standard Arabic, Middle Eastern Cultures, Islamic Cultures, History of the Middle East, History of Islam, Arabic Literature in Translation, etc. Two of my professors for these courses were Muslim (the first two semesters of MSA and the courses on Islam), three were Christian. They seemed pretty much in agreement with the idea that the establishment of Israel destabilized a region that was already very unstable; really, the establishment of Israel just worsened the effects of the volatility in the region because of the fall of the Ottoman Empire and the bizarre, arbitrary carving up of its territory.

Reactions: dzheremi
Upvote 0

topcare

The Eucharist is Life
Apr 8, 2014
✟12,064.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
no, I just prefer to use the Name His mother Miriam gave Him when He was born In Judea...if you can only pay attention if I use Jesus, you will be missing out ;-)

Or you jewish or Christian? Since you here and it says Eastern Orthodox under your avatar than maybe you should talk like a Christian not a judaizer

Last edited:
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,179,070.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Or you jewish or Christian? Since you here and it says Eastern Orthodox under your avatar than maybe you should talk like a Christian not a judaizer
I don't think he talks like a judaizer. He just has his particular focus as do we all. As he seems pretty much set in his ways and wants to continue using the Aramaic name of our Lord, I don't see why we should make a big fuss about it. Surely we are all big enough to overlook some of the things others do which might annoy us.

My wife squeezes the toothpaste tube from the middle, for crying out loud. If I let that bother me (I squeeze from the end) then there would not be much depth to our relationship, so for that reason I chose a long time ago not to let it bother me.

Reactions: Gxg (G²)
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,179,070.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
He's not a wife and as others said he should respect this English forum and the English language.
If he chooses not to are we not able to respect his choice. Are we that small?

Upvote 0

topcare

The Eucharist is Life
Apr 8, 2014
✟12,064.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No were that big. To often respect is trampled and allowed to go on and than no one respects, it's all over society and many Churches. A little disrespect is allowed because hey we are not that small and than the floodgates open but like I said if you all don’t want respect here that is up to you all, this is your guys house I have no home here

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,464,127.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Another thing I don't understand is the love affair between fundamentalist Christians and the Israeli state

indeed, especially since Revelation calls the earthly Jerusalem Sodom and Egypt....

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,184.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
If he chooses not to are we not able to respect his choice. Are we that small?

It is not the biggest deal in the world, no. But it has worrying implications. Like the neophyte Muslim who insists on dropping "Allah" into every English conversation where we would say "God". You want to distance yourself from others by your language, fine, but this is not something that it's unreasonable to be irritated by. Randomly inserting foreign affectations into otherwise English conversations and then backing them up with pseudo-theological stances is alienating to other people who do not want to play your secret decoder ring version of Christianity or Judaism or whatever this is.

I mean, I like Coptic, but it doesn't belong here. (But even then, at least it belongs in a Church, unlike Hebrew, which can only reasonably be argued for in Israel proper, since that's the only place where Christians might speak it...and even then, only a certain subset of converts.) If I were to start referring to St. Mary as ethmav emefnouti on this board, and other people pointed out that this is distracting because we actually share a common language already and anyway this board is not about Coptic stuff, would an appropriate response be (essentially) "Yeah, I know, but I like saying it this way; get over it?" I don't think so. This can certainly be argued either way (it's not a big deal, get over it/it's distracting, inappropriate, and unncessary, please stop), but no matter how you argue it there's no denying that this is only an issue in the first place because one person insists on doing something odd that puts them outside of the communicative norms of the board, and then reacts as though its the others who are weird/just don't get it.

It's not weird to not want to engage in Hebrew/Aramaic name-worshiping on an English-language message board.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.