Not open for further replies.

His Disciple

Nov 1, 2015
✟520.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Um, Jesus was a JEW and His Name was Yeshua. Using "Jesus" would be Anglicizing His Name from the Greek "Iesous". Uh, Paul wrote in Greek so he wouldn't have written "God" in English. So, if you want to follow Paul's lead, you should use Greek...

If I'll be guilty of anything, it'll be anglicized language, at least when using English. I won't be guilty of judaized language or rabbinical emulation. I didn't mean Paul used English. I meant he didn't call Jesus Yeshua or drop vowels from references to God.

Why don't you use Y_sh__? Because Jews don't respect Jesus, you're not going to show respect for Jesus by leaving out vowels?

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
If I'll be guilty of anything, it'll be anglicized language, at least when using English. I won't be guilty of judaized language or rabbinical emulation. I didn't mean Paul used English. I meant he didn't call Jesus Yeshua or drop vowels from references to God.

Why don't you use Y_sh__? Because Jews don't respect Jesus, you're not going to show respect for Jesus by leaving out vowels?

Because we know His Name was Yeshua. Here is a link that you can better educate yourself with on the subject...you very obviously need it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetragrammaton

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟434,811.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Well, of all the languages and cultures ,Rusmeister , of those who need to learn that lesson most, it is the English, who have impose their lack of respect for other cultures everywhere they go .And the irony is, that you do not see that it is not a 'sacred language' ,but a mongrel one ,that is always adding to, and so cannot be harmed by adding yet another word from another culture .No one is asking us to speak another language , just teaching us something, which expands our vocabulary .
The reason English is dominant, apart from imperialist colonialism ,and trade, is that it 'grows' and adapts and changes , so what you are doing is against the pattern . It is not Native to the US it was imported by extreme violence .

Anyway I was interested in the thread about Jews and Saint John Crystosom(?) until we got diverted .
Saint John Crysostom . Must for respect of him and his family, write it correctly .

So what I'm getting from this is either that you reject in general the wisdom of "When in Rome..." Or you reject it specifically in regard to English speakers.
Ну ладно. Тогда пусть каждый заговорит, как ему захочется. К чёрту с нашими слушателями, если они не согласны во всём со всеми нашими мнениями. Менее воцерковлённый человек бы сказал, "Идите все вы на фиг!"

I am teaching you Russian right now. How do you like the unrequested lesson, and the condescension of that kind of "teaching"?

All languages have been imported and exported using violence. You cannot find a historically "violence-free" language. Colonialism doesn't matter now. We are not God, we cannot restore any historical justice; it is vain and futile to try to do so, and only perpetuates mutual hostility.

Are you truly sure that "I do not see "the mongrel nature" of language, English as well as others? How do you know that a professional language teacher and philologist doesn't know these things about his own language? Why do you think that a language should be indigenous to a geographical location in order to be acknowledged the legitimate common tongue?

I'm not meaning to seem hostile, but holy cow, I am an English teacher living in a non-English environment. It is my job to know these things; it is not armchair theory for me but my very life, and I feel that you are addressing me as an English speaker surrounded by English speakers that knows nothing of other languages and cultures.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟428,983.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Holy moly...some of the arguments being made about language in this thread are so stupid, it's almost hard to believe that people are being serious while typing them out.

Can we please drop this nonsense and get back to talking about anti-Jewish polemic in the writings/sermons of St. John Chrysostom? This is actually the less cringe-inducing of the two main topics being discussed here.

Reactions: MikeK
Upvote 0

fat wee robin

Jan 12, 2015
✟47,420.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So what I'm getting from this is either that you reject in general the wisdom of "When in Rome..." Or you reject it specifically in regard to English speakers.
Ну ладно. Тогда пусть каждый заговорит, как ему захочется. К чёрту с нашими слушателями, если они не согласны во всём со всеми нашими мнениями. Менее воцерковлённый человек бы сказал, "Идите все вы на фиг!"

I am teaching you Russian right now. How do you like the unrequested lesson, and the condescension of that kind of "teaching"?

All languages have been imported and exported using violence. You cannot find a historically "violence-free" language. Colonialism doesn't matter now. We are not God, we cannot restore any historical justice; it is vain and futile to try to do so, and only perpetuates mutual hostility.

Are you truly sure that "I do not see "the mongrel nature" of language, English as well as others? How do you know that a professional language teacher and philologist doesn't know these things about his own language? Why do you think that a language should be indigenous to a geographical location in order to be acknowledged the legitimate common tongue?

I'm not meaning to seem hostile, but holy cow, I am an English teacher living in a non-English environment. It is my job to know these things; it is not armchair theory for me but my very life, and I feel that you are addressing me as an English speaker surrounded by English speakers that knows nothing of other languages and cultures.
This is the last thing I am saying on this ,but it is you who brought up the idea of speaking a language because someone wanted to use an original name for Jesus .
I am not intending to address you at all ,and find the whole discussion completely illogical .I live myself in non English speaking countries and would never assume anything about you ;If you had given you nameas Russian for example would I have the right to insist on a French,Spanish or English version,or Gaelic for that matter ?No I don't think so .

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
We know God is spelled God. So, do you use G_D, but not Y_sh__?

We don't know Jesus name was Yeshua. The only name under heaven we're given is Iesous, or Jesus when anglicized.

Roll eyes...wow...just wow...
The name "Jesus" used in the English NT comes from the Latin form "Iesus" of the Greek name Ἰησοῦς (Iesous), a rendition of the original Hebrew "Yeshua" (ישוע).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2012
United States of America
✟41,078.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
All languages are mongrel. There is no "pure" language, whatever that means. And all peoples, at one time or another, have oppressed someone else. So lets stop that nonsense right now.

We could go back to the original topic if certain people who participate on this forum would stop this childish nonsense and write in English.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
"Roll eyes...wow...just wow..."

right, at the ones who come here throwing in Hebrew terms into an English speaking forum.

Again, you missed the point...right over your head again. I would not be the least surprised if you agreed with all of his posts LOL!

Reactions: fat wee robin
Upvote 0

fat wee robin

Jan 12, 2015
✟47,420.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Please ,, Rusmeister ,let's shake on it and agree that is not very important in comparison with the thread ?:ebil:

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
"Again, you missed the point"

no you're missing the point, but let me cut to the chase and tell you directly.

Stop using Hebrew terms and names on an English speaking forum.

Clear enough?

Redirect much LOL?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,295,375.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I'm inclined to agree with my fellow Brit here

This is once more getting a bit ridiculous - all because some folk are not playing nicely in the sand box.

Come on folk - this is not how TAW usually works

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
There's nothing more to say. If some people think "self-expression" - or "self-anything" - is more important than love of one's neighbor, they're off the Path.

Say what you will!

Yes, you and Greg keep stirring the pot...so much love for one's "neighbor"...and anything "Jewish". Others here have asked that this stop, but you can't resist...

Upvote 0

His Disciple

Nov 1, 2015
✟520.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Roll eyes...wow...just wow...
The name "Jesus" used in the English NT comes from the Latin form "Iesus" of the Greek name Ἰησοῦς (Iesous), a rendition of the original Hebrew "Yeshua" (ישוע).

Not only are you pulling the word "Yeshua" out of your [body part reference deleted], you're refusing to answer any of my questions. So, again, why are you using a word for Jesus that the Bible never uses? And, why are you using vowels in that name, when by your own beliefs, the use of vowels is a mark of a lack of respect?

Roll eyes all you want. Just make sure you're looking in a mirror when you do it.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.